NFL roster grades

Sharky7337

A few quick observations:

1. QB seems to be the leading indicator of overall roster strength.

2. The Rams are a mess just a couple years out from going all in.

3 The Jets defense, for all its accolades, seems to have a bunch of holes.

4. The Bills roster, for all the debate on this Board, is shown to be the best across the board with no glaring holes.

7 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

A few quick observations:

1. QB seems to be the leading indicator of overall roster strength.

2. The Rams are a mess just a couple years out from going all in.

3 The Jets defense, for all its accolades, seems to have a bunch of holes.

4. The Bills roster, for all the debate on this Board, is shown to be the best across the board with no glaring holes.

And I was just thinking it reminded me of a Christmas tree.  🤷‍♂️

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Spot on IMO. I do think our OL can be better, but they'll have to prove it. I'm excited for Torrence's potential. McGovern, not so much. My hope is that Edwards will return to pre-injury form and unseat McGovern. He was slightly above average in LA at one point.McGovern only got a starting job last year and Dallas let him walk because he was subpar. The Bills are gambling that McGovern and Brown can develop into decent OL. Otherwise they look to become career backups.

• Dislike 1

Not a huge fan of this because he just arbitrarily assigns numbers based on how he feels the unit is.

It's a way for people to try to add validity to their opinions. Convert your opinion into a number and suddenly it is supposed to have more weight. Just like PFF.

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, MJS said:

Not a huge fan of this because he just arbitrarily assigns numbers based on how he feels the unit is.

It's a way for people to try to add validity to their opinions. Convert your opinion into a number and suddenly it is supposed to have more weight. Just like PFF.

Out of curiosity…how would you prefer it be done? 

2 hours ago, MJS said:

There is a link provided in the first tweeted reply that shows the ranking info. It is not arbitrary, but PFF grades/rankings are used. The numbers used are strictly based on last season’s performances. 

Edited by BarleyNY

Here is a breakdown of the Bills rankings, according to that list, for easy reference:

QB: 2nd

RB: 21st

WR: 20th

TE: 11th

OL: 23rd

DL (interior): 9th

Edge: 9th

LB: 18th

CB: 9th

Saf: 1st

Overall: 3rd

Off: 9th

Def: 2nd

1 hour ago, SoCal Deek said:

Out of curiosity…how would you prefer it be done? 

Using stats and metrics for each unit to determine the score. Pro Football Reference has their AV scores, which are imperfect but are objective and stats based. Could use those scores to determine the overall unit score for each team.

Just about anything is better than pulling a number out of your behind and then performing an analysis on those numbers as if they were real numbers.

41 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

There is a link provided in the first tweeted reply that shows the ranking info. It is not arbitrary, but PFF grades/rankings are used. The numbers used are strictly based on last season’s performances. 

He uses PFF grades as a starting point and adjusts his scores based on his own feelings.

PFF grades are exactly the same thing. Arbitrarily assigning a number based on your opinion on a player. It's why I don't like them either.

3 hours ago, Sharky7337 said:

Thoughts? Our OL grade is the big ouch to me hahaha

The WRs are way too low.   The detailed team report and independent position rankings seem a bit ridiculous.  

To point out a couple, I mean we're really ranked behind Chicago and Baltimore for WRs?  Really?!  

For the most part seems reasonable tho, although Von Miller essentially is the ED, and Milano essentially is the LB.  Both are impact, but it also assumes that Miller at 34 and returning from a serious injury will be 100% or close to it, and that age hasn't factored in.  

He's also got Allen throwing for 4-6 fewer TDs than he has in any of the last three seasons.  Not sure I see that unless Dorsey really f's up.  

In other predictions that won't sit well with most here, he's got Cook rushing for 689, Harris for 507.  

For WRs he has Davis at only 765 and Shakir as the third leading WR with 322.  

Kincaid 494/4.  

He's got Torrence backing up McGovern at LG with Bates starting at RG.  Not sure I see Torrence not starting as a 2nd round pick.  Bates is OK but he's hardly great and certainly not worth ignoring a 2nd-round OL pick that many had being taken in the 1st-round.  

If those are the numbers that we put up given the circumstances I don't see Dorsey surviving the turk.  

3 hours ago, Augie said:

And I was just thinking it reminded me of a Christmas tree.  🤷‍♂️

After smoking a bowl, or what?  

:D 

3 hours ago, GreggTX said:

Spot on IMO. I do think our OL can be better, but they'll have to prove it. I'm excited for Torrence's potential. McGovern, not so much. My hope is that Edwards will return to pre-injury form and unseat McGovern. He was slightly above average in LA at one point.McGovern only got a starting job last year and Dallas let him walk because he was subpar. The Bills are gambling that McGovern and Brown can develop into decent OL. Otherwise they look to become career backups.

Was Edwards put on IR for his concussion?  I don't see anything else.  That shouldn't be an impediment for this season.  

The bigger indicator is his 1-year $1.7M contract, a Beane specialty, which doesn't exactly scream out talent.  

Contrasted with McGovern's 3-year $23M deal in particular.  I don't see Edwards unseating McGovern.  If he does it won't bode well for Beane.  

• Like (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, Process said:

Considering we are paying one TE $13M a year, and just spent a first round pick on another, we better have better than the 11th best TE group. 

A trade-up 1st as well.  

50 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

WR should be slightly higher but not by much…. Everyone but some Bills fans think our WRs are good. 😅

RB who cares. 

Think OL should be a slightly better ranking simply by subtracting Saffold, but understand the ranking. 

Davis is better than most realize.  Not saying that it's an elite group, but at some point, despite being unpopular, if you're going to trade-up to get a TE in the 1st, drop $52M on another TE, have one of the most expensive WRs in the league as a FA, you'd better get some production out of the unit, otherwise we need to talk Beane, which few want to do.  

Our RBs are a downgrade from last season as we will see.  At the end of the day though, it's all going to depend upon Dorsey and the chemistry between him and Josh.  If that's there, unlike last season, then we have the potential to be the best offense in the league.  I wouldn't put money on it, but that potential is there.  

Edited by PBF81

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.