Ed Oliver big extension

HappyDays

1 minute ago, Airseven said:

Beane and McDermott have peaked with the Bills. This is the type of desperate move you see on the backend of a regime. It justifies their past moves as opposed to maximizing them.

Oh boy

• Like (+1) 1

Fun fact:

Last year there were only 5 DTs in the NFL that had more Tackles for Loss per game than Ed Oliver.

But please keep telling us how awful he is and that you never see him make any plays.

It's funny because it just shows how little you actually see. :lol:

• Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 10

5 minutes ago, Einstein said:

When healthy, do you believe he is a top 10 interior d-linemen?

this is so hard. #1 I think you have to talk top 15 not top 10 seeing he is being paid a top 15. #2 its so hard to tell when a player is still struggling with an injury. 

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, PrimeTime101 said:

this is so hard. #1 I think you have to talk top 15 not top 10 seeing he is being paid a top 15. #2 its so hard to tell when a player is still struggling with an injury. 

Like the QB market, he is also “the most recent”. That matters. In that regard I think it’s a fair deal for all. 

• Like (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, GETTOTHE50 said:

thats a next year problem.

and i wouldnt mind seeing a rookie fill that spot. it would at the very least, give us a new whipping boy.

They can still draft a DT next year.  This contract doesn't stop anything from happening at the DT position.

20 minutes ago, Fetou said:

Why not just allocate that towards keeping Edmunds if you are inclined to overvalue your own picks? I'm hoping that aren't too many more bad long term deals that will hamper the next GM into the future 

Because of the position.  The under tackle is the more important position in the defense and the more expensive one in free agency.

8 minutes ago, Airseven said:

Beane and McDermott have peaked with the Bills. This is the type of desperate move you see on the backend of a regime. It justifies their past moves as opposed to maximizing them.

I hate overly dramatic, unjust criticism that in no way, shape or form can you even explain at this point in time.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, BufBills83 said:

I hate overly dramatic, unjust criticism that in no way, shape or form can you even explain at this point in time.

Best to just ignore this one, then. I try not to feed the trolls. 

6 minutes ago, Simon said:

Fun fact:

Last year there were only 5 DTs in the NFL that had more Tackles for Loss per game than Ed Oliver.

But please keep telling us how awful he is and that you never see him make any plays.

It's funny because it just shows how little you actually see. :lol:

As soon as I saw this come across the wire I knew the cats would be screaming here.  This is not a surprise to anyone paying attention.  This contract makes Oliver the 16th highest paid DT in the league over the life of the contract, for production that is much better than that as you point out.  The Bills chose this course rather than opening up a huge hole in the middle of their defense.  How shocking. Oliver is not Donald which it seems most Bills fans cannot forgive him or Beane for, but he is one of the top players at his position in the NFL, with upside.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 2

What an absolutely horrific contract. It should be inarguable that Oliver has been a disappointment during his first four years here, never eclipsing a level beyond "flashes potential" at any point. He's put up 14.5 sacks over 4 years, with 2.5 and 34 tackles in 2022 and he gets rewarded with a 17m a year contract. They could have signed Suh for 1/3 of that contract and he would have been an instant upgrade.

As much as I can't stand Edmunds, if Beane was going to waste the money this way he should have just re-signed him. Are we going to see a $15M deal for Gabe Davis next? What the ***** is Beane doing?

Just now, FLFan said:

As soon as I saw this come across the wire I knew the cats would be screaming here.  This is not a surprise to anyone paying attention.  This contract makes Oliver the 16th highest paid DT in the league over the life of the contract, for production that is much better than that as you point out.  The Bills chose this course rather than opening up a huge hole in the middle of their defense.  How shocking. Oliver is not Donald which it seems most Bills fans cannot forgive him or Beane for, but he is one of the top players at his position in the NFL, with upside.  

Can you back this up with even 1 stat? I'm not sure he's top 20.

• Eyeroll 2

Are people nuts? Good deal for Buffalo. This contract doesn't even make Oliver top 10 AAV in terms of all DTs in the NFL.

Basically, he got the contract for a slightly above average NFL DT. And that's about what he is with the potential to be better moving forward hopefully looking back on injuries as the excuse for 2022.

And I'm sure very quickly other DTs will sign more lucrative deals making this look even better.

Love the deal. Now extend Jones for another year or 2 and maybe Ford in season if he's playing as well as we hope.

Anyone know yet how much CAP space this clears for this year? Extending Jones could clear more.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, BufBills83 said:

You should just ignore trolls like this.  He has yet to post anything that deserves a response.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

36 minutes ago, MikePJ76 said:

isn't the bigger question "how do you replace him" going forward.  Having no DT's signed for next year, especially the under tackle would be a huge problem.

Which other 3T would be available to step right in and play his snaps?  How much would he cost in free agency compared to oliver?  What is available in the draft next year etc.  

Extending him fills one spot and allows the organization to at least have him going forward who they can rely on.  There will be enough gators in the swamp as it is on defense next year.

blowing 7.5% of your cap on a chronic under-achiever just so you don't have to replace him is a complete loser mentality.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.