Speculation: Could an extension for Gabe Davis be coming too?

akcash

Its feels like the Bills (to me) really like an believe in Gabe Davis. I think he's a pretty solid number 2 myself. I'm happy with resigning Ed Oliver and wasn't expecting it. I could see us locking down Gabe Davis too. What y'all think?

• Like (+1) 2

12 minutes ago, akcash said:

Its feels like the Bills (to me) really like an believe in Gabe Davis. I think he's a pretty solid number 2 myself. I'm happy with resigning Ed Oliver and wasn't expecting it. I could see us locking down Gabe Davis too. What y'all think?

I don’t think so unless they get a great deal from him. I think he’ll get paid decently by some team next offseason and that it’ll be more than the Bills want to (or reasonably can) pay him. The Bills were already top 3 in cash spending this season prior to the Oliver extension. They’ll likely move up to #2 with that included. Incidentally they only trail the Browns and Ravens now. That’s three of the teams that keep getting connected to Hopkins already spending the most cash now. 

• Agree 2

15 minutes ago, akcash said:

Wouldn't be opposed, but let's be honest. On the open market he'd be worth far more (money wise) to another team than he would to us. Gabe would easily command 15 per in FA. I don't see the Bills coming even close to matching that.

Honestly I actually understand Oliver and why they did it but Gabe Davis is a number 3 receiver masquerading as a number 2 receiver and is not worth the 10-15 million a year he’s going to want. 
Just goto the draft and get one next year as the receiver group in next years class is terrific. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Disagree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 4

I believe it's already in the works. There have been quite a few times this off-season where Beane mentioned getting Oliver and Davis re-signed in the same sentence. He's done everything but tattoo it across his forehead and yet many still don't believe it. 

Getting Oliver extended was step one in the process. That cleared money for the eventual Davis extension. I expect them to make an offer. Now, wether Davis takes it and signs or decides to bet on himself to have a breakout year, stay healthy and see a potential bigger payday in the off-season is another story.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

I doubt it from a cap perspective. He’s getting less than 3 million. I could see an extension during the season but not now. They need the little money 💰 they have for Nuk or a FA DE. Definitely in play for Nuk if they want. 

Edited by Paul Costa
  • Like (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, Pabstblueribbon said:

I think/hope the Oliver deal means we are going WR#1 hunting during next year's draft (if Hopkins falls through). 

I was thinking either WR or DE with next year's 1st round pick.  A young guy to go with Rousseau and Miller.  Miller's age concerns me tbh.

12 minutes ago, WotAGuy said:

I have a feeling Gabe would prefer a warm weather city to play in, along with a hefty contract.  I don’t see him staying around. 

Why?  His mom said Buffalo is perfect for Gabe.  

From everything anyone in the know has said, he wants to be in Buffalo long term. 

He can go to Florida in the off-season, and then focuses on football, with some hunting/fishing etc during the season. 

47 minutes ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

Honestly I actually understand Oliver and why they did it but Gabe Davis is a number 3 receiver masquerading as a number 2 receiver and is not worth the 10-15 million a year he’s going to want. 
Just goto the draft and get one next year as the receiver group in next years class is terrific. 

I think this is exactly what they'll do.  With Gabe's ankle issues and inconsistencies,  you can't pay a wr3 the money of a #2.  See what Gabe does in his final rookie contract year. If he continues with the drops then draft his replacement. I think over the next 2 years Diggs & Kincaid will be gobbling up most of the targets.

• Agree 1

8 minutes ago, DCbillsfan said:

I was thinking either WR or DE with next year's 1st round pick.  A young guy to go with Rousseau and Miller.  Miller's age concerns me tbh.

That makes. I just like the odds of either of those scenarios better when you don't have another hole you need to adequately fill. 

Ideally, I'd like to see Gabe absolutely ball out this season and get paid (by someone else). Then we move up from the last pick of round 1 to attempt to find our next Diggs. So our core is Diggs, Round 1 future Diggs, and Shorter who by this point has rounded into the Gabe Davis we have today. 

Solved. Make it happen BB!

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.