Ed Oliver big extension

HappyDays

7 minutes ago, Chaos said:

Statistics don't work particularly well for football in general, compared to MLB at least.  It seems like teams should have some concept analogous to WAR (wins against replacement).  It seems to me, that DT has a pretty small impact among all players.  Oliver is going to be better than some guy get $4 million a season.  The tougher question is that difference worth 13 million, or can that 13 million have a bigger impact at a different position. 

I think it’s more of, if you are an interior Dlineman and your run defense is always horrendous, you probably aren’t very good. All I need those guys to do is either give my LBs a chance to stop the run or stop it yourself. People get hung up on these 1 tech 3tech in a 4 man front. If I’m running the defense, I have two 330+lb DTs on the field. I don’t need my interior guy to be penetrating. If they can, fine. I want my inside guys to occupy enough space and blockers to allow my edge and skill players to make plays. I don’t want the middle of my defense to be able to be run on. I’ll take 0 sacks from in there so long as things are being bounced outside. I want the inside of my Dline to be a wall. Even when everyone loved Kyle…we could never stop the run. I don’t need a guy sneaking through for 7 or 8 sacks if you are getting blown backwards when a team gets down hill. Or coming up with false pressure all the time and getting exposed behind.

• Like (+1) 2

I hate this signing so much that I don’t even know where to begin.

Go watch Chris Jones or big Jeff Simmons play, then go watch Oliver.

Guy is so average it hurts.

What an absolute horrible move by Brandon Beane my god.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

3 minutes ago, McBean said:

I think it might be time to change your username. 

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 5

10 minutes ago, McBean said:

Now go read some contracts. Chris Jones will get $25 million a season. Oliver got exactly what he should get.

He got an average contract.

• Like (+1) 5

1 hour ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

They can do whatever they want with $8 million in cap space. I think they want to add a pass rusher.

What makes you think this? Have they said something to indicate it or is this just projection based off what you would like to see? Not an attack... genuinely curious if I missed something Beane said.

17 hours ago, zevo said:

Gotta think he is a major piece in mcd defense 

There’s always the possibility he was drafted with a certain vision in mind, and Frazier failed to use him in that specific way. If this is true whatsoever, we should quickly find out this year with McD fully in charge of the D.

• Like (+1) 2

45 minutes ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

I think it’s more of, if you are an interior Dlineman and your run defense is always horrendous, you probably aren’t very good. All I need those guys to do is either give my LBs a chance to stop the run or stop it yourself. People get hung up on these 1 tech 3tech in a 4 man front. If I’m running the defense, I have two 330+lb DTs on the field. I don’t need my interior guy to be penetrating. If they can, fine. I want my inside guys to occupy enough space and blockers to allow my edge and skill players to make plays. I don’t want the middle of my defense to be able to be run on. I’ll take 0 sacks from in there so long as things are being bounced outside. I want the inside of my Dline to be a wall. Even when everyone loved Kyle…we could never stop the run. I don’t need a guy sneaking through for 7 or 8 sacks if you are getting blown backwards when a team gets down hill. Or coming up with false pressure all the time and getting exposed behind.

The interesting thing about this comment is it’s the opposite of the way the NFL is moving.

Two 330lb DT’s and you don’t care if they get pressure? I pray that defenses try this against the Bills. It’s an automatic pocket for Josh and we pass 50+ times that game.

The reason 3Techs are getting paid $20M+ now is it is a PASSING league and if you can get pressure from 3 or 4 D-Linemen, you can drop more into coverage and prevent the pass.

There’s a reason 3-5 of the top 10 picks in seemingly every draft the last 5 years are penetration style DT’s.

• Like (+1) 2

Not sure about this one. They obviously see something in him that's not clear to a lot of us that have watched him every game since he was drafted. He has a couple good games a year and then disappears for huge stretches and he has always been a liability against the run IMO.

I have to think there's FAs out there that could be had for much cheaper that have had similar production to Ed. This is a pretty big contract for a career meh player.

Expectations will be higher than they've ever been for him this year. 

• Disagree 4
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

12 hours ago, PrimeTime101 said:

you can not possibly know what was said to Oliver privately or not. 

And if you are going to quote something lets quote it proper.

“Just continue to play the game as much as possible from the neck up,”  (people on these boards have destroyed this comment)

Continue to is a far cry from saying "he needs to start to" << assumptions made that this is the case by some on these boards. 

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2023/06/02/bills-defensive-line-coach-wants-to-see-ed-oliver-play-football-from-the-neck-up/

You're right, here's the full quote:

“[Oliver] just continue to play the game as much as possible from the neck up. When you have the kind of talent Ed has, you have to understand situations that could mean the difference between separating yourself from the opponent (and saying), ‘I have to able to process very, very quickly so I can win my one-on-one so I can play ahead of the play as opposed to playing with the sequence of that particular play.’

“With Ed, from an experience standpoint, we need him to play ahead as opposed to with the tempo of the play so (understanding) situations, certain nuances with certain calls and understanding where he can take advantage based on his position (is important).”

That's not a compliment or saying they're satisfied with his play. It's talking about areas he needs to improve. (Read the article the quote is from below, it's not just this board, but also members of the sports media that saw this as calling him out). Clearly they want more out of him. With the amount of pay it does appear they expect they will get it. Let's hope they do, it would be a big boost for the D this year. 🤞🙏

https://heavy.com/sports/buffalo-bills/ed-oliver-contract-eric-washington-comments/

3 hours ago, JerseyBills said:

I said this earlier.  McD was 100% in on this decision and obviously feels Ed will have a huge impact in this D. I think he just needs the right partner next to him , I love Ford pickup and Jones was 🔥 last year but they clearly have a plan for him going forward to produce 

Nope. Go watch the highlight video someone posted today. Oliver faced a single blocker the majority of the time. Even then very few sacks. He's just not that good. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, Billz4ever said:

Not sure about this one. They obviously see something in him that's not clear to a lot of us that have watched him every game since he was drafted. He has a couple good games a year and then disappears for huge stretches and he has always been a liability against the run IMO.

I have to think there's FAs out there that could be had for much cheaper that have had similar production to Ed. This is a pretty big contract for a career meh player.

Expectations will be higher than they've ever been for him this year. 

He has NEVER been a liability against the run.  He holds the POA like a much bigger player.  And good luck getting elite pass rush production out of a street free agent.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.