Ed Oliver big extension

HappyDays

1 minute ago, PBF81 said:

8 Playoff Games 

2 Sacks, 4 TFLs, 5 QB Hits 

Of those, 1 Sack, 1 TFL, and 3 QB Hits were against Skylar Thompson

In the other 7 playoff games he's given us 1 Sack, 3 TFLs, and 2 QB Hits.  Which is poor no matter how it's addressed.  

Our problem is the Playoffs, not the regular season.  

I'm pretty sure that they had most of this worked out prior to the end of the week.  Wouldn't you say?  

Hence my point about the biggest moments. He’s a good player, not knocking or throwing shade his way. But from financial and draft capital stand points, he’s not meeting expectations. At least to me. 

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, julian said:

You’ve made a sound argument, I’m going to hope Oliver plays a big part of a championship run and the front office can choose to part ways after year 3 of the contract if they’re so inclined.

You've seen his Playoff stats that I've posted a couple of times now, I think a few posts above too.  They're far from impressive.  

But thanks, and yeah, we'll see.  Hopefully we're all talking about what a great deal we got come January.  

• Agree 1

13 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

When was it reported that we didn't offer him anything and he was cool with signing here at whatever price we'd pay and didn't want to test FA?

Just because we didn't sign him to an extension the year before doesn't mean one was never offered and he was never in the plans.

Beane talked all offseason about how much he would have loved to have him back but just couldn't afford to compete with that offer.

what offer was Beane competing with last year?

6 minutes ago, BBFL said:

Hence my point about the biggest moments. He’s a good player, not knocking or throwing shade his way. But from financial and draft capital stand points, he’s not meeting expectations. At least to me. 

Agree, and that's why IMO the move reeks of desperation.  We obviously couldn't afford to pay every player that plays at that level comparably at his position.   

5 minutes ago, CoudyBills said:

Feels like this era of the Bills is going to be the team that almost got there.  

This season is going to be incredibly revealing of many things.  First time that McD will be facing a non-easy schedule and a Division in which any of three teams can legitimately win it, and with NE refusing to go away.  

I have a hunch that if we either don't advance to the AFC CG or if we blow it via coaching again, that there's going to be a significant cascade of criticism to come.  

Edited by PBF81
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, BuffaloBillsGospel2014 said:

I don't love or hate Ed Oliver, I think people want him to be Chris Jones but if that were the case we probably couldn't come close to affording him. He's signed right now as the 12th highest paid DT in the league and as many of these analysts are saying they think he took a home town discount because they're saying he could have had a big pay day had he waited it out but he loves it here. Also those saying he will be making 17M a season, I'm sure it will be spread out for 5 seasons so more like 13.5M or something to that effect? If you don't like the guy I get it but the contract is not bad at all for a disrupting DT again imo.

I think that's the point tho isn't it

If you want to pay the Chris Joneses sometimes you have to not pay the Ed Olivers and Dawson Knoxes

30 minutes ago, BBFL said:

For drafted position and contract there absolutely should be an expectation for him to be changing game’s regularly. No one is asking for ludicrous stat lines just consistency. 6-8 sacks a year would be great. 

He isn't even paid in the top half of #1 DTs in the league but feel his contract means he should be "changing games regularly" ?? By next offseason his contract won't be in the top 20. Let Beane cook.

25 minutes ago, BuffaloBillsGospel2014 said:

I don't love or hate Ed Oliver, I think people want him to be Chris Jones but if that were the case we probably couldn't come close to affording him. He's signed right now as the 12th highest paid DT in the league and as many of these analysts are saying they think he took a home town discount because they're saying he could have had a big pay day had he waited it out but he loves it here. Also those saying he will be making 17M a season, I'm sure it will be spread out for 5 seasons so more like 13.5M or something to that effect? If you don't like the guy I get it but the contract is not bad at all for a disrupting DT again imo.

All your numbers are off

24 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

You've seen his Playoff stats that I've posted a couple of times now, I think a few posts above too.  They're far from impressive.  

But thanks, and yeah, we'll see.  Hopefully we're all talking about what a great deal we got come January.  

You stay whores are hilarious. It's more to his job that won't show up on a stat sheet.

Edited by StHustle
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

Then factor in what Coach Washington said about him this week.  

Some of the things that we do are mindboggling.  If we paid everyone at his level that money comparatively ... 

He also only plays 60% of the snaps on D, pretty regularly, and as a high this past season.  I expect more from someone getting $45M guaranteed.  That's gonna hamstring Beane or the new GM significantly if it doesn't work out.  His biggest knock is his lack of size.  Did this extension make him bigger or faster.   

Coach Washington didn't even say anything negative about him. He answered a question about what Oliver needs to do to take the next step. Everyone interpreted that to mean he dislikes him as a player. He never said anything of the sort.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Interesting. I predicted Gabe Davis. But I knew one of Oliver or Davis would be signed. I now wonder if they don’t do both.

My position on Oliver was trade him or sign him. I’m guessing they get some cap relief now.

Signing Davis early provides no cap relief… he is on chump change this year,,

May as well ride it out and see how he plays looking for a new deal..

4 hours ago, Motorin' said:

Yeah... But might it be 68 across 5 season, making it 13.5 per? 

How do you figure? 4 year extension at 17 per. He is already making 10 something for this year and if Bills were changing THIS season's salary I would expect them to try to lower it to help sign a free agent 

Just now, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

What a joke. Should’ve spent that money on Edmunds ! 😡

They had to sign him or trade him. I feel better about Oliver now than before. You can’t have a guy eating $10 million that you don’t want to sign. They did that with Edmunds last year. Big mistake.

• Disagree 1

2 hours ago, Virgil said:

I get that.  But if we are going to pay a guy 15 mil plus, then he should be the dominant force and make life easier for everyone else.  

I’m not coming at you, just the whole idea of paying him when he needs others to help him be great, but got that contract, bothers me a little. 

I get it. I'm surprised as well. I just trust Beane n Co and imo , it's clear McDermott feels he can get the best out of Ed based on the contract.  My only logical explanation is that McD feels Ed will excel with him as DC and command 20+ mil next year

1 minute ago, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

Agreed.  The dropoff in performance at LB this season will be far more damaging than risking $45M guaranteed that Oliver, who won't get bigger or faster, actually improves.  

• Vomit 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

Edmunds lack of instincts killed us. If he wasn't so physically gifted he'd be a JAG 

Just too many plays he was out of position,  especially on play action 

This kid Williams has a huge wing span and his instincts jump off the screen 

Edited by JerseyBills
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 5
  • Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.