Ed Oliver big extension

HappyDays

2 hours ago, Motorin' said:

Yeah... But might it be 68 across 5 season, making it 13.5 per? 

4 Years, $45M guaranteed, about $11M this season.  

Beane's nuts.  It's the sign of a desperate GM if we're going to be honest.  

Edited by PBF81
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Vomit 1
  • Eyeroll 2
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

2 hours ago, MWK said:

Laughable. Can’t wait to hear the justification for this from the fanboys. 17 million a year for a guy who doesn’t produce? That is a contract for a great DT, not Ed Oliver. Brandon Beane continues to pay and overrate players he drafted.

Clueless take.  It really is.  Who has he overrated and signed?  I'll wait. 

2017 He signed Milano, Tredavious, and Dawkins to extensions (and those were guys he did not draft)

2018 He signed Josh Allen, Taron Johnson, and Siran Neal to extensions

2019 Ed Oliver signed

So who has he overrated and paid??  Ed doesn't count because you're suggesting a pattern. I'm still waiting. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Big Turk said:

Must not have watched the Thanksgiving game this year. He literally won that game for us 

Detroit, yeah, LOL.  

And in just about every other game you couldn't tell the difference between him and any mediocre DT in the league.  

• Eyeroll 1

3 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

Detroit, yeah, LOL.  

And in just about every other game you couldn't tell the difference between him and any mediocre DT in the league.  

Agreed that "YOU" couldn't.

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 4

DT's and the names you read aren't just interchangeable in our system. Perhaps the Bills don't like what they see in the pipeline as far as 3 tech DT's.  I will bet a shiny object either way that as a whole, this board and the common Bills fan has very little ability in determining what Ed Olivers impact is for this system and his league value. Not to say we can't make normal observations, but as was the case with Edmunds, it is very hard to leverage those observations against a system that we don't fully understand. I think we have to at least entertain the possibility we could be wrong in our evaluation, given what teams were willing to pay for Edmunds and in this instance, what I assume they would be willing to pay for Oliver. If I recall, we also hated Daboll which surely didn't age well. Let's see how it plays out. I will throw the pitch fork to the side for now.   

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Simon said:

Yes, YOU couldn't.  

I'm all eyes if you want to demonstrate his impact in most other games last season.  

I'm sure it's all in the ever important "eye test," because statistically he doesn't rank very well.  

Otherwise, you appear to be in the minority, which is saying something on this topic here.  

Edited by PBF81

Pressure is on Ed Oliver, because he'll be the whipping boy if we don't see results... 

It's also adds pressure to McD and Beane because they're the one's who believe he is doing something valuable enough to justify the extension. The fans do not share this sentiment.

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

I believe that Oliver has not reached his ceiling yet, and McDermott told Beane that he believes he can get him there. I personally believe that ceiling will be worth this price tag, so I am excited to watch him play this year.  

Bad teams pay players like that. Oliver has not nearly played to the level of this contract extension. Paying him with the hopes that he takes a big enough step forward to be worth makes me SMH. 

• Eyeroll 2

5 minutes ago, Mikie2times said:

DT's and the names you read aren't just interchangeable in our system. Perhaps the Bills don't like what they see in the pipeline as far as 3 tech DT's.  I will bet a shiny object either way that as a whole, this board and the common Bills fan has very little ability in determining what Ed Olivers impact is for this system and his league value. Not to say we can't make normal observations, but as was the case with Edmunds, it is very hard to leverage those observations against a system that we don't fully understand. I think we have to at least entertain the possibility we could be wrong in our evaluation, given what teams were willing to pay for Edmunds and in this instance, what I assume they would be willing to pay for Oliver. If I recall, we also hated Daboll which surely didn't age well. Let's see how it plays out. I will throw the pitch fork to the side for now.   

Then perhaps Beane should have planned a little bit better over the six years that he's been GM, that's a logical way of looking at it as well.  

12 minutes ago, JerseyBills said:

Well Von gets double teamed instead of Ed. If I remember correctly,  Ed was elite in 1 on 1 win ratios for dts

I get that.  But if we are going to pay a guy 15 mil plus, then he should be the dominant force and make life easier for everyone else.  

I’m not coming at you, just the whole idea of paying him when he needs others to help him be great, but got that contract, bothers me a little. 

• Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

I'm all eyes if you want to demonstrate his impact in most other games last season.  

I'm sure it's all in the ever important "eye test," because statistically he doesn't rank very well.  

Otherwise, you appear to be in the minority, which is saying something on this topic here.  

The fact that you rely on statistics and popular opinion to judge the effectiveness of DT's tells us all we need to know.

Thank you. 👍

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

1 minute ago, JaCrispy said:

Booooo…

Now, 2 bad contracts in a row with Dawson Knox and Oliver…👎

Knox seemed like an overpay at the time, and the Kincaid drafting doesn’t help.  

Now, if we commit to a two tight end set and both these guys eat, then great job Beane.  But I somehow think we are still going to see a lot of FB and 3 Wr sets 

• Agree 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.