Ed Oliver big extension

HappyDays

1 minute ago, bearstobills said:

I appreciate this take, but you conveniently left off the disparity in their total tackles.  It's massive.  I wish Ed was Kyle.  Kyle was special.  I have been defending the Ed signing, but if there is a Kylesque player in the draft next year...please jump on him!!

Great point.

At 25 years old, he’s shown management enough to warrant the extension. I would have preferred letting him play for his next contract, but if he had his best season like Edmunds, you’re in a bidding war. Face it, 68 for  4 is the going rate for an impactful d-tackle, with 45 guaranteed. They’re betting he anchors their d-line for the next several years. If you trust Beane and Sean’s instincts for young talent, just accept this extension. The fans that think this move precluded the Hopkins signing, it doesn’t.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, bearstobills said:

My contention is that they are both going nowhere.  

That's fine and I agree, just saying Henne came in and led that offense on a 98yard TD drive in the playoffs and I do not see the Bills doing that if Allen goes down 

13 minutes ago, julian said:

Fair

I just read that it's the 6th most guaranteed money for a DT.  

The opinions in that piece are primarily negative and mirror mine.  

Here's a quote from someone in another Bills forum:  

I'm on the fence with this one. Not sure I would have invested in him at this point. Maybe they are encouraged and want to get ahead of the salary should he have a great year. I don't think if I'm building a team I invest in an undersized dt with his current track record.  

I generally agree with that.  I don't know what the cap implications are for this year, a lot of times when they make a signing like this it alleviates the cap for this particular season.  The tradeoff is often in guaranteed money.  Not sure how or whether it did that, but that's an awful lot of guaranteed money for Oliver.  If he doesn't improve then it will have proven to have been a bad signing.  

Here's the thing, his biggest knock is that he's undersized, unless this signing makes him get bigger it doesn't alter a glaring weakness.  

My first thought was that this was done for future cap reasons combined with a lack of DT talent in our pipeline, really none to speak of, nothing that warrants re-signing in the next couple of years.  

If that's the reason why it was done, while acquiescing to seemingly average play at the position, IMO it was a very unwise decision that merely kicks the can of future team-building issues down the road a season or two.   If that's the way it plays out we really don't need that and it creates issues for whomever the next GM would be.  

We will see, time will tell.  Not a thing that anyone here says will change anything.  That much we know.  

Edited by PBF81
  • Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

So that means for 11 games of his career, he's been dominant.

Metaphorically dominant, I assume you meant....

As for the last guy TBD posters "ran out of town", the Bills entire organization agreed.   Good, not as bad as we said, whatever...they concluded he wasn't worth keeping----without our help.

If you think they wouldn't have kept Edmunds had he not cost $72m, you're kidding yourself.

13 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

Presumably you saw my subsequent post.  I misspoke, again, sorry about that and the confusion it caused.  

As to the national media, I'm sure that the articles will be out tomorrow, we'll see.  I'll be reading most of them as no doubt you will be too.  We can reconvene after that.  

In the varying forums however, this move is taking more of a beating than getting support.  

I did see your subsequent post, thanks.

TBH, I'll be surprised if this signing gets much play at all in the national media tomorrow- positive or negative. 

3 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

That's fine and I agree, just saying Henne came in and led that offense on a 98yard TD drive in the playoffs and I do not see the Bills doing that if Allen goes down 

Do you realize how different it would be if the opposing team had a week to prepare for chad henne playing qb....

not my argument to butt in on but still......Reid has a history of bad quarterbacks stepping in for his teams and winning.  In philly he always had a good defense and a good offensive line.   The years he did not they were not good.  

anyway, the backup coming in during a game can cause problems for a defense if they are an experienced veteran, if they had prepared for him it would be totally different.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Eastport bills said:

At 25 years old, he’s shown management enough to warrant the extension. I would have preferred letting him play for his next contract, but if he had his best season like Edmunds, you’re in a bidding war. Face it, 68 for  4 is the going rate for an impactful d-tackle, with 45 guaranteed. They’re betting he anchors their d-line for the next several years. If you trust Beane and Sean’s instincts for young talent, just accept this extension. The fans that think this move precluded the Hopkins signing, it doesn’t.

You bring up excellent points. I hope you’re right. I’m a huge fan of big balls Beane. I just am in the camp, to get the most out ofOliver  I think a contract year would make him a very serious force. Possibily with a SB win. If he’s hyper motivated to get paid, maybe that’s the last piece. I’m still mulling this over, but I’m leaning meh.

3 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

If Allen goes down for the season, we are indeed cooked.  But in a playoff game, for a couple of drives?  Pacheko ripped off a 40 yard run on their penultimate drive.  Is Cook or Harris not capable of that?  Aren't Diggs and gang better than Kadarius Toney and gang.  Henne completed a 4 yard pass to seal the game, and everyone went nuts.  Good for him....seriously.  But is Kyle Allen that bad that he can't put together a good drive and a game sealing 4 yard completion when called upon?

• Like (+1) 1

Nice job by Beane and team.  Re-watch the games from LY, and Ed disrupted alot of games in the 2nd half of season (when his ankle healed).

Beane mentioned a few times, unprovoked, that they'd like to extend Gabe and Ed this offseason.

The $$$ might seem high to some, but it's not a top 10 deal and Ed is a young/core player in our defense.

• Like (+1) 3

3 hours ago, Mikie2times said:

That was one of my first thoughts. Maybe freeing up space for Hopkins?

Maybe he's a piece in some trade but the other team wanted him under more contract years and they could have gave Beane a number they'd be willing to pay Oliver.   Can't say that I th ink he earned that money, hoping they know something we don't. 

3 hours ago, PrimeTime101 said:

A month ago I said we should extend him, because if he balls out like an Edmunds year last year.. we would not afford him... I GOT SLAMMED for it. 

You get rightfully slammed for all your takes. Every once in a while, one sticks to the wall..

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.