Ed Oliver big extension

HappyDays

2 hours ago, Billsfan4588 said:

Color me confused. I'd understand if it was a discount, but that's top dollar. 

No it’s not.  Like 4 DT’s just signed extensions this off-season at 21+ million per year.  That’s top dollar.  Oliver is getting middling money.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, BullBuchanan said:

blowing 7.5% of your cap on a chronic under-achiever just so you don't have to replace him is a complete loser mentality.

It's not.  Not by an stretch.  

Go out on the open market and sign another 3T and see what that costs.   The top guys don't get out of their organizations.  You have to draft them so keeping your own is usually the best way to go.  With the salary cap increase in the next few years and probably an out on this contract in 3 years its not the big deal everyone is freaking out about.  

• Thank you (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, Success said:

It's important to note that if anyone who posts on this board was GM, we'd still be deep into the drought.

No offense to anyone, of course.

Well, if I were the GM we probably would have been disbanded by the rest of the owners due to complete incompetence. 

So you're welcome everybody!

I like Ed. I think he is disruptive while playing within the defense. He has the ability and quickness to make splash plays like a Dareus or JJ Watt, but Oliver does his job and helps his team win. He has some flaws in his game at the point of attack and frankly there are times when he is asked to so to much. This is a small risk, but I for one am glad they are bringing him back. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

11th highest annual among DT.

lol

You realize that being “the most recent” is very important factor in judging a players ranking in terms of value, right? The most recent QB to sign a huge deal does not make him the best QB. It just means he got next man up money while the cap keeps rising. I have no problems with the $$$ for Ed  as long as he stays healthy and plays to his ability. 

22 minutes ago, Augie said:

Like the QB market, he is also “the most recent”. That matters. In that regard I think it’s a fair deal for all. 

the point is.. you do not want to sit on a player that has a potential to blow up his prior years numbers and then you can not afford him.... (Cough Edmunds)

14 minutes ago, Success said:

It's important to note that if anyone who posts on this board was GM, we'd still be deep into the drought.

No offense to anyone, of course.

Does anyone who posts on the board have a staff of professional scouts to assist them on personnel decisions? Don't sell people short. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, MikePJ76 said:

It's not.  Not by an stretch.  

Go out on the open market and sign another 3T and see what that costs.   The top guys don't get out of their organizations.  You have to draft them so keeping your own is usually the best way to go.  With the salary cap increase in the next few years and probably an out on this contract in 3 years its not the big deal everyone is freaking out about.  

Man....I love sanity!!

1 hour ago, PetermansRedemption said:

Don’t understand this at all. Let him play the final year and then you could have paid him that if he improved. 

No, it would be more.  That’s why teams do deals early.  It’s a risk but it could be a great deal for the Bills.  

It’s almost like some posters on this board don’t know that several DT’s this off-season signed extensions at 21-24 million per year.  And Chris Jones and Quinnen Williams haven’t even gotten theirs yet.  Chris Jones signed an extension 4 years ago that is similar to what Oliver just agreed to.  It’s not that much in the grand scheme; especially if he gets more consistent

5 minutes ago, Billzgobowlin said:

This is a very good move.  He was stellar when he had Von there.  The problem has been there has not been much help on the line.

Shouldn’t your DT make your DE’s better, not the other way around?

2 hours ago, Dave_Bills said:

Don’t know the numbers but this looks like a gamble by Beane. I thought 2023 would be his last year as a Bill.

Need more production with that kind of money.

Yeah, and now he's got a lot of incentive to provide by stepping up.  LOL 

2 minutes ago, purple haze said:

No, it would be more.  That’s why teams do deals early.  It’s a risk but it could be a great deal for the Bills.  

It’s almost like some posters on this board don’t know that several DT’s this off-season signed extensions at 21-24 million per year.  And Chris Jones and Quinnen Williams haven’t even gotten theirs yet.  Chris Jones signed an extension 4 years ago that is similar to what Oliver just agreed to.  It’s not that much in the grand scheme; especially if he gets more consistent

We all saw how Dareus improved after he got his bag..

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Motorin' said:

Yeah... But might it be 68 across 5 season, making it 13.5 per? 

Nearly $11M for this season, $45M guaranteed.  

I'm shocked.  We couldn't sign Edmunds and have mystery meat at LB, but for a LB that shows up two or three times a season he gets that kinda of money.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.