Ed Oliver big extension

HappyDays

11 minutes ago, StHustle said:

He isn't even paid in the top half of #1 DTs in the league but feel his contract means he should be "changing games regularly" ?? By next offseason his contract won't be in the top 20. Let Beane cook.

All your numbers are off

You stay whores are hilarious. It's more to his job that won't show up on a stay sheet.

Your idea of numbers is off. Look, you are enamored with Beane, that’s cool. But this isn’t an attack on him for filling a position a year earlier that is likely to become a problem. It’s how he’s done it. Your statement of “he isn’t even paid in the top half of #1 DTs” is wild. Because he is precisely paid in the top half when it comes to guarantees in the contract he signed. So I’m not seeing how you come to that conclusion. Secondly, please don’t disparage my belief that he should be “changing games regularly”. He should. Without question. Especially as in your post you believe him to be the #1 DT on this team…

Top 10 draft pick. #6 in guaranteed salary with this new contract.

Pretty simple there brother… they view/ed him as a game changer talent to draft him that high and have paid him so. Yet statistics show he has a tendency to disappear when it matters. 

Again, don’t disparage my post because you disagree. Especially when your tee-off statement is inaccurate. 

1 minute ago, JerseyBills said:

Edmunds lack of instincts killed us. If he wasn't so physically gifted he'd be a JAG 

Just too many plays he was out of position,  especially on play action 

Look how badly the defense fell apart when he went out during the 2nd half of the Vikings game. I felt like he finally started putting it together last season. Expect much more completions over the middle next year. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

Look how badly the defense fell apart when he went out during the 2nd half of the Vikings game. I felt like he finally started putting it together last season. Expect much more completions over the middle next year. 

I mean. We were 4-0 when Dodson started at the same time. When he and the coaching staff had time to prepare

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, MJS said:

Oliver does need to play better, though. I think we can all agree on that.

I do and I think he is capable of it.

2 minutes ago, StHustle said:

Just curious...do you judge players the same when they play healthy as when they play through injuries that limits them 🤔

Playing better does start with him staying healthy.

Ed is a good football player.  I think he is getting paid a little more than what his performance has shown, but nothing too outrageous.

My general thoughts for the signing are this.

The $45M in guarantees no doubt has the $10.7M fully guaranteed 5th year option money baked into it.

So, it ends up being $34M in new guarantees.  That half the contract or 2 years of the 4.  There will be an out for Beane if he needs it.

I'm going to wait to see what all the contract details are, but it seems to me that Beane will ultimately save around $6M or so on this year's cap

which is what he needs to get through the season.

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

The contract isn’t bad at all. It’s market value for an average starting DT. There will be like 10DTs that pass him over the next 2 years. 

I agree the contract isn’t horrible, but it’s literally only 0.5M from being in the top 10 of all DT contracts. Definitely not average in my opinion.

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Einstein said:

I agree the contract isn’t horrible, but it’s literally only 0.5M from being in the top 10 of all DT contracts. Definitely not average in my opinion.

Can’t look now, have to look in the future. Looking now is how gauge the market. He was getting at least $17 million based on market now. In the next 1-2 years this deal will be in the 20’s ranked.

4 hours ago, PrimeTime101 said:

Accept some of us did not look at that as a call out, just some things they feel he will improve upon. 

Washington publicly saying to the press (not Oliver privately) that he needs to improve at playing from the neck up, is certainly calling him out. So was Beane saying he's "left some meat on the bone". (That's not how they typically talk about players publicly). They're clearly trying to light a fire under him. 

About where he should be at 16th in average annual value money wise among IDL at 15.75m with the price only going up.  Don’t love it or hate it.  He’s an above average three technique when healthy.  Thought he was older than 25 so he’s got that going for him.

I guess this puts the Ed Oliver trade rumors to rest.

5 hours ago, BattlinBill said:

Does this mean we finally have a dt signed for next year?🤔

Heh heh. It does.

For me, a mild surprise. Thought it was reasonably likely to happen, but was by no means sure. And the timing is a bit of a surprise.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.