Ed Oliver big extension

HappyDays

A lot of consternation came from the initial report that we gave him $45 million guaranteed. But it appears that is not actually true. Unless I'm missing something this is a very team friendly deal and the initial report was a straight up lie.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

17 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

That's what we are talking about here with Oliver.    He has had a few great games but has yet to either play the snaps of.....or produce numbers that resemble a top DT.    I do agree that the floor needs to become AT LEAST 70% of the snaps......you can't be running in liabilities like Jordan Phillips or Brandin Bryant for 45% of the damn snaps and paying Ed $17M. :lol:  But that 70% is like 200 more snaps than he played just last season(presuming he plays 17).   It's a lot easier said than done.........and with those snaps he needs to add more than 1-2 sacks of production.

He simply has to become a MUCH better player.    That's generally not how these contracts are earned.

I have never quite understood the thought process on how Oliver is used.     

It would make sense to me if he's hurt why the snap count is what it is despite being a top-10 pick.  I'm not buying that it's completely driven by that.  I suspect it's also in part a result of McD's DL rotational mindset.  

And if that's the case, spending top picks on DT's who will be used this way seems mis-aligned.  I'd expect the better DL to be on the field if they're relatively healthy, which down the stretch is harder.  37 snaps per game and 54-60% over a season on contract terms he signed for seems like a mis-use of resources.   

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, HappyDays said:

A lot of consternation came from the initial report that we gave him $45 million guaranteed. But it appears that is not actually true. Unless I'm missing something this is a very team friendly deal and the initial report was a straight up lie.

NFL contracts infuriate me. "Fully" guarantee is redundant. If the other "guarantees" are not 100% for sure going to happen then they aren't guarantees are they?

To get back on topic for Oliver, based on initial reports I thought this was a rather bad contract with 45 mil guaranteed. With "fully" guaranteed money of only 24 mil this is actually a good deal. 

• Disagree 1

36 minutes ago, nucci said:

so it could be a 1 year deal.

12 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

So it's like two one year deals

It’s effectively a 3 year, $48.4M deal with two optional years after that. The outs after this year and next would be expensive, but the offsets would help if we had to get out early. It’s an overpay, but I very much like the structure. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

26 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

So it's like two one year deals

That $20.75m cap hit in 2025 is the big decision IMO. If he isn't living up to his contract they can cut him for $8.85m in dead cap that year. Not a bad risk/reward.

• Like (+1) 2

48 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

And means they are not at 0 DTs under contract for 2024.

I know that's important and you need to fill a roster

I like this a little better now but still have concerns...not about Oliver per se because he's a good player, more the philosophy that these types of deals for his caliber of player represents

5 hours ago, Maine-iac said:

Just because of all the snap count talk I was looking into it and from mid season on nobody played more snaps on the D line than Oliver and he actually averaged 70 percent per game the second half of the season.  Seeing how he was injured the first half it stands to reason he played less then.  More than Hargrove or Cox over the second half of the season.   About on par with Reader but not as many as Hill or Jones.  I think Reader is a great comparison actually.  The money is similar the play is similar.  About where it lies for me.  A middle of the road contract for a solid player with a hint of upside left at his age.  If we resigned him at 21 or 22 mil a year like Hargrove or Payne I'd feel a lot worse about it.  Sign a big bodied DT to play beside him he plays the role of penetrating DT pretty well and stands a good chance of playing up to the dollar value of what we signed him at.

https://www.footballguys.com/stats/snap-counts/teams?team=BUF&year=2022

Like I said.......he's averaged just a bit under 56% and played 60% of the snaps IN THE GAMES HE DIDN'T MISS ENTIRELY last season(he missed 3 entirely).   He's not being unfairly judged because of injury he actually only played around 50% of the teams total defensive snaps last year.

And 70% of snaps played isn't any kind of standard.......it's something someone in this thread made up as a figure they think is a gold standard.

The standard of the best DT's 80%+ snaps OR outrageous production on less than 80% of snaps.

The 3 DT's picked right after Ed Oliver all played OVER 80% of the snaps last season and had a whopping 300-400+ more snaps than Ed's feeble 527.  

Quinnen Williams is used more like Ed Oliver and only played 690 snaps last year but he put up 12 sacks and 28 QB hits to Ed's meager 2.5 sacks and 14 QB hits.    

Ed's something of a taint.    He aint an every down, high production DT like his draft classmates Wilkins, Lawrence or Simmons........but his actual production is also pathetic compared to guys like Quinnen or Hargrave who play less than 80% but do it in a dominant fashion.

But Ed is being paid second only to Aaron Donald on a per snap basis based on his career average of 570 snaps per season(which forgives his particularly low snap counts last season to an extent).

Oliver gets a few more hits on the QB than Poona Ford but his sack and tackle production is very much like $2M Poona Ford in recent years.    Poona also plays about mid 50% of his teams snaps but he also plays a lot more 1T or NT position where he gets less chances to shoot gaps and has more run responsibility than Ed Oliver typically does.    

This Oliver contract is a MASSIVE overpay based on what Oliver has shown so far.    That's the bottom line.   Maybe he is an instance where a player gets paid by a team anticipating a huge improvement in his play and he actually does that.   He's talented so maybe.   But based on what he's done it's a terrible deal.

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Just some perspective on Ed Oliver.  Let's compare him to another undersized former Bills DT, Kyle Williams after 4 years in the league.

Games Started: Williams 57 > Oliver 53.
Total Tackles: Williams 215 > Oliver 151..

TFLs: Williams 32  > Oliver 30,

Sacks: Williams 8 < Oliver 14.5

QB Hits:  Williams 29 <  Oliver 42

Williams received an early extension in July 2008 for 3 years at $14.4mm total.  In 2011 he recieved another 6 year extension for $40mm with $17mm guaranteed.  

I guess given the similar numbers in their first 4 years the Oliver signing is understandable.  It was in 2010, his 5th year that Williams was named a Pro Bowl and 2nd Team All Pro.  Might we see the same from Ed Oliver this year?

Edited by freddyjj
  • Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, freddyjj said:

Just some perspective on Ed Oliver.  Let's compare him to another undersized former Bills DT, Kyle Williams after 4 years in the league.

Williams received an early extension in July 2008 for 3 years at $14.4mm total.  In 2011 he recieved another 6 year extension for $40mm with $17mm guaranteed.  

I guess given the similar numbers in their first 4 years the Oliver signing is understandable.  It was in 2011, his 5th year that Williams was named a Pro Bowl and 2nd Team All Pro.  Might we see the same from Ed Oliver this year?

Yes but how many snaps did he play?  :)

• Haha (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, freddyjj said:

I guess given the similar numbers in their first 4 years the Oliver signing is understandable.  It was in 2011, his 5th year that Williams was named a Pro Bowl and 2nd Team All Pro.  Might we see the same from Ed Oliver this year?

If he does, you will be the main reason why.

• Haha (+1) 1

Oliver's press conference is interesting.  He isn't the best speaker, but he's genuine.   You can tell how confident he is.  Solid guy. 

Best part is the end.   Someone asked him about whether he's accomplished all he hoped, and he said "we have everything, but we don't have the hardware.  We have the oline, we have the dline, we have the coach, we have the owner."   HE said he wants to win a lot of Super Bowls.  It was cool.  

This team is all in.  Love it. 

• Like (+1) 3

23 hours ago, PrimeTime101 said:

guess you still miss the part that he was double teamed all game. He was basically playing the role of a 1 tech. that is what they do. take on double teams.

Guess you missed the regular season where he impacted not much. Hey if he gets a burst and penetrates he can be successful.  If not, he gets ragdolled by the OL. There's been plenty of games he dissappears.

• Disagree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.