Ed Oliver big extension

HappyDays

1 minute ago, Donuts and Doritos said:

Wow, position coach calls ya out 1 day, GM pays ya big $ the next. Guess Beane thinks everything's good "from the neck up" w/ Oliver.

Accept some of us did not look at that as a call out, just some things they feel he will improve upon. 

• Like (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, Billsfan4588 said:

Color me confused. I'd understand if it was a discount, but that's top dollar. 

This is shocking, stupid and completely irresponsible.  Maybe we'll pretend Gabe is a WR2 and give him 50M.  That money could've gone toward a RT next year after Brown gets Josh killed.  Unbelievable??

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

do you really think that fans in general or posters here actually "chase players out of town"?

I mean, that has to be spewed hyperbole, right?  

Metaphorically on this board? Yes. "Spewed hyperbole" is in regards to how bad the whipping boys actually are in comparison to how they're spoken of.

Oliver isn't consistent. But when he's on, he's dominant. His play fell off when Von Miller went down. When he was playing and teams weren't focusing on Ed, he was playing more consistently good than bad.

I’m going to reserve judgement until I see the full details.  Initially, I’d rather have kept Edmunds, which says a lot for me.  

For Oliver, I’m tired of the injuries and excuses.  But in Beane I trust 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Disagree 2
  • Agree 2

33 minutes ago, Billsfan4588 said:

Color me confused. I'd understand if it was a discount, but that's top dollar. 

I am completely shocked by this.

I just ... do not understand it. 

Give me 30 year old Hopkins over what Oliver has given us thus far.

Edit: or Edmunds!

Edited by Einstein
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Donuts and Doritos said:

Wow, position coach calls ya out 1 day, GM pays ya big $ the next. Guess Beane thinks everything's good "from the neck up" w/ Oliver.

Ever think that maybe that was put out there for a reason during a contract negotiation?

I’m certainly not against signing Ed long term like this, but I think letting him play out his contract year and then having the franchise tag in your pocket if he popped was the best move. The justification for doing this now would be if we were making more cap room to add a DHop or other piece whatever that may be. But I think they just value him more than most on the board do.

34 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I am genuinely shocked by this.

You shouldn't be. If you listened to Beane instead of this board, you'd have realized this was going one of two ways. 1.) He would be extended or 2.) His price tag in the Offseason was out of our reach. 

He was never going to be traded. And if he wasn't in our plans of the future, they'd have looked to move him or not signed him to the 5th year extension before last season.

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Yeah I thought letting him play out a contract year was the best possible outcome. This is a head scratcher for me. It feels like Beane panicked after Lawrence and Simmons signed their deals and wanted to make sure Oliver got done before Quinnen Williams. I feel that Oliver does not have the natural desire to be one of the greatest at his position so I would have left his incentive on the table.

If we're doing this as a means to clear up cap space to afford Hopkins this year then I can get behind on it. But even in that scenario this extension will give us less cap space to offer Hopkins in 2024.

A month ago I said we should extend him, because if he balls out like an Edmunds year last year.. we would not afford him... I GOT SLAMMED for it. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 2

This move:

1. keeps the DT position foreseeably stable
  2. might free up some cap space this year
    • the guaranteed money is always what you look at, not the total salary
    • does the $45mil figure include the $10mil from his rookie contract since that was already fully guaranteed?
    • how much much of the guaranteed money is from the signing bonus?
  3. probably gives us an manageable out in 3 years, so think of it more as a 2 year extension
  4. gives us some off-season entertainment
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.