Ed Oliver big extension

HappyDays

1 minute ago, Herc11 said:

Maybe they are expecting big things from him this year next to Ford and with McD running the D. Beanr very well could be trying to lock him up on the cheap before Ed is turned loose and puts up stats that would of commanded a lot more cash.

That I imagine is the plan.  Leave him at the under tackle and let him line up at times next to ford at the nose....along with a healthy secondary and von miller's return they have to expect a good season from him.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Aussie Joe said:

Poor Ford… earning chump change himself… but already making $$$ for the other guys and hasn’t played a down here yet 

Space eaters don't command the same salary as the guys with the numbers

6 minutes ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

Mr. Beane: "Hey, Ed!  Want to see Coach Washington's head and TSW implode?!"

Mr. Oliver:  "Sure, Mr. B!"

😁

As of today:

Mr. Washington: "we are confident that this very generous contract extension will be a source of significant motivation for Mr. Oliver to become a more significant playmaker heading into this, his 5th season".

Messrs Haynesworth and Dareus: "definitely....bahahahaha!"

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, mushypeaches said:

I legitimately did not see this coming.  It feels like Beane blinked first knowing that he didn't have any DT's under contract for next year.  

Seems out of character

It’s in character. Consider the money and resources Beane has wasted on the DL.

Just now, Simon said:

Watching people that have absolutely zero clue about DT play freak out about this is hilarious. :lol: :lol: :lol:

It's not that hard, you just push someone that weighs more than you out of the way like a 60lb child and then tackle the guy with the ball.  Easy.

• Haha (+1) 1

Here's a hypothetical contract structure which shows how this move can make cap sense:

Extension value:  $68m

Guaranteed total:  $45m

Signing bonus:  $25m

Salary total:  $43m

Cap Hits (by year; amortized signing bonus listed first)

1. $5m + $1m = $6m (creating $4m in cap space)
  2. $5m + $8m = $13m
  3. $5m + $11m = $16m
  4. $5m + $11m = $16m
  5. $5m + $12m = $17m

Total Cash Paid (by year)

1. $25m + $1m = $26m
  2. $26m + $8m = $34m
  3. $34m + $11m = $45m (guaranteed total met)
  4. $45m + $11m = $56m
  5. $56m + $12m =$68m
  • Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, GETTOTHE50 said:

What has he accomplished really 

isn't the bigger question "how do you replace him" going forward.  Having no DT's signed for next year, especially the under tackle would be a huge problem.

Which other 3T would be available to step right in and play his snaps?  How much would he cost in free agency compared to oliver?  What is available in the draft next year etc.  

Extending him fills one spot and allows the organization to at least have him going forward who they can rely on.  There will be enough gators in the swamp as it is on defense next year.

1 minute ago, Capco said:

Here's a hypothetical contract structure which shows how this move can make cap sense:

Extension value:  $68m

Guaranteed total:  $45m

Signing bonus:  $25m

Salary total:  $43m

Cap Hits (by year; amortized signing bonus listed first)

1. $5m + $1m = $6m (creating $4m in cap space)
  2. $5m + $8m = $13m
  3. $5m + $11m = $16m
  4. $5m + $11m = $16m
  5. $5m + $12m = $17m

Total Cash Paid (by year)

1. $25m + $1m = $26m
  2. $26m + $8m = $34m
  3. $34m + $11m = $45m (guaranteed total met)
  4. $45m + $11m = $56m
  5. $56m + $12m =$68m

Can his entire base this year be converted into the signing bonus?

5 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Ha. I have been at a comedy gig. But I have been telling people since January and certainly since they didn't trade him before FA that the most likely outcome was an extension. 

You and I both have been on train where you extend a player as cheap as you can because if a player gets hot that 5th year option year... then you can not afford it. 

1 minute ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Can his entire base this year be converted into the signing bonus?

That's what capco did in his example.

The signing bonus is prorated over the entire contract, leaving only $1M base this year.

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, boater said:

That's a lot of guaranteed money. What could go wrong?

The only real problem isn't that Oliver is a bad player, he's not.

It's that there's a real possibility that he's going to spend a large chunk of his career regularly fighting injuries that hamper his speed and strength. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

25 minutes ago, PrimeTime101 said:

@LABILLBACKER yep.. the person that just gave me the eye roll knows he was one of them ha ha.. that is ok.. we go back and forth.. 2/3rds of the time your right... the last third i am right. all good bro lol

Prime....if Ed balls out and leads us toward a championship with the "learning curve" issues, I will be the first one to personally apologize to you. I just see Dareus 2.0 in this whole extension.  And we all remember how that worked out.  Ed shows me nothing that screams 10M/yr, let alone a whopping 17 large. And I think you're extremely underestimating Sean's "Belichick-like" abilities to micro manage.  

What’s the cap savings this year?  Not sure it’s DHop money, but gives us sone breathing room.

We are definitely up against the cap and I believe Beane likes ability for moves during the season.  Need cap space for injury replacements and such.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.