Someone came to look at my deck this morning, and a funny thing happened

SinatraSinger

1 hour ago, phypon said:

Unless you are physically unable to, work on the deck yourself.  It's a deck, not building a skyscraper here.

LOL Wat? 

Some people enjoy doing projects, like building a deck or painting it. 

Some people don't enjoy it, but they enjoy saving money with DIY they can then spend on other things, be it necessities or gifts or vacations

But if you have enough money to meet your needs and wants, and you don't enjoy stuff like building a deck, why would you do it if you can afford to hire someone?  Let another man eat, and spend your time doing something you do enjoy. 

Life's uncertain, and too short to pinch every penny and spend time doing stuff you don't enjoy outside work if you have alternatives.

Edited by Beck Water
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, SinatraSinger said:

So what would you have done?

After it's completed, invite a Fins fan over to walk all around the deck first checking for loose boards.  Kind of like a food tester.  

1 minute ago, Beck Water said:

LOL Wat? 

Some people enjoy doing projects, like building a deck or painting it. 

Some people don't enjoy it, but they enjoy saving money with DIY they can then spend on other things, be it necessities or gifts or vacations

But if you have enough money to meet your needs and wants, and you don't enjoy it, why would you do it if you can afford to hire someone?  Let another man eat, and spend your time doing something you do enjoy. 

Life's uncertain, and too short to pinch every penny and spend time doing stuff you don't enjoy outside work if you have alternatives.

Indeed.  

And where I live, finding quality workmanship is even more difficult, so while I do enjoy doing those things myself, it's also nice to know that the job got properly done.  

I had a person who restores decks come to give me a quote this morning and his name was Josh Allen.  I of course busted his chops about that and he replied that he was Josh Sr. and the other was Josh Jr.  I chuckled but then he hit me with this little tid bit, this guy is a Dolphin fan.  A freaking Dolphin fan.  I asked him if he really wanted the job.  I had a mind not to.  I like his price, he was very professional, reviews are great but he is a Dolphins fan.  

I decided to give him the job when I remembered that it is no longer the 70's or early 80's and the Dolphins are no loner our real rivals.  For the last 20 years it has been the Pats, but I now think it is becoming the Jets, just my .02

What if he'd have been wearing a Chiefs hat? :ph34r:

6 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Makes perfect sense to me.  I almost threw out an insulated Yeti that is perfect for my morning coffee, AND a present from my daughter to boot, because it is that exact color of Dolphins aqua.  I decided the cachet of my daughter spending her (at the time) scarce and hard-earned money on a gift, far outweighed the unfortunate color, so I kept it, but I had to think about it.

But then, I've been a fan from the mid-60s and can well remember 20 consecutive straight losses through the '70s

Any fan who lived through that wretched decade carries an enduring antipathy for the Phins. Don Shula was the complete opposite to Belichick, but he was on the competition committee and I still think they got beneficial calls.  

I had a person who restores decks come to give me a quote this morning and his name was Josh Allen.  I of course busted his chops about that and he replied that he was Josh Sr. and the other was Josh Jr.  I chuckled but then he hit me with this little tid bit, this guy is a Dolphin fan.  A freaking Dolphin fan.  I asked him if he really wanted the job.  I had a mind not to.  I like his price, he was very professional, reviews are great but he is a Dolphins fan.  

I decided to give him the job when I remembered that it is no longer the 70's or early 80's and the Dolphins are no loner our real rivals.  For the last 20 years it has been the Pats, but I now think it is becoming the Jets, just my .02

Shoulda kicked him right square in the nut sack…,

• Haha (+1) 1

Haven't read the OP or the thread, but...

Based solely on the thread title, this thing could go in SO many different directions.

As a creative writing prompt, it's hard to beat "someone came to look at my deck this morning and a funny thing happened...".

I'm gonna choose to NOT read it, actually. The reality can't possibly be better than what I'm imagining.

Edited by Logic

2 minutes ago, Logic said:

Haven't read the OP or the thread, but...

Based solely on the thread title, this thing could go in SO many different directions.

As a creative writing prompt, it's hard to beat "someone came to look at my deck this morning and a funny thing happened...".

I'm gonna choose to NOT read it, actually. The reality can't possibly be better than what I'm imagining.

Dear The Stadium Wall forum...

• Haha (+1) 2

53 minutes ago, Bobby Hooks said:

Nah. I couldn’t disagree more with this. Obviously, if you can’t afford to get someone to do it. Then yeah, definitely get in there. 

But you get a professional to make sure it’s done right, and you’re giving someone some work. 

I don’t even paint my own deck. 

I like the "giving someone some work" aspect. 

Our personal problem with hiring people, is the Sebastian the Crab aspect: "if you want it done right, you have to do it yourself".  We try to find contractors or companies with good reviews or who have done good recent work for people we know, but it's still been a mixed bag. 

If there were a magic wand I could wave to ensure that the company or contractor we hire would do a competent professional job with no hassles, we'd probably hire more and do less.

Part of the problem is that we're both engineers and have a lot of construction/remodeling hands-on experience and we read up to fill in the gaps, so we can really tell when something is not being done correctly.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

I’ll admit I definitely would get a little skeptical of someone’s character if they like the Chiefs now per say.  I might question how loyal the person is.  

But yeah that sounds silly to not hire someone just because they like the Dolphins.   Assuming they are a good fit otherwise 

40 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Makes perfect sense to me.  I almost threw out an insulated Yeti that is perfect for my morning coffee, AND a present from my daughter to boot, because it is that exact color of Dolphins aqua.  I decided the cachet of my daughter spending her (at the time) scarce and hard-earned money on a gift, far outweighed the unfortunate color, so I kept it, but I had to think about it.

But then, I've been a fan from the mid-60s and can well remember 20 consecutive straight losses through the '70s

Take it somewhere and say you lost it.  

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Bobby Hooks said:

Nah. I couldn’t disagree more with this. Obviously, if you can’t afford to get someone to do it. Then yeah, definitely get in there. 

But you get a professional to make sure it’s done right, and you’re giving someone some work. 

I don’t even paint my own deck. 

Who in their right mind would paint a deck?

1 hour ago, Bobby Hooks said:

Is that bad? I left a girl at the alter because I found out she was a fan of the team that always faced the globetrotters in the 70’s. 

They were America’s team! The ball was a flag for crying out loud! 

Those Washington Generals had a rabid fanbase, for sure! I can relate to their pain after experiencing our drought.  

1 hour ago, Maynard said:

I had a guy over who was fixing my elliptical last week. He saw my Bills stuff hanging around and quietly said he was a Patsies fan. Every time I walked by the room he was working in I’d yell Go Bills! Must have done it a dozen times. 

Btw, he had to work under a huge Bills Mafia flag I have hanging on the wall. 

I had a neighbors over to design a new kitchen for us. He’s actually quite famous architect and does huge jobs all over the world, but my wife didn’t realize this was like asking Rembrandt to paint your bathroom. He lives up the street and was too polite to say no.

When he saw my Bills stuff in the house he explained that his wife was going for a beach vacation with friends. He’s not a beach kinda guy so he was taking a different trip. He was going to Buffalo on an “architectural vacation” to see all the cool old stuff there. He sent us multiple pics of wings, pizza and beer. He fit right in with WNY! 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.