Ed Oliver big extension

HappyDays

11 minutes ago, Donuts and Doritos said:

Washington publicly saying to the press (not Oliver privately) that he needs to improve at playing from the neck up, is certainly calling him out. So was Beane saying he's "left some meat on the bone". (That's not how they typically talk about players publicly). They're clearly trying to light a fire under him. 

you can not possibly know what was said to Oliver privately or not. 

And if you are going to quote something lets quote it proper.

“Just continue to play the game as much as possible from the neck up,”  (people on these boards have destroyed this comment)

Continue to is a far cry from saying "he needs to start to" << assumptions made that this is the case by some on these boards. 

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2023/06/02/bills-defensive-line-coach-wants-to-see-ed-oliver-play-football-from-the-neck-up/

Like most everyone except @Gunner and a few others, I didn't see this coming.   

A lot of fans around here want a top-five player at every position, and that's simply unreasonable.   No team can afford to pay top-five rates to everyone. 

I think this tells us a few things:

1.  Since it looks like Oliver's currently the 11th best paid defensive tackle in the league, with a few guys who will come off their rookie contracts who will pass him in the next year or two, it means the Bills didn't overpay for him. 

2.  It also means that McDermott doesn't think he needs a star at defensive tackle.   He needs a certain kind of guy, and Oliver apparent is the kind of 3-tech he wants.  The Bills paid for an edge, but they won't pay for a DT.

3.  It's also interesting to compare him to Edmunds.  Edmunds got top four or five money, and Beane wouldn't pay that, not for Edmunds.  If Edmunds would have taken top-10 or 12 money, he probably would still be a Bill.  

4.  This also relates to the discussion I had today with @Chaos about the philosophy of going after the one-year rental guy to make a Super Bowl run.  It just doesn't seem to be McBeane's way.  They'll pay an Oliver nice but not outrageous money to keep him long term rather than write a short-term check.  (Of course, maybe getting this done frees some cap money so that Beane now can afford the rental - who knows?)  

I would say that Beane has made very few mistakes on extending players.   He didn't lose Poyer.  He didn't lose MIlano.  He kept Taron Johnson.  He extended Diggs.  Allen, of course, was a no-brainer.   Beane has extended players for good reasons, and I'd bet that this will turn out to be a good move, too. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, The Firebaugh Kid said:

He is going to become the absolute whipping boy of this fanbase if he doesn’t start producing in big moments, right away.

Doubt it. Only if the defense struggles. Olive typically is unnoticeable in games, good or bad. I’m probably the biggest Oliver skeptic on this board. People don’t like when I criticize him, at least in the past.

4 minutes ago, PrimeTime101 said:

here is a dude that knows what he is talking about. 

Give me a BIG one tech DT next to Oliver. I would take that as well. 

Poona and Jones already signed.

2 hours ago, bearstobills said:

Are you sure about superior?  Have you seen their WR room?  No Mahomes No Superbowl.  It's that simple.  

And no Allen, no regular season wins to brag on.  Yes, their team is better and constructed to win in today’s NFL,  meanwhile the Bills have a questionable offensive line, 1WR who’s ever been anything and a bunch of nobody’s around Allen, but oh boy do our rotational DL guys / ST aces get paid.

52 minutes ago, JerseyBills said:

I mean. We were 4-0 when Dodson started at the same time. When he and the coaching staff had time to prepare

That's a very questionable argument. Would've been a good one if the wins and losses came down to how well Dodson played. They didn't. Had much more to do with, in the two games Dodson started this year and played a majority of snaps, our offense scoring 38 and 31 and our facing Pittsburgh and Cleveland, two very low to mediocre teams and offenses in the league.

The offense and STs are beside the point in a discussion of Edmunds and how he affects a game. When Edmunds was out, the defense was a lot worse.

Hopefully, bringing in Poona and a healthy Da'Quan will make the job easier for whoever has it next, and that person will grow and improve.

Edited by Thurman#1

4 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Doubt it. Only if the defense struggles. Olive typically is unnoticeable in games, good or bad. I’m probably the biggest Oliver skeptic on this board. People don’t like when I criticize him, at least in the past.

Poona and Jones already signed.

good point. I do not mind criticism of a player. There were a few games... boy he deserved it.. what i hate is.. bad narratives. You never gave me a bad narrative, so I respect you for it. Oliver is the last DT signed. IT did not set the market and yet it did for his talent level right? So he being paid around 15th now?  How much will that number sink when the next 15 are signed over the next year. By then his paycheck numbers will make sense. 

I always like having the good conversations with you.

Respect. 

6 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

That's a very questionable argument. Would've been a good one if the wins and losses came down to how well Dodson played. They didn't. Had much more to do with, in the two games Dodson started this year and played a majority of snaps, our offense scoring 38 and 31 and our facing Pittsburgh and Cleveland, two very low to mediocre teams and offenses in the league.

The offense and STs are beside the point in a discussion of Edmunds and how he affects a game. When Edmunds was out, the defense was a lot worse.

Hopefully, bringing in Poona and a healthy Da'Quan will make the job easier for whoever has it next, and that person will grow and improve.

If you're watching.  That's a perfect example,  Edmunds got confused as usual and cost em 40 yards

1 hour ago, StHustle said:

Just curious...do you judge players the same when they play healthy as when they play through injuries that limits them 🤔

Just looking at Oliver's entire career, I just think he needs to play better and make a more consistent impact regardless of any other factors.

He'll be here for a lot longer, so he'll have the opportunity to show us all that he can do those things.

• Like (+1) 1

51 minutes ago, Einstein said:

I agree the contract isn’t horrible, but it’s literally only 0.5M from being in the top 10 of all DT contracts. Definitely not average in my opinion.

Newer contracts usually land on the higher end of that spectrum, though. As other guys sign extensions and new contracts, that will push Oliver's down pretty quickly.

1 minute ago, MJS said:

Just looking at Oliver's entire career, I just think he needs to play better and make a more consistent impact regardless of any other factors.

He'll be here for a lot longer, so he'll have the opportunity to show us all that he can do those things.

The potential is Sky high. I think McD definitely had alot of input and felt Ed will be a force in his defense 

4 minutes ago, JerseyBills said:

If you're watching.  That's a perfect example,  Edmunds got confused as usual and cost em 40 yards

Perhaps to some people this post would be very clear.

In any case, the D was worse when Edmunds was out. It was not hard to see.

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.