Ed Oliver big extension

HappyDays

4 minutes ago, Mikie2times said:

DT's and the names you read aren't just interchangeable in our system. Perhaps the Bills don't like what they see in the pipeline as far as 3 tech DT's.  I will bet a shiny object either way that as a whole, this board and the common Bills fan has very little ability in determining what Ed Olivers impact is for this system and his league value. Not to say we can't make normal observations, but as was the case with Edmunds, it is very hard to leverage those observations against a system that we don't fully understand. I think we have to at least entertain the possibility we could be wrong in our evaluation, given what teams were willing to pay for Edmunds and in this instance, what I assume they would be willing to pay for Oliver. If I recall, we also hated Daboll which surely didn't age well. Let's see how it plays out. I will throw the pitch fork to the side for now.   

Good Take!! In Beane I Trust.  How many games did we lose last year?  Oh yea.....Three (and 2 were flukes).  We ran out of gas in the playoffs after a perfect storm of disasters.  When we are no longer a sure fire top 5 roster going into a season, then I'll listen to the backseat gm's here.  But how on Earth can someone at this point believe they see or know something that this current regime just doesn't get?

p.s. At first glance I didn't like the signing either.  But again, I. Trust. Beane.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 minute ago, bearstobills said:

Clueless take.  It really is.  Who has he overrated and signed?  I'll wait. 

2017 He signed Milano, Tredavious, and Dawkins to extensions (and those were guys he did not draft)

2018 He signed Josh Allen, Taron Johnson, and Siran Neal to extensions

2019 Ed Oliver signed

So who has he overrated and paid??  Ed doesn't count because you're suggesting a pattern. I'm still waiting. 

there are 2 horrible narratives rolling around Bills Nation.  1. Is that he is being over paid. 2, complaining about a guy that does not produce. I recently looked at pff at the games he has played? His based numbers are low and if you want to talk about the injuries issues @Simon brought up then that is understandable. But.. his pff scores when he does play? does have him lower not higher then a top 15 paid DI The question still stands... how many of those games was he injured and how much his injuries affected his game play over the last 4 years. Time will tell. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Lost said:

Beefing up his contract to make him more trade worthy?

I honestly woulda rather extended Edmunds.

Especially given the hole at LB now.  The difference in the LB unit w/o Edmunds is a bigger drop than the DL would have been without Oliver.  

Some comments talking about how Oliver's only 25, Edmunds is only 24.  

This makes no sense.  I'll get laughed at on this comment, but if Oliver doesn't work out and we finish 10-7 and lose the division to say the Jets, and barring Kincaid really making a difference, I don't see how Beane doesn't take a mountain of criticism following this season.  

We'll see, perhaps Oliver's going to play lights out ball and become that "next Aaron Donald" that all of the experts here supporting this decision said he'd be when they drafted him, I don't see why that would happen however.  

• Haha (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

Then perhaps Beane should have planned a little bit better over the six years that he's been GM, that's a logical way of looking at it as well.  

It's not like Oliver has been bad. He was drafted high. People expected him to be John Randle. At the end of the day you don't know his true value and I don't really expect Beane to know that a year or two after you draft a guy. Apparently he liked him. At the least, liked him enough to get further into the contract and evaluate how he might compare to other replacements. it doesn't appear from his point of view that replacements compare all that favorably.  

Edited by Mikie2times

17 minutes ago, JerseyBills said:

Well Von gets double teamed instead of Ed. If I remember correctly,  Ed was elite in 1 on 1 win ratios for dts

Oliver has drawn a ton of doubles over the last couple years; when Von went out, that number probably went through the roof.

If you go back and watch the last Cincy game, the level of fear and respect he drew from the Bengals Offensive coaching staff might make your head explode. 🤯

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

Just now, PBF81 said:

Especially given the hole at LB now.  The difference in the LB unit w/o Edmunds is a bigger drop than the DL would have been without Oliver.  

Some comments talking about how Oliver's only 25, Edmunds is only 24.  

This makes no sense.  I'll get laughed at on this comment, but if Oliver doesn't work out and we finish 10-7 and lose the division to say the Jets, and barring Kincaid really making a difference, I don't see how Beane doesn't take a mountain of criticism following this season.  

We'll see, perhaps Oliver's going to play lights out ball and become that "next Aaron Donald" that all of the experts here supporting this decision said he'd be when they drafted him, I don't see why that would happen however.  

Im not a big Oliver fan but…

DT >>> LB

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, BarleyNY said:

Bad teams pay players like that. Oliver has not nearly played to the level of this contract extension. Paying him with the hopes that he takes a big enough step forward to be worth makes me SMH. 

I get what you’re saying, but I don’t fully agree. I believe that Beane trusts McDermott, and McDermott believes in Oliver. You could classify that as “desperation” but sometimes, good teams are built by putting faith in what they see on the field, not what amateur evaluators believe.

I have faith in this organization, and time will tell if it was merited. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Eyeroll 1

3 minutes ago, Simon said:

The fact that you rely on statistics and popular opinion to judge the effectiveness of DT's tells us all we need to know.

Thank you. 👍

LOL 

Says the one that relies exclusively on ad hominem.  

I don't mind having an intelligent discussion, but then have at it, you've not said one intelligent thing to me thus far, purely ad hominem.  Nothin' better to do on a Saturday evening?  

LOL 

Otherwise, we'll see how this plays out.  I seem to recall the entire forum talking about how he'd be the next Aaron Donald when we drafted him.  If your hopes are like that then I won't have to say a word and will have been validated.  

Just now, Simon said:

Oliver has drawn a ton of doubles over the last couple years; when Von went out, that number probably went through the roof.

If you go back and watch the last Cincy game, the level of fear and respect he drew from the Bengals Offensive coaching staff might make your head explode. 🤯

That is why we SHOULD be playing that big one tech DT next to him all the time. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, PBF81 said:

LOL 

I don't mind having an intelligent discussion, but then have at it, you've not said one intelligent thing to me thus far, purely ad hominem.  Nothin' better to do on a Saturday evening?  

LOL 

Otherwise, we'll see how this plays out.  I seem to recall the entire forum talking about how he'd be the next Aaron Donald when we drafted him.  If your hopes are like that then I won't have to say a word and will have been validated.  

The second a person has to lead to personal insulting to prove a point is the second their point is lost.  This type of posting is what I hope to see less of on these boards. 

• Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, Billzgobowlin said:

This is a very good move.  He was stellar when he had Von there.  The problem has been there has not been much help on the line.

Fair point. But that doesn’t justify this contract. This is difference-maker money. Oliver is just a cog.

1 minute ago, Mikie2times said:

It's not like Oliver has been bad. He was drafted high. People expected him to be John Randle. At the end of the day you don't know his true value and I don't really expect Beane to know that a year or two after you draft a guy. Apparently he liked him. At the least, liked him enough to get further into the contract and evaluate how he might compare to other replacements. it doesn't appear from his point of view that replacements compare all that favorably.  I'm far from a Beane apologist. At the end of the day, the Bills aren't going to fail to reach the Super Bowl because they locked up Ed Oliver to an extension. Sorry if that's not dramatic enough for some.  

It's also not like he's been good.  He's been pretty average, it seems to me that we could easily have drafted his equal in round 1 next season if we wanted to. 

As well, it's also not like the Bills are going to reach the Super Bowl because of this signing.  

Have you taken a peek at Oliver's playoff performances?  

In 8 playoff games, he's got 2 sacks, 4 TFL, and 5 QB Hits.  1 of the sacks, 1 of the TFL, and 3 of the QB Hits were on Skylar Thompson and the Fins.  

In 7 other playoff games he's got 1 sack, 3 TFL, and 2 QB Hits.  That's hardly the mark of a 4-year $68M contract.  

6 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

If your hopes are like that then I won't have to say a word and will have been validated. 

8 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

We'll see, perhaps Oliver's going to play lights out ball and become that "next Aaron Donald" that all of the experts here supporting this decision said he'd be when they drafted him

You are the only that keeps saying that, which explains quite a bit

6 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

Keep trolling this thread repeatedly with stupid shlt and you get what you deserve 🤷‍♂️

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, bearstobills said:

Clueless take.  It really is.  Who has he overrated and signed?  I'll wait. 

2017 He signed Milano, Tredavious, and Dawkins to extensions (and those were guys he did not draft)

2018 He signed Josh Allen, Taron Johnson, and Siran Neal to extensions

2019 Ed Oliver signed

So who has he overrated and paid??  Ed doesn't count because you're suggesting a pattern. I'm still waiting. 

Oops!! I forgot Knox.  And I'll stand by his contract until the end.  I love that kid.  Whenever there was an injury on offense, I'd think....please not Knox.  Drafting Kincaid changes nothing about that contract.  It just makes us better.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, DCofNC said:

I honestly can’t wait for the end of the McBean era.

We're wasting Allen and while many can't see it for having blinders on, this team is patently mediocre w/o Allen.  

It's funny, our RBs are mediocre they say.  Our WRs aren't good besides Diggs.  Knox is overrated.  Our OL isn't good they say.  Same for our DL.  LBs, .... LMAO, what to say there.  And last year we didn't have an average CB on the field.  

BUT, Beane's done a fantastic job.  LOL  Honestly ... 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

45 over 5 years.  If he plays like a monster its 68.  For a starting DT thats the rate.  The top guys are over 20 per year.  The FA market at DT is poor.  Your not finding an upgrade over Oliver in the end of the first rd either. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Virgil said:

Knox seemed like an overpay at the time, and the Kincaid drafting doesn’t help.  

Now, if we commit to a two tight end set and both these guys eat, then great job Beane.  But I somehow think we are still going to see a lot of FB and 3 Wr sets 

I totally see where you are coming from from here. I really do, and I can give you no great reason why I think they will find a way to make both TE investments pay off.

But, as it so often does, it will come down to the LOS. Nothing works if you are losing the LOS regularly. And THAT is why I’m good keeping Ed over an OK LB. Win on the line. 

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.