The Salary Cap for the Bills Right Now

JackKemp

6 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

There is a possibility that the bills don’t want to restructure anybody else this year

They might want to save some of those restructures for a future year

I hope so.  I have to believe Beane is done for this year.   This roster is better than last year's.  Time to go play some games.  

8 hours ago, Aussie Joe said:

Until they restructure someone right? 

They can create space. Hopefully they are able to sign a pass rusher.

6 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

There is a possibility that the bills don’t want to restructure anybody else this year

The key is to restructure players you believe will perform at a high level over the next few years.

I do believe Tre White gets cut next year so I don’t think they want to restructure his deal.

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede

11 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

They can create space. Hopefully they are able to sign a pass rusher.

The key is to restructure players you believe will perform at a high level over the next few years.

I do believe Tre White gets cut next year so I don’t think they want to restructure his deal.

I can’t believe people are actually talking about cutting tre white

7 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

Agreed, if you mean that they don't want to restructure more to add players.

But they need to do something before the season starts, since we need about $7M more cap space for PS players and basic in-season moves, and even more if Von/Doyle/anybody else starts season on PUP/IR.

I am really curious who Beane decides to restructure. White or Dawkins seem like most logical options (if we are talking converting base salary to some bonus).

7 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

Agree. The guys left that they could restructure all have some question marks around them. 

I think it's far more plausible we see an extension or 2 that lowers the cap hit this year if they need to free up some money. Jones is possible. An Oliver extension would free up space (not that I'm advocating that they do that one). Dawkins perhaps (but like Oliver, not advocating).

They could also have a surprise roster cut/trade this preseason as well. Tons of breathing room to still maneuver for Beane and still end up $4-5M under the cap without too much future impact.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

And Pegula only does that is he believes in his GM. 

I don't know if it says THAT much about how he feels about Beane.    I doubt he has the same confidence in him that he had in 2020.   But everyone knows that this team is close with prime Josh Allen at QB and the Pegula's gave McBeane full control and it wouldn't make sense to scale back now to try to save a few million $ and leave them with any excuses.

9 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

The thing that is impressive about that is Terry Pegula writing those checks.   Beane is just doing what most GM's would do if the owner gave them total control of the checkbook.   

This is why I’m not terribly worried about the Bengals long term. Once they have to pay Burrow and a couple other guys, how eager do you think they will be to tie up hundreds of millions of $$$ for the guaranteed money? I think they will have some built in limitations due to ownership. 

3 hours ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

Agree. The guys left that they could restructure all have some question marks around them. 

I think it's far more plausible we see an extension or 2 that lowers the cap hit this year if they need to free up some money. Jones is possible. An Oliver extension would free up space (not that I'm advocating that they do that one). Dawkins perhaps (but like Oliver, not advocating).

They could also have a surprise roster cut/trade this preseason as well. Tons of breathing room to still maneuver for Beane and still end up $4-5M under the cap without too much future impact.

That is really the issue. I do not like the idea of restructuring Dawkins. He might require an extension to do so as well and I would not want to add guarantees to his deal at this point. Tre White is a better option, but I understand why people would hesitate. But my view is that his salary this season is now guaranteed so we might as well make some room with it. The other possibility is cutting Morse. I’m not advocating for that, but I can see it happening - especially with the money and high draft pick spent on the IOL. 

11 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

I'm completely fine staying there as our roster is good enough right now to win a Super Bowl.  I don't want to kick the can down the road any more unless a premier RT becomes unexpectedly available.

Adding Brandon Shell makes me much more comfortable with the Right Tackle position.

If Spencer Brown totally fails to progress, we have a veteran with a ton of starting experience ready to step in.

I think the next move will be for a veteran Edge Rusher like Yannick Ngakoue, Frank Clark or Justin Houston.

There is currently no rush to get one of these guys into camp (they probably don't want to be there anyway), and waiting until closer to the season may ultimately get us a better deal.

Just now, BarleyNY said:

That is really the issue. I do not like the idea of restructuring Dawkins. He might require an extension to do so as well and I would not want to add guarantees to his deal at this point. Tre White is a better option, but I understand why people would hesitate. But my view is that his salary this season is now guaranteed so we might as well make some room with it. The other possibility is cutting Morse. I’m not advocating for that, but I can see it happening - especially with the money and high draft pick spent on the IOL. 

The news about Buffalo doing another medical checkup on his ACL tells me that restructuring Tre White would probably be our first move, in the event more cap space is needed.

6 minutes ago, mjt328 said:

The news about Buffalo doing another medical checkup on his ACL tells me that restructuring Tre White would probably be our first move, in the event more cap space is needed.

Assuming the knee is okay, I agree. The Bills definitely need to make some cap room for when they go to a 53 man roster plus practice squad. Even with restructuring Tre they might need to find a few more dollars for IR replacements.

12 hours ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

... is pretty gosh darn impressive

You can just borrow from future years which is largely what Beane has done, I don't view it as impressive because as it stands right now they are going to be up against it for many years doing this same thing.  I would say Beane was more of a responsible spender this year (so far, that changes if he signs Hopkins).  They need to be more calculated and careful about who gets "paid".  Not every good player deserves a pricy extension

16 minutes ago, Matt_In_NH said:

You can just borrow from future years which is largely what Beane has done, I don't view it as impressive because as it stands right now they are going to be up against it for many years doing this same thing.  I would say Beane was more of a responsible spender this year (so far, that changes if he signs Hopkins).  They need to be more calculated and careful about who gets "paid".  Not every good player deserves a pricy extension

This is what every GM does though, so it’s not as if Beane is doing something reckless that all GM’s aren’t doing. Not saying you in particular, but there’s a really odd obsession with what the cap will look like in 2-3 years around here. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.