Congratulations to the Buffalo Bandits!

Chandler#81

6 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

It's a niche sport but it's still the top level of that sport. It's not on a par with the Bisons. 

But it kind of is because infinitely more people are competing in baseball than indoor lacrosse. The amount of people that you need to be “better than” to make it to that level is nowhere near what it is in the 4 majors. It’s harder to be Jeff Manto than to be Dhane Smith. 

Congrats to the Bandits. I watched the entire series and thoroughly enjoyed it; however, it was a little disappointing that the deciding game was only available via ESPN+. I get that's the way the world is going now but to televise the first two games 'conventionally' and then air the deciding game over stream only seemed odd to me but I managed to watch regardless. It did not bring me the joy that a title for the Bills or Sabres would but I was happy they won for sure. My younger son was even more into it than me which I thought was cool since he has never lived a day in WNY but is everything Buffalo for his sports teams.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Fine but no one is going to remember Rich Kilgore in the same breathe as Dominik Hasek. 

That's an answer to a different question.  

They don't hang banners for a team with the current longest league playoff drought...

7 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Have you followed them at all this year? Missed the playoffs by one point. Considering just 2 years ago they lost 18 in a row, I'd say they are trending up.

Yup, followed them and was pissed they missed it by that little.  Hopefully Levi gives them the goaltending they've been lacking since Miller.

19 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Congrats to the Bandits. Winning any championship is an accomplishment.

With that being said, it is on par with the Bisons winning. I hope that they do. If they don’t, I’ll be okay. I do not like how their accomplishments sit equal to the Sabres in the arena. It just doesn’t feel right to me that Rich Kilgore sits alongside Dominik Hasek. I’m fine with a Bandits HOF in the concourse. They do not belong alongside the Sabres. I don’t believe (could be wrong) that Boston recognizes lacrosse players in the same manner as Bird, Russell and Orr. 

Pre-2000, maybe on par with the Bisons winning.   AAA Baseball has turned into controlled scrimmages though over the years and has completely tossed aside any semblance of competitive sport.  Normally in the playoffs, half of the team is gone or more.  

I see what you are saying with the accomplishments sitting equal of the Sabres.  Its not equal, I dont think anyone makes that mistake.  I would say, John Tavares could be considered on a short list of a Buffalo sports greats.  We will also never see any NBA or NCAA banners up there unfortunately, and frankly, the Sabres have cheapened the honor with some hasty/questionable/laughable jersey retirements.  Doesnt Toronto have a Bon Jovi banner?  I know Philadelphia has a Pearl Jam banner.

But the Championships are something.  There are a lot of rabid fans in Denver who are really disappointed.  Fans in Rochester talking trash that the Bandits finally caught up to the Nighthawks in Championships.  It is a league with a >35 year history now.  The Bandits are the keystone franchise.  Its a cool and unique atmosphere that we should embrace.

55 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

Even more bizarre that they own two teams in the NLL. 

Yup.  And didn't realize the original Rochester Knighthawks relocated and the current team is an expansion team.

20 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Congrats to the Bandits. Winning any championship is an accomplishment.

With that being said, it is on par with the Bisons winning. I hope that they do. If they don’t, I’ll be okay. I do not like how their accomplishments sit equal to the Sabres in the arena. It just doesn’t feel right to me that Rich Kilgore sits alongside Dominik Hasek. I’m fine with a Bandits HOF in the concourse. They do not belong alongside the Sabres. I don’t believe (could be wrong) that Boston recognizes lacrosse players in the same manner as Bird, Russell and Orr. 

Remember that lacrosse started in the Lower Ontario, WNY region as an alternative to war for indigenous peoples. It is a sport heavy in tradition in this region. While the modern versions of lacrosse have spread across New England and the collegiate space, we shouldn't forget it's history.

There are some rabid fans that have been with the team since their inception.

19 hours ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

Way to go Bandits! I was bummed that the game was not televised nationally. I watched last weeks game on ESPN 2 and enjoyed it.  

By the way, anyone dissing them for attendance, are barking up the wrong tree. They averaged almost 15,000 fans per game, for LACROSSE. Buffalo fans are incredible. 

The atmosphere in the building during games is non-stop. Blasting music while game is in play, a constant moderation over the speakers starting chants (what's he got? Nothing!), the B-O-X chant, and the heavy physical play on the field usually resulting in a fight or two each game. It's just.... different. 

10 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Fine but no one is going to remember Rich Kilgore in the same breathe as Dominik Hasek. 

Your right, most won't. But some will. As a fan I'll always remember the 3 Kilgore brothers, Johnny T, etc. The building is shared by two franchises (the Bandits even have their own nice locker room). They deserve to have their banners up in the rafters too.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, Doc said:

Yup.  And didn't realize the original Rochester Knighthawks relocated and the current team is an expansion team.

Same with the original Philadelphia Wings, which became the New England Black Wolves and then the Albany Firewolves. 

If any of you guys have about $40, Bandits games are a ton of fun. There’s a great atmosphere and the team is pretty exciting. My buddies and I were there for the championship. 

21 hours ago, Taro Nimbus said:

If you wanna trash a sport, at least try to know what you're talking about.  Some of the most gifted athletes on the world play Lacrosse, and alot of them push near a million in salary

Jim Brown was an All American lacrosse player at Syracuse. 

28 minutes ago, longtimebillsfan said:

Jim Brown was an All American lacrosse player at Syracuse. 

The word is that Brown was unstoppable playing lacrosse for Syracuse.  Chris Hogan played lacrosse before football.  Also, Jared Bernhardt was voted the best college lacrosse player, played one year of D2 college football.  Ended up signing with the Falcons last year and retired this year.  Back in the 70's Rick Dudley played for the Rochester Griffins indoor lacrosse team.

One opinion. If the Bandits only pay their players $15G's and they're drawing 15,000 per home game those players are getting screwed. 

22 hours ago, Taro Nimbus said:

If you wanna trash a sport, at least try to know what you're talking about.  Some of the most gifted athletes on the world play Lacrosse, and alot of them push near a million in salary

No lacrosse player is making a million a year just to play. NLL and PLL top players get around 40k a season. If they play in both that still isn’t even close. Most guys play in multiple leagues chasing money. I think the PLL isn’t letting guys play MSL or WLA anymore while their season is going on so that will cut out some pocket change. 

43 minutes ago, Irv said:

The word is that Brown was unstoppable playing lacrosse for Syracuse.  Chris Hogan played lacrosse before football.  Also, Jared Bernhardt was voted the best college lacrosse player, played one year of D2 college football.  Ended up signing with the Falcons last year and retired this year.  Back in the 70's Rick Dudley played for the Rochester Griffins indoor lacrosse team.

One opinion. If the Bandits only pay their players $15G's and they're drawing 15,000 per home game those players are getting screwed. 

Very interesting facts.

Thank you.

5 minutes ago, BananaB said:

No lacrosse player is making a million a year just to play. NLL and PLL top players get around 40k a season. If they play in both that still isn’t even close. Most guys play in multiple leagues chasing money. I think the PLL isn’t letting guys play MSL or WLA anymore while their season is going on so that will cut out some pocket change. 

You are correct.  The best PLL players don’t make more than 40-50K per season.  Some of the best, however, make well north of a million per year when you include their endorsement deals, summer camp tours, and merchandising/apparel lines.  Paul Rabil had a million dollar endorsement deal with Adidas well before he even left the MLL to create the PLL with his brother.  Lyle Thompson has a very substantial endorsement deal with Nike, and he (along with his brothers/cousins) owns a very lucrative apparel company.  These are just a couple examples.

Judging a sport based on how much money the athletes earn is kind of foolish though.  Don’t you think?  There are a lot of sports I love where the athletes don’t make a lot of money and play mostly for the love of the sport.

• Agree 1

On 6/4/2023 at 11:05 AM, AlCowlingsTaxiService said:

For me, the Bandits we always about a cheap night out for my kids when they were young. Otherwise I didn’t much care about them, but last evening I had friends twist my arm and I ended up going. Absolutely electric atmosphere and well worth my time and money. It definitely made me long for  Bills (and the sabres) to win their championship. 

The Bandits are maybe the most fun ticket in town, and that includes the Bills. Once you add up the cost of a Bills ticket, parking, time commitment, plus limping through the next day, the Bandits certainly hold their own. I always have a ton of fun at a reasonable cost. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.