Ed Oliver big extension

HappyDays

9 minutes ago, BillMafia716ix said:

They are determined to make the Ed Oliver pick work. 

I don't think there's any evidence of that at all.  These guys aren't about trying to prove bad decisions actually are good decisions.  They didn't keep Edmunds to make that pick work.  They didn't keep Singletary to make that pick work.  They didn't keep Cody Ford to make that pick work.   

They extended Oliver because he fits what they're trying to do on defense and he was willing to take compensation that made sense to the Bills.   

• Like (+1) 6
  • Agree 5
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

Perhaps to some people this post would be very clear.

In any case, the D was worse when Edmunds was out. It was not hard to see.

I mean he's a very good LB. I just think for this specific D he is very replaceable and watching a random game, it shows his instincts are terrible 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

In any case, the D was worse when Edmunds was out. It was not hard to see.

This is flat out true.  

What remains to be seen is whether the defense will be worse without him this season.   That's the big question for this season.  I'm betting on McDermott.  

I keep quoting Babich, who said the other day the same thing Beane and McDermott say all the time.  They want football players - meaning tough, hard-nosed, smart, aggressive athletes.  Edmunds wasn't one of those.   He was good, and the defense worked well with him out there, but he never became the kind of player McDermott wants.  I will not be surprised, at all, if Dorian Williams turns out to be the guy. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, JerseyBills said:

I mean he's a very good LB. I just think for this specific D he is very replaceable and watching a random game, it shows his instincts are terrible 

Excited to see how a much smaller Williams who has much better instincts can evolve that part of our defense.

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

I don't think there's any evidence of that at all.  These guys aren't about trying to prove bad decisions actually are good decisions.  They didn't keep Edmunds to make that pick work.  They didn't keep Singletary to make that pick work.  They didn't keep Cody Ford to make that pick work.   

They extended Oliver because he fits what they're trying to do on defense and he was willing to take compensation that made sense to the Bills.   

spot on

2 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

This is flat out true.  

What remains to be seen is whether the defense will be worse without him this season.   That's the big question for this season.  I'm betting on McDermott.  

I keep quoting Babich, who said the other day the same thing Beane and McDermott say all the time.  They want football players - meaning tough, hard-nosed, smart, aggressive athletes.  Edmunds wasn't one of those.   He was good, and the defense worked well with him out there, but he never became the kind of player McDermott wants.  I will not be surprised, at all, if Dorian Williams turns out to be the guy. 

Yeah I really liked the Williams pick once I started reading more about him and seeing more games of his in College.

8 minutes ago, StHustle said:

Excited to see how a much smaller Williams who has much better instincts can evolve that part of our defense.

Idk if this is sarcasm but I agree regardless , Williams lacks the size but has incredible Instincts 

Feel like it will result in much better results in his rookie contract 

P.S - Milano is a BEAST and perfect example of instincts vs size

Edited by JerseyBills
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Here are my thoughts. These and a cup of coffee will get you a cup of coffee. I also don’t profess to watch “film”.

That said, and disclaimers over, I think Ed is a very talented DT. The best in the league? Probably not. Hasn’t shown it yet. But this contract isn’t for the best. A tweet earlier said it was for 16th best which will quickly become 18th best. Then 20th best as more get their extensions. That starts to feel right. 

Add on to that (and here I’m really using my gut feelings or gas; still haven’t decided) that Ed is likely viewed as our most talented  DT and he likely gets the attention commensurate with that from opposing O lines. 

Now you would hope that he could transcend that attention on a more regular basis like a Chris Jones. They must feel he has the ability to up his game coupled with him being paid as an almost great player which he qualifies for. Let’s hope he transitions to all pro great and out performs the contract. But for now, getting paid as the 16th best DT isn’t a travesty, it’s just sticker shock. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, PrimeTime101 said:

here is a dude that knows what he is talking about. 

Give me a BIG one tech DT next to Oliver. I would take that as well. 

This thread has been hilarious and Mike Catalana showing off his Drew Bledsoe "Donahoe Clown Suit" road jersey just added to it. :lol:

1 hour ago, Shaw66 said:

I think this tells us a few things:

1.  Since it looks like Oliver's currently the 11th best paid defensive tackle in the league, with a few guys who will come off their rookie contracts who will pass him in the next year or two, it means the Bills didn't overpay for him. 

He's currently the 16th highest paid DT at 15.75m a year.  He'll be 18th after Wilkins and Williams gets their deal.  It's about where he should be imo.  My biggest concern is he gets lazy Dareus style but McBeane know his work habits much better than we do.

Edited by Doc Brown
  • Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Bongo said:

Here are my thoughts. These and a cup of coffee will get you a cup of coffee. I also don’t profess to watch “film”.

That said, and disclaimers over, I think Ed is a very talented DT. The best in the league? Probably not. Hasn’t shown it yet. But this contract isn’t for the best. A tweet earlier said it was for 16th best which will quickly become 18th best. Then 20th best as more get their extensions. That starts to feel right. 

Add on to that (and here I’m really using my gut feelings or gas; still haven’t decided) that Ed is likely viewed as our most talented  DT and he likely gets the attention commensurate with that from opposing O lines. 

Now you would hope that he could transcend that attention on a more regular basis like a Chris Jones. They must feel he has the ability to up his game coupled with him being paid as an almost great player which he qualifies for. Let’s hope he transitions to all pro great and out performs the contract. But for now, getting paid as the 16th best DT isn’t a travesty, it’s just sticker shock. 

This is an excellent post and I would only add to it that the fact that's he's well-respected by all his brothers and coaches is a decisive factor as well.

• Like (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, Bills!Win! said:

This year I’m the least excited I’ve been about the Bills since the EJ Manuel days…

That's a you problem, not a Bills problem.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Bongo said:

11th I believe 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.