Ed Oliver big extension

HappyDays

4 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

I just read that it's the 6th most guaranteed money for a DT.  

The opinions in that piece are primarily negative and mirror mine.  

Here's a quote from someone in another Bills forum:  

I generally agree with that.  I don't know what the cap implications are for this year, a lot of times when they make a signing like this it alleviates the cap for this particular season.  The tradeoff is often in guaranteed money.  Not sure how or whether it did that, but that's an awful lot of guaranteed money for Oliver.  If he doesn't improve then it will have proven to have been a bad signing.  

Here's the thing, his biggest knock is that he's undersized, unless this signing makes him get bigger it doesn't alter a glaring weakness.  

My first thought was that this was done for future cap reasons combined with a lack of DT talent in our pipeline, really none to speak of, nothing that warrants re-signing in the next couple of years.  

If that's the reason why it was done, while acquiescing to seemingly average play at the position, IMO it was a very unwise decision that merely kicks the can of future team-building issues down the road a season or two.  

We will see, time will tell.  Not a thing that anyone here says will change anything.  That much we know.  

I have no reason to doubt you and the 6th highest guaranteed money claim, that is too much guaranteed money for Oliver at this point imho.

Looks like it’s a decision they’ve made based on a multiple of factors, many of which fans are not privy. I’m also hoping making room for an acquisition was part of the decision and that Ed pops off and we feel much better about the contract in November than we do now.

• Like (+1) 2

38 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Yeah, I’m not talking about position for say, I’m talking about tying money into the defensive line

Since we give this massive contract to Oliver, what does that mean for DaQuan Jones and Poona Ford

Edmonds got straight paid way more than the bills wanted to pay. If Edmonds would’ve taken middle of the pack, middle linebacker money he might still be here.

I am glad he is gone for many reasons

But the first one is that Bills Coaching needed to change up what they were doing on the field.
Overdependent on Tremaine

Now we have no start LB beyond Milano

This season should be fun to see how they play Defense

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, julian said:

I have no reason to doubt you and the 6th highest guaranteed money claim, that is too much guaranteed money for Oliver at this point imho.

Looks like it’s a decision they’ve made based on a multiple of factors, many of which fans are not privy. I’m also hoping making room for an acquisition was part of the decision and that Ed pops off and we feel much better about the contract in November than we do now.

Iirc we said this verbatim last year re Knox

8 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

If you think they wouldn't have kept Edmunds had he not cost $72m, you're kidding yourself.

they had the chance to lock him up (as many teams do of their top 1 st round picks on the roster) last year, his 4th season—for less than that. They chose not to.  So there was no chance they were going pay even more this year. 

so nah

2 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

I wanted DaQuan extended. Not thrilled about this contract, but I suppose if he takes a step forward this season it’s fine. Though I see no reason to expect he should. Maybe the staff and front office do from OTA’s 

Jones is key to Olivers success

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Simon said:

Watching people that have absolutely zero clue about DT play freak out about this is hilarious. :lol: :lol: :lol:

I may not know much about DT play but I've had plenty of opportunities to watch Ed play.  And he's not worth this big a contract. 

Dareus 2.0

Edited by LABILLBACKER
  • Disagree 2
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, NC-billsfan! said:

You bring up excellent points. I hope you’re right. I’m a huge fan of big balls Beane. I just am in the camp, to get the most out ofOliver  I think a contract year would make him a very serious force. Possibily with a SB win. If he’s hyper motivated to get paid, maybe that’s the last piece. I’m still mulling this over, but I’m leaning meh.

1 minute ago, bearstobills said:

If Allen goes down for the season, we are indeed cooked.  But in a playoff game, for a couple of drives?  Pacheko ripped off a 40 yard run on their penultimate drive.  Is Cook or Harris not capable of that?  Aren't Diggs and gang better than Kadarius Toney and gang.  Henne completed a 4 yard pass to seal the game, and everyone went nuts.  Good for him....seriously.  But is Kyle Allen that bad that he can't put together a good drive and a game sealing 4 yard completion when called upon?

1 minute ago, NC-billsfan! said:

You bring up excellent points. I hope you’re right. I’m a huge fan of big balls Beane. I just am in the camp, to get the most out ofOliver  I think a contract year would make him a very serious force. Possibily with a SB win. If he’s hyper motivated to get paid, maybe that’s the last piece. I’m still mulling this over, but I’m leaning meh.

Let’s face it, they are looking at a big hole at D-tackle next season if Oliver would have left via FA. Edmunds left one at MLB this year. A FA tackle and a quality MLB will eat up plenty of cap space if we don’t want to take a real step backward in a very high powered offensive minded division and AFC. With a contract in hand where Beane can create flexibility, it benefits us in my opinion.

11 minutes ago, julian said:

Well, we all hope that Ed pops off.  LOL  We've all been hoping for that for four seasons now.  Odds that the fifth time's the charm?  

Here's the thing, if not, then there's one helluva huge cap hit down the road or we simply get average for that money.  

I'll send you the piece.  

2 hours ago, Success said:

It's important to note that if anyone who posts on this board was GM, we'd still be deep into the drought.

No offense to anyone, of course.

too late. I'm offended! I'd rather be gm for drought bills than see Ed Oliver get paid like the 16th best dt he is. It just makes sense people 🙃

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.