Ed Oliver big extension

HappyDays

3 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

Yes not a fan of it at the moment… I think Ed would’ve had a big year playing for money… strikes me as that kindve personality/attitude. 

All that is off the table now…. At the very least it may prevent them from loading up on defensive line or defense next off-season and perhaps it freed up space and they are making a play for Hopkins now.

This is the part that somehow is even worse than the $17m aav

Thought hed have a monster year for sure.... i sincerely dont see that happening now

2 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

I wanted DaQuan extended. Not thrilled about this contract, but I suppose if he takes a step forward this season it’s fine. Though I see no reason to expect he should. Maybe the staff and front office do from OTA’s 

Ed is our #1 DT. Jones may be more consistent, but Oliver is more dominant when he's playing at his best and has a higher ceiling.

The plan was always to retain him first and foremost. I think when it comes to Jones, they'll wait to see if he or Ford performs better and bring one of them back after this season or maybe during.

• Like (+1) 2

I was surprised about this as well, but the Bills likely could not afford the franchise tag amount next season for Oliver because of their salary cap situation.  Given that, the choice was to sign him now or likely be faced with the reality of Oliver receiving offers in the open market for more than the Bills could pay and losing him.  There are other pieces that we have no insight into, including the Bills' thoughts on the quality/depth of DT prospects in next year's draft, potentially available DT free agents, and their assessment of the market for Oliver (both as a free agent and to trade him now).

• Like (+1) 4

2 hours ago, Simon said:

Fun fact:

Last year there were only 5 DTs in the NFL that had more Tackles for Loss per game than Ed Oliver.

But please keep telling us how awful he is and that you never see him make any plays.

It's funny because it just shows how little you actually see. :lol:

flashing big games and then disappearing is not the type i want to invest in. i cant stomach giving big $$ to overly inconsistent players

16 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

they had the chance to lock him up (as many teams do of their top 1 st round picks on the roster) last year, his 4th season—for less than that. They chose not to.  So there was no chance they were going pay even more this year. 

so nah

When was it reported that we didn't offer him anything and he was cool with signing here at whatever price we'd pay and didn't want to test FA?

Just because we didn't sign him to an extension the year before doesn't mean one was never offered and he was never in the plans.

Beane talked all offseason about how much he would have loved to have him back but just couldn't afford to compete with that offer.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, Kaenon said:

Just another good player this fanbase likes to hate on...

He’s now making 15M+ for the next 5 years. 

When you’re making money like that, the conversation needs to go beyond “is he a good player?”.  

I hope it works out.   So far, I haven’t seen anything making me think this extension was justified.  Big gamble on the potential ceiling with a floor of overpaying for a good/not great undersized DT. 

Edited by SCBills
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, BillsShredder83 said:

flashing big games and then disappearing is not the type i want to invest in. i cant stomach giving big $$ to overly inconsistent players

I would suggest that when you finish around the top 5 in tackles for loss at your position that you're not doing a whole lot of disappearing.

The only time he's invisible is when he's hurt, which is my only real concern about this  extension.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2

From everything I read it seems like he’d rather have someone he knows on the roster at that position come seasons end and not have to scramble to find a body that can produce. I like Ed, think he has flashes of a very decent player, but he’s inconsistent for that amount of money… Let’s hope this doesn’t come back to hurt us financially. 

• Agree 1

19 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

I may not know much about DT play but I've had plenty of opportunities to watch Ed play.  And he's not worth this big a contract. 

Dareus 2.0

Then factor in what Coach Washington said about him this week.  

Some of the things that we do are mindboggling.  If we paid everyone at his level that money comparatively ... 

He also only plays 60% of the snaps on D, pretty regularly, and as a high this past season.  I expect more from someone getting $45M guaranteed.  That's gonna hamstring Beane or the new GM significantly if it doesn't work out.  His biggest knock is his lack of size.  Did this extension make him bigger or faster.   

Edited by PBF81
  • Eyeroll 1

1 minute ago, Simon said:

I would suggest that when you finish around the top 5 in tackles for loss at your position that you're not doing a whole lot of disappearing.

The only time he's invisible is when he's hurt, which is my only real concern about this  extension.

I don’t know man. It just doesn’t seem like he shows up in the biggest moments needed. Especially from a pass rushing perspective. 

4 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Ed is our #1 DT. Jones may be more consistent, but Oliver is more dominant when he's playing at his best and has a higher ceiling.

The plan was always to retain him first and foremost. I think when it comes to Jones, they'll wait to see if he or Ford performs better and bring one of them back after this season or maybe during.

They are different type players and complimentary when used correctly.

Phillps is also a pass rusher as compared to Jones

1 minute ago, Simon said:

One of the things folks who just do stats is that they dont see who is dinged or playing injured

It really is a big deal if you want to evaluate a player during the season

Gabe Davis and his ankle come to mind as well, no push to separate or cut

1 minute ago, blacklabel said:

The comments, good lord lmao. 

If this guy doesn't rack up 60 sacks, 30 forced fumbles, 90 tackles for loss and generally becomes Aaron Donald and Reggie White morphed into one then this board gonna implode. 

For drafted position and contract there absolutely should be an expectation for him to be changing game’s regularly. No one is asking for ludicrous stat lines just consistency. 6-8 sacks a year would be great. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

Then factor in what Coach Washington said about him this week.  

Some of the things that we do are mindboggling.  If we paid everyone at his level that money comparatively ... 

He also only plays 60% of the snaps on D, pretty regularly, and as a high this past season.  I expect more from someone getting $45M guaranteed.  That's gonna hamstring Beane or the new GM significantly if it doesn't work out.  His biggest knock is his lack of size.  Did this extension make him bigger or faster.   

no chance Washington was in on driving the price down while being realistic ?

Edited by 3rdand12

18 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

Well, we all hope that Ed pops off.  LOL  We've all been hoping for that for four seasons now.  Odds that the fifth time's the charm?  

Here's the thing, if not, then there's one helluva huge cap hit down the road or we simply get average for that money.  

I'll send you the piece.  

You’ve made a sound argument, I’m going to hope Oliver plays a big part of a championship run and the front office can choose to part ways after year 3 of the contract if they’re so inclined.

Edited by julian
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, BBFL said:

I don’t know man. It just doesn’t seem like he shows up in the biggest moments needed. Especially from a pass rushing perspective. 

8 Playoff Games 

2 Sacks, 4 TFLs, 5 QB Hits 

Of those, 1 Sack, 1 TFL, and 3 QB Hits were against Skylar Thompson

In the other 7 playoff games he's given us 1 Sack, 3 TFLs, and 2 QB Hits.  Which is poor no matter how it's addressed.  

Our problem is the Playoffs, not the regular season.  

2 minutes ago, 3rdand12 said:

no chance Washington was in on driving the price down while being realistic ?

I'm pretty sure that they had most of this worked out prior to the end of the week.  Wouldn't you say?  

• Like (+1) 1

I don't love or hate Ed Oliver, I think people want him to be Chris Jones but if that were the case we probably couldn't come close to affording him. He's signed right now as the 12th highest paid DT in the league and as many of these analysts are saying they think he took a home town discount because they're saying he could have had a big pay day had he waited it out but he loves it here. Also those saying he will be making 17M a season, I'm sure it will be spread out for 5 seasons so more like 13.5M or something to that effect? If you don't like the guy I get it but the contract is not bad at all for a disrupting DT again imo.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.