Ed Oliver big extension

HappyDays

Just now, PBF81 said:

Well, I guess we'll find out.  I think you'd find the other two articles that I linked somewhere above, probably in the last page or two, very interesting on that point.  They may change your take there.  

One was by SI the other by TSN as I recall.  

Okay, I'll give them a look, but if Peter Pan shows up I'm putting you on ignore.

• Haha (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

Okay, I'll give them a look, but if Peter Pan shows up I'm putting you on ignore.

LOL   Thanks for the humor!!!  I think I appreciate it more than anyone in these kinds of conversations.  

3 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

If Rick Astley shows up don't blame me.  

11 minutes ago, PrimeTime101 said:

Wrong sir. IT is a good deal because Other players at his same Calibur are going to get paid more... making it a better deal next year. We can not have all stars at every position mate. There is a word that goes around the NFL. It is called Servable. Oliver is better than Servable. 

Imo filing your roster w better than serviceable guys is how you end up always making the playoffs and never the Super Bowl. 

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, K-9 said:

So every team in the league except KC is a joke then. Got it. 

It's necessary to have players that step up in the playoffs as everyone knows.  Unfortunately Oliver has not been among those that have.  

16 minutes ago, Chaos said:

How many DT's are on NFL Roster? Do you really think Oliver is currently the 11th best? This isn't like QBs where each team has 1.  Most teams (particularly the Bills rotate multiple DTs).  Oliver did not even rank in the top 32, in snaps played in 2022. PFF ranked Oliver 43 best interior lineman in 2023.  Not that PFF is the begin all and end all of player evaluations, but they do get paid a lot of money by NFL teams for their analysis, so it is not like it totally make believe either.  This extension is based on Beane and McDermott being smarter than everyone else when grading interior linemen in the NFL. 

It’s a fair question, I suppose, but it’s totally irrelevant to his value in the marketplace right now. Contract values do not equate well to “rankings by position”. 

14 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

Well, I guess we'll find out.  I think you'd find the other two articles that I linked somewhere above, probably in the last page or two, very interesting on that point.  They may change your take there.  

One was by SI the other by TSN as I recall.  

The second one was more thorough. I'm under the impression Hopkins recently added an agent. If they are realistic about his options, it's possible the Bills could be a player at a more reasonable price point. Not sure Hopkins is there yet, but as you say, we'll have to wait and see what happens. I don't deny he is a risk, btw, but the way I see it, he gives you an outside receiver for the short and intermediate routes that still has great hands. Davis can still run the go routes as a third option. If the oline is significantly improved that will make the largest difference regardless of who is playing WR2.

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

I think the idea is draft a replacement and save the dollars for bigger impact on offense

They've spent plenty on dline

Drafting is not always the solution. You say that like you know what you are getting from the draft, Drafting players at times is like rolling dice. You may roll snake eyes or you may roll box cars. This is crystal ball stuff you are saying here. 

1 minute ago, The Wiz said:

Compared to the 20th+ place trophies over the years, I'm sure you do.

Not to be argumentative but the difference in satisfaction between 20th and second vs 2nd and 1st is something I would like to be able to quantify firsthand at some point

Just now, PrimeTime101 said:

Drafting is not always the solution. You say that like you know what you are getting from the draft, Drafting players at times is like rolling dice. You may roll snake eyes or you may roll box cars. This is crystal ball stuff you are saying here. 

And that Oliver improves into a bona fide top10 DE is just an inevitably right

• Like (+1) 3

23 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

It's necessary to have players that step up in the playoffs as everyone knows.  Unfortunately Oliver has not been among those that have.  

Oliver or no Oliver, the Bills are the second best team over the last three years. No matter how you slice it, that is not a joke as has been alleged. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

Not to be argumentative but the difference in satisfaction between 20th and second vs 2nd and 1st is something I would like to be able to quantify firsthand at some point

And that Oliver improves into a bona fide top10 DE is just an inevitably right

yep and at that point either way, this whole conversation will be mute. People in Olivers range will be paid more because Oliver was last to set market at his range. OR Oliver turns out to be better and less injuries. this could seriously go either way. But I look at it cup half full 

9 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

I don't think anyone is going to argue that.  The difference in the best teams usually comes down to the day it seems who has fate on their side.

Calling this franchise "a joke" like bigfoot did is wanting your cake and eating it too after 17 years of no playoffs to becoming a team that has been in the playoffs for  5 of 6 season as a head coach and beane doing what he does.

I get it, we are there and need to finish but at the same time, enjoy what you have while you have it.

Edited by The Wiz
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.