Ed Oliver big extension

HappyDays

11 minutes ago, BillyBilliams said:

However, him only costing $17M a year is a steal.  That ranks him 11th on the pay scale at his position, and this doesn't include players like Quinnen Williams.

Just because a player is the 12th best player at his position in the league (which is debatable IMO) doesn't mean you have to pay him that way. We let Edmunds walk for similar reasons. This devotes even more future cap space to the DL after a tremendous over-investment in that group over the past few years, which gives us less flexibility to pay game changing players around Allen.

I can't find any logic for this extension. It is totally unnecessary IMO and in fact it may lead to Oliver not playing to his best level this year because he has no incentive to push himself to be greater.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Disagree 3
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, PrimeTime101 said:

Your delusional if you think this is on McD. The Bills analytic team goes over these things... McD and his staff goes over these things... Claiming a HC is underperforming Defensive players over anything on offense is really every part of wrong. 

Based on what?

I've always been skeptical that McD is the real boss.

• Eyeroll 1

13 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

Beane and McD continue to make a mess of the DL.   A lot of dollars and picks spent and still mediocre results. 

You forgot to add ‘for a 3peat Division Champion with numerous top 5 Defensive rankings.’ 
Oterwise, you’re spot on 😉👍

• Like (+1) 5
  • Haha (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 4

2 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Just because a player is the 12th best player at his position in the league (which is debatable IMO) doesn't mean you have to pay him that way. We let Edmunds walk for similar reasons. 

Say it louder for those in the back :) 

• Disagree 1

3 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I can't find any logic for this extension. It is totally unnecessary IMO and in fact it may lead to Oliver not playing to his best level this year because he has no incentive to push himself to be greater.

The only possible “logic” i can think of is that they want to free up some money for an acquisition this year ( D Hop? ) and don’t want to kick any (more) money down the road for Tre and Dawkins 

Edited by Aussie Joe
  • Agree 1

13 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Metaphorically on this board? Yes. "Spewed hyperbole" is in regards to how bad the whipping boys actually are in comparison to how they're spoken of.

Oliver isn't consistent. But when he's on, he's dominant. His play fell off when Von Miller went down. When he was playing and teams weren't focusing on Ed, he was playing more consistently good than bad.

So that means for 11 games of his career, he's been dominant.

Metaphorically dominant, I assume you meant....

As for the last guy TBD posters "ran out of town", the Bills entire organization agreed.   Good, not as bad as we said, whatever...they concluded he wasn't worth keeping----without our help.

Honestly thought we may actually get a solid year of production out of Ed because he was playing for another contract but now…

I hope Beane is right on this one because imo “potential” doesn’t deserve a contract even close to sniffing proven elite DTs like Q. Williams and Chris Jones. Ed needs to show up now that’s he’s got his money

15 minutes ago, LEBills said:

I’m certainly not against signing Ed long term like this, but I think letting him play out his contract year and then having the franchise tag in your pocket if he popped was the best move. The justification for doing this now would be if we were making more cap room to add a DHop or other piece whatever that may be. But I think they just value him more than most on the board do.

This sums it up perfectly.

Just now, HappyDays said:

Just because a player is the 12th best player at his position in the league (which is debatable IMO) doesn't mean you have to pay him that way. We let Edmunds walk for similar reasons. This devotes even more future cap space to the DL after a tremendous over-investment in that group over the past few years, which gives us less flexibility to pay game changing players around Allen.

It's the way they do things and I agree w you, I think it's just as risky cap management giving the Ed Olivers and Taron Johnsons of the world good deals as it is taking big swings on DeAndre Hopkins etc

I mean it's commendable they have a system that can utilize guys without elite pro traits but you end up w a ton of capital that isn't valuable anywhere outside Buffalo

• Process changed the title to Possible to revoke Beane's DL privileges?
2 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

It's the way they do things and I agree w you, I think it's just as risky cap management giving the Ed Olivers and Taron Johnsons of the world good deals as it is taking big swings on DeAndre Hopkins etc

I mean it's commendable they have a system that can utilize guys without elite pro traits but you end up w a ton of capital that isn't valuable anywhere outside Buffalo

Don't bring Taron into this!

• Haha (+1) 2

I understand that DTs, especially ones that can provide a decent pass rush, are scarce. Oliver is a good DT, but even with that said I don’t get $17M AAV on the extension. There’s no way to look at that and not see a substantial overpay. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, MJS said:

I guess the coaches don't think he sucks after all. That's why you don't read between the lines, people.

Not sure how you infer that.

Coaches and front offices disagree all the time.

The Titans front office literally traded WR AJ Brown to Philly last year despite Head Coach Vrabel railing against it. After AJ Brown went off the next season, they fired the GM for making the wrong choice and Vrabel got a status boost.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.