Ed Oliver big extension

HappyDays

Just now, julian said:

It’s perfectly reasonable to disagree with the signing, I personally would have let him play out the option like Edmunds but the overreaction by some portraying this move as the new Albert Haynesworth debacle isn’t necessary to make their point.

Middle of the road money for a good young DT with hopes of upside.

I'd say a little bit more than middle of the road money.  I'm hardly in the camp thinking that Oliver sucks, but he's not better than average or so, maybe slightly better.  I simply think that there were better ways to spend that money.  Edmunds got about the same, we no doubt could have had him for the same as Oliver or even less, and right now we have a huge void at LB that IMO is going to cost us something fierce this season.  

42 minutes ago, PrimeTime101 said:

That is why we SHOULD be playing that big one tech DT next to him all the time. 

This was seemingly obvious to me.
Did McBeane solve this though ?
the reason I wanted to draft one is to compliment or contrast Oliver

He would tear it up with serious heavy two O linemen player space eating leaning forward always one tech !
I do expect he will get the chance to eat this year via coaching and aggressive QB pressures

2 hours ago, LEBills said:

I’m certainly not against signing Ed long term like this, but I think letting him play out his contract year and then having the franchise tag in your pocket if he popped was the best move. The justification for doing this now would be if we were making more cap room to add a DHop or other piece whatever that may be. But I think they just value him more than most on the board do.

Over The Cap has the projected 2024 franchise tag for DT's set just shy of $20.9 million... This is under that.

And by "this", we're talking about the agent-friendly numbers.

I would take an agent-friendly $17 mil over an actual $20.9 mil, any day.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 2

5 minutes ago, SinceThe70s said:

I'm always one for looking at any perspective - whether it's in agreement with my current line of thinking or not.

And for sure the national media is 'relatively high-profile' - if they're bashing the Bills I haven't seen it. So thanks for not backing up your assertion. Makes me think it was baseless.

Presumably you saw my subsequent post.  I misspoke, again, sorry about that and the confusion it caused.  

As to the national media, I'm sure that the articles will be out tomorrow, we'll see.  I'll be reading most of them as no doubt you will be too.  We can reconvene after that.  

In the varying forums however, this move is taking more of a beating than getting support.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Mat68 said:

Then he plays too well and they cant pay him.  Like Edmunds.  

Oh I completely agree, and I’d let him walk. He will command huge money. Im glad Edmunds got his. But I don’t think he’s worth the big pay check. Lots of guys gotta get paid. Tauron Johnson should have an extra zero in his paycheck in my mind before Oliver. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Simon said:

Interesting, I would not have guessed that.

When also you factor in that Oliver is waaaaaay better than Meatball at holding the POA, that paints him in a pretty good light.

I went down that rabbit hole because they are similar built and obviously Williams is beloved.  Oliver was compared to Donald.  He is not Donald.  But being a starting caliber NFL player isnt a bust either.  The amount of money is alot but DT is the 3rd most valuable position on defense behind Edge and Db.  I think Buffalo is wise to pay Oliver instead of Edmunds in a roster construction mindset.  

• Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

I'd say a little bit more than middle of the road money.  I'm hardly in the camp thinking that Oliver sucks, but he's not better than average or so, maybe slightly better.  I simply think that there were better ways to spend that money.  Edmunds got about the same, we no doubt could have had him for the same as Oliver or even less, and right now we have a huge void at LB that IMO is going to cost us something fierce this season.  

Fair

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, NC-billsfan! said:

Oh I completely agree, and I’d let him walk. He will command huge money. Im glad Edmunds got his. But I don’t think he’s worth the big pay check. Lots of guys gotta get paid. Tauron Johnson should have an extra zero in his paycheck in my mind before Oliver. 

Maybe but the NFL disagrees.  

17 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

I could.  Not going to.  There are several other forums where the move, more than not, is being made fun of.  

You should. you made the claim that "We're taking a beating in the national media."

I went and searched and have no evidence or written word about said beating. If you are pointing to "forums" or conflating them with "national media" , its totally your fault. 

If you have been called out on your statement, the onus is on you to prove your statement. Else the statement has zero meaning. 

4 minutes ago, bearstobills said:

So you won't budge.....and you're going with the Chad Henne would lead this fantastic Chiefs roster to a Super Bowl take??

No I'm saying your contention that the Bills roster without Allen performs like the Chiefs without Mahomes is wrong

4 minutes ago, Mat68 said:

I went down that rabbit hole because they are similar built and obviously Williams is beloved.  Oliver was compared to Donald.  He is not Donald.  But being a starting caliber NFL player isnt a bust either.  The amount of money is alot but DT is the 3rd most valuable position on defense behind Edge and Db.  I think Buffalo is wise to pay Oliver instead of Edmunds in a roster construction mindset.  

The only bit of that I'd disagree with is that I'd suggest DT is is even more important than any DB on the field because I think good Defense starts in the middle. 

25 minutes ago, Mat68 said:

For those curious Kyle Williams didnt make a pro bowl until year 5.  Oliver in his his first 4 years has 6 more sacks twice as many forced fumbles and only 2 less tackles for loss.  Salaries have ballooned Oliver has been solid not elite.  The contract matches and provides Buffalo flexibility.  Buffalo could restructure both Dawkins and White and pay Hopkins 15 mil without using void years.

I appreciate this take, but you conveniently left off the disparity in their total tackles.  It's massive.  I wish Ed was Kyle.  Kyle was special.  I have been defending the Ed signing, but if there is a Kylesque player in the draft next year...please jump on him!!

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

I have to apologize, I mispoke, I meant in the national forums and the like.  Even on other Bills' forums the move isn't exactly being viewed optimistically.  Even here from what I've read only a minority seem to think the signing was a great one.  Seems like the majority opinion here is of the "meh" variety, "wait and see."  

Got it. Again, forums and opinions of fans who dont know how to judge DL performance means squat. I am one of the latter but am glad that we locked up a key position for the long term and removes a "must draft" for next year. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.