Ed Oliver big extension

HappyDays

3 minutes ago, bearstobills said:

With Mahomes....they won the Super Bowl.  But that's not your point.  Your point is who are the Bills without their best player.  And I ask you, who are the Chiefs without Mahomes?

The team around Maholmes is superior to the one around Allen and Maholmes is Winning SBs, the Bills aren’t getting to them.. what’s that say?

3 minutes ago, bearstobills said:

We have unfortunately lost the power rankings going on within your head while accidently stumbling to a 13-3 record on the field.

Well, now that we don't have a cakewalk season and not one of the easiest schedules in the league for the first time under McD, this season will certainly be a great case study for evaluating where we actually stand.  

If we're 13-3 again, then we can talk more.  

Otherwise, convenient that you failed to point out our troubles in getting past the Divisisonal round of the playoffs.  

I realize that's of lesser concern than the regular season record, just sayin'.  

;) 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Vomit 1
  • Disagree 1

Its 2023 we all realize the Guaranteed money is the real deal.  By resigning him now Buffalo will lower his cap number this year.  Paying a starting level player who is 25 less than top 10 money is a win.  Its as team friendly as it gets.  The cap has increased so these numbers hurt peoples brains but by the time his draft class signs his number will be 15th to 20th in annual rank.  

• Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, Herc11 said:

Right, cause the 15+ yrs before them, we were so successful!

There’s a legit QB here now, I’d like to see a better team and coach around him so we can actually win a game that matters.

2 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

He wasn’t our best defensive tackle last year. What are we going to do now with Poona Ford and DaQuan Jones

DaQuan really was great last year. That was a fantastic signing by Beane last offseason.

Just now, PBF81 said:

I hear ya, but at some point it's settling.  

As I've said, everyone here supporting the move complains about every other aspect of our team, that those units fall short, but for some reason Beane's doing a great job.  It makes zero sense and does not logically align, thinking like that.  

I don't support the move. I just don't think most people are qualified to not support it if we want to be rational. It's a fan board, obviously people will have a lot of takes on this. I didn't think Edmunds or Oliver were all that great, but I do feel limited when bringing in the context of a role in this system that I don't fully understand. Then moving parts that I don't fully understand. As much as I understand, Oliver and Edmunds had very little help making them look good. Oliver is going to get doubled with our DE's and our 1 tech DT and offensive lineman are going to erase our MLB for the same reasons. That much seems logical but I can't really draw much more past that. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

Well, now that we don't have a cakewalk season and not one of the easiest schedules in the league for the first time under McD, this season will certainly be a great case study for evaluating where we actually stand.  

If we're 13-3 again, then we can talk more.  

Otherwise, convenient that you failed to point out our troubles in getting past the Divisisonal round of the playoffs.  

I realize that's of lesser concern than the regular season record, just sayin'.  

;) 

I'm a Chicago guy.  I grew up with Michael Jordan leading the Bulls.  It took him 7 years to win a title.  What you see as failure, I see as process (and not In McD speech).  The Bills are 4-3 in the playoffs over the past 3 years, and got past the divisional round in 1 of those years.  It sounds like you are planning to lose because it fits your narrative that we will ultimately fail.  My narrative is a championship is on the way.  I bet I'm right.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

56 minutes ago, Augie said:

You realize that being “the most recent” is very important factor in judging a players ranking in terms of value, right? The most recent QB to sign a huge deal does not make him the best QB. It just means he got next man up money while the cap keeps rising. I have no problems with the $$$ for Ed  as long as he stays healthy and plays to his ability. 

Well, I can only quote the most recent AAV rankings.  He's now moved up to 11.  

2 minutes ago, Mikie2times said:

I don't support the move. I just don't think most people are qualified to not support it if we want to be rational. It's a fan board, obviously people will have a lot of takes on this. I didn't think Edmunds or Oliver were all that great, but I do feel limited when bringing in the context of a role in this system that I don't fully understand. Then moving parts that I don't fully understand. As much as I understand, Oliver and Edmunds had very little help making them look good. Oliver is going to get doubled with our DE's and our 1 tech DT and offensive lineman are going to erase our MLB for the same reasons. That much seems logical but I can't really draw much more past that. 

Well, OK, tough to argue with any of that, but in the grand scheme, for $68M, $45M of which is guaranteed, there's a minimal level of performance that's expected.  

We, anyone, can argue whether he'll achieve that, but IMO we haven't seen it yet.  

IMO the money could have been used much better elsewhere.  But again, at the end of the day, and given the speculation that we don't have any DTs signed for next season, or so it's been said here although that's news to me, I would chalk it all up to poor planning no matter how it's sliced.  If some of Beane's other DL from the drafts had worked out, or even FAs, then perhaps he wouldn't have been what I consider to have been desperate to make this signing.  

Good GMs simply dont' put themselves in situations where they're forced to do things that aren't optimal.  Beane seems to do it on a semi-regular basis.  Why?  Again, look at his drafts.  

Never sign a questionable player on their last year. Like Shaq and endless other examples, guys in the last year of their contract are motivated. If he plays to get paid, probably gonna be awesome. Got paid, time for cruise control. I hate it, but that’s what I think.  

1 minute ago, NC-billsfan! said:

Never sign a questionable player on their last year. Like Shaq and endless other examples, guys in the last year of their contract are motivated. If he plays to get paid, probably gonna be awesome. Got paid, time for cruise control. I hate it, but that’s what I think.  

To be clear I don’t think that at all of her is going to go on cruise control from this contract

I am more concerned on the trickle down effects of guys like DaQuan Jones, and poona Ford however

For those curious Kyle Williams didnt make a pro bowl until year 5.  Oliver in his his first 4 years has 6 more sacks twice as many forced fumbles and only 2 less tackles for loss.  Salaries have ballooned Oliver has been solid not elite.  The contract matches and provides Buffalo flexibility.  Buffalo could restructure both Dawkins and White and pay Hopkins 15 mil without using void years.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 3

10 minutes ago, DCofNC said:

The team around Maholmes is superior to the one around Allen and Maholmes is Winning SBs, the Bills aren’t getting to them.. what’s that say?

Are you sure about superior?  Have you seen their WR room?  No Mahomes No Superbowl.  It's that simple.  

9 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

We're taking a beating in the national media.  

Doesn't seem as if a majority here support that amount for Oliver either.  

In either case, nothing I can do about it, he's signed, so everyone thinking it's great should be partying.  

Can you elaborate on the bolded? 

3 hours ago, mushypeaches said:

I legitimately did not see this coming.  It feels like Beane blinked first knowing that he didn't have any DT's under contract for next year.  

Seems out of character

I dont think Anyone did.

Saw a bit on PFF with D line Coach saying he needs to be more cerebral. Thinking before the paly instead of flowing with the play. Which i found very interesting and a coaches black smudge on him

so,  super surprised. and that money

Hoping Coaches know more than dumb ole me

Go Bills

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.