Speculation: Could an extension for Gabe Davis be coming too?

akcash

52 minutes ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

Just goto the draft and get one next year as the receiver group in next years class is terrific.

Very interested in this point, as I'm not a close follower of draft classes. Frankly, I'm amazed by board members who have good knowledge of this stuff.

If you have a sec:

Who looks good as late Rd 1?

Also, to the Op point: over, say, 2 year period, might XYZ "resolve" our WR2/3 issue in the event GD leaves?

1 hour ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

I believe it's already in the works. There have been quite a few times this off-season where Beane mentioned getting Oliver and Davis re-signed in the same sentence. He's done everything but tattoo it across his forehead and yet many still don't believe it. 

Getting Oliver extended was step one in the process. That cleared money for the eventual Davis extension. I expect them to make an offer. Now, wether Davis takes it and signs or decides to bet on himself to have a breakout year, stay healthy and see a potential bigger payday in the off-season is another story.

How exactly does extending Oliver "clear money" for  a Davis extension?Guess I'm not following .

2 hours ago, akcash said:

Its feels like the Bills (to me) really like an believe in Gabe Davis. I think he's a pretty solid number 2 myself. I'm happy with resigning Ed Oliver and wasn't expecting it. I could see us locking down Gabe Davis too. What y'all think?

OH! Don’t tease me like that! I wouldn’t be able to look away for how this Board would melt down! THAT is must see internet!

Edited by Augie
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Dukestreetking said:

Very interested in this point, as I'm not a close follower of draft classes. Frankly, I'm amazed by board members who have good knowledge of this stuff.

If you have a sec:

Who looks good as late Rd 1?

Also, to the Op point: over, say, 2 year period, might XYZ "resolve" our WR2/3 issue in the event GD leaves?

If you have the time profootballnetwork had an excellent article on it last week 

the top 5 next year would arguably have been the number 1 receiver this year 

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/top-wrs-nfl-draft-2024/ 

Edited by 78thealltimegreat
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, LABILLBACKER said:

I think this is exactly what they'll do.  With Gabe's ankle issues and inconsistencies,  you can't pay a wr3 the money of a #2.  See what Gabe does in his final rookie contract year. If he continues with the drops then draft his replacement. I think over the next 2 years Diggs & Kincaid will be gobbling up most of the targets.

I agree LA I think the Kincaid factor looms large here if he gets caught up to the offense in short order it’s less targets for Gabe as I think the Bills feel they can get away with draft a young number 2 and not skip a beat 

35 minutes ago, JerseyBills said:

For a decent price absolutely 

For all the criticism,  he is a big time playmaker 

And he plays a huge amount of snaps.  And he plays hurt.  And he plays big boy football.  He’s not perfect, but you know what you get with that guy.  

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Herb Nightly said:

How exactly does extending Oliver "clear money" for  a Davis extension?Guess I'm not following .

His cap number for this season comes wayyyyy down most likely. Been widely speculated that it could add anywhere from $4-7M off the cap for this year. That would open the door to re-sign Davis and backload his contract a bit to fit the cap going forward. It's like numbered Tetris.

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

I think this is exactly what they'll do.  With Gabe's ankle issues and inconsistencies,  you can't pay a wr3 the money of a #2.  See what Gabe does in his final rookie contract year. If he continues with the drops then draft his replacement. I think over the next 2 years Diggs & Kincaid will be gobbling up most of the targets.

Davis has been a star in the post season the last 2 years. I think he has his best regular season with the improved protection and a conventional run game keeping defenses honest. Throw in Kincaid as big target and Davis is set up to have a big contract year performance. He will become a legitimate #2 this year. Maybe this would be the time to get a hometown deal with him.

• Like (+1) 1

Given the massive WR market in free agency I think Gabe's agent is not going to take the "hometown discount" deal that McBeane would likely want. Also, a Gabe Davis extension would likely not yield any significant cap savings. Whereas Ed Oliver was a top-10 pick playing on a pretty big fifth-year option. I think Beane in addition to keeping Ed long term and not having to fully turn over the DT room next season also wanted the short-term cap space an extension would provide. Likely I think they want the cap space to make a last move or two either to chase after Hopkins or add a vet pass rusher getting some space now was an added benefit to the Ed Oliver extension that does not really exist for Gabe Davis who has a tiny cap number.

• Like (+1) 1

Great responses in this thread. Yeah I was checking out the receivers in next years draft (jaw drop). 

Could be why Beane is loading up on picks. One of the top 3 picks would be lethal. 

Marvin Harrison Jr.

Johnny WIlson

^freaks

2 hours ago, Chicken Boo said:

There is zero reason to do it now.  

If Gabe wanted a "hometown discount" type deal taking a deal in the 8-10 million range on a modest guarantee I think McBeane would be all over it. But there is no way with the NFL WR market the way it is Gabe wouldn't want to test the market and play out his deal. Gabe with decent production could easily get 12-15 million on the open market without having a "breakout season" (if he is just a bit more efficient in 2023 he can score a big payday). It just doesn't line up for both sides.  

• Like (+1) 1

The thing is Gabe his an ankle issue all year so we don’t know what he is at this point.  He wasn’t able two years ago to step forward as Sanders became WR2.  His ankle hampered him or maybe he’s not improved.  I wouldn’t extend until after a standout year.

i listened to Sal this morning as he was a guest on NFLR this morning around 10:45 for those who have Sirius and want to listen.  He made a good point the only outside chance we extended Oliver was a cap move.  We were on the hook for $11 mil. because we put the 5th year on him.  He wasn’t trade able as no one would take that deal.  We may have lowered the cap hit on Oliver substantially to clear up cap for others.  This was a response to the D. Hop question from the hosts.

He mentioned there is a very rare chance the extra potential cap possibility is for a D. Hop pitch, or he said it could be for something else, or there is no cap savings temporarily.

What I took from this is we have no idea the details of this deal or why or what is Beane’s real strategy and all of the speculation is just a bunch of WAGs.

My point is I wouldn’t over speculate on anything right now.

• Agree 2

17 minutes ago, akcash said:

Great responses in this thread. Yeah I was checking out the receivers in next years draft (jaw drop). 

Could be why Beane is loading up on picks. One of the top 3 picks would be lethal. 

Marvin Harrison Jr.

Johnny WIlson

^freaks

McBeane likely loaded up on picks (and by loading up adding a pair of 6th-round picks and getting a high comp pick for Edumonds) because they knew that with Josh's contract and some other roster commitments, they would need to try and get as much cheap talent as possible in the upcoming drafts. The Bills barring catastrophe will be drafting in the 20's or 30's a pair of 6th round picks and a pick slotted around 97-104 isn't likely enough to move you up dramatically into the top 10 where you will need to be in order to get a player like Harrison Jr or Wilson. 

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.