New stadium official groundbreaking - Monday morning (6/5/2023)

Draconator

3 minutes ago, Billl said:

It doesn't need to be at the stadium.  Kansas City hosted this year, and it was in midtown which is 10 miles from the stadium.  The draft is a perfect event for smaller market teams like Kansas City and Buffalo.  

I know it doesn't have to be there but why wouldn't the NFL love to showcase the new stadium that they wanted to be built?

19 minutes ago, mrags said:

Yeah I got a huge kick out of the governor quoting “where else would you rather be than right here right now” incorrectly. Which on its own is not that big a deal, except right before she said it she just finished talking about what a die hard Bills fan she is. 

She also didn't remember, or her staff didn't research, that the 1973 Buffalo Bills (the inaugural season in Rich Stadium) were actually one of the better teams in franchise history, highlighted of course by OJs record breaking season. I mean....sheesh! 

43 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

I know it doesn't have to be there but why wouldn't the NFL love to showcase the new stadium that they wanted to be built?

It could be cool, but I’m just not sure how a stadium lends itself to that sort of event.  It’s a casual atmosphere.  Either way, Buffalo would knock it out of the park.  It’s an event for football die-hards.  The NFL spends so much capital courting new markets and casual fans by hosting the Super Bowl exclusively in glamour towns and having international games that they owe it to their base to let the middle market, middle class, middle aged fans have this one.

Edited by Billl
  • Agree 2

1 minute ago, Billl said:

It could be cool, but I’m just not sure how a stadium lends itself to that sort of event.  It’s a casual atmosphere.  Either way, Buffalo would knock it out of the park.  It’s an event for football die-yards.  The NFL spends so much capital courting new markets and casual fans by hosting the Super Bowl exclusively in glamour towns and having international games that they owe it to their base to let the middle market, middle class, middle aged fans have this one.

That's the problem with the NFL marketing and decision makers.

All they see is dollars in the big venues but they don't realize how much people will spend in the small ones.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, The Wiz said:

That's the problem with the NFL marketing and decision makers.

All they see is dollars in the big venues but they don't realize how much people will spend in the small ones.

In the last decade, the league has been moving it to smaller cities.  Remember, it was in NYC forever.  It’s actually become more popular as they’ve moved it to the smaller markets.  Cities like Miami could give two ***** about the draft.  Kansas City used it as a showcase event, and it was awesome.  Buffalo would do the same and try to top what KC did.  Bills fans deserve their opportunity.

• Like (+1) 1

On 6/2/2023 at 4:16 PM, Draconator said:

Or the Bills tweet for Pride month. Some disturbing people on Twitter. Yet some good ones as well.

Haha don't look at the Politics page on this site then. 

Although it's a very small number of homophobic people that have overrun that section, it's pretty disturbing as well. 

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

1 hour ago, mrags said:

Yeah I got a huge kick out of the governor quoting “where else would you rather be than right here right now” incorrectly. Which on its own is not that big a deal, except right before she said it she just finished talking about what a die hard Bills fan she is. 

You can’t be a diehard Bills fan if you don’t remember a quote from the most overrated NFL coach (and the worst GM) in the history of the game?  

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Gugny said:

You can’t be a diehard Bills fan if you don’t remember a quote from the most overrated NFL coach (and the worst GM) in the history of the game?  

I agree to an extent but man a little harsh. I think he’s overrated. I Actually don’t believe he deserves to be in the HOF. But MOST overrated? That’s prolly pushing it. 

2 hours ago, mrags said:

It’s called nerves, and yes, even those who do a lot of public speaking get them.  Give her a break — she did a heluva lot to make sure the Bills stay here.

• Agree 1

9 minutes ago, eball said:

It’s called nerves, and yes, even those who do a lot of public speaking get them.  Give her a break — she did a heluva lot to make sure the Bills stay here.

So you’re telling me that the governor, possibly the most powerful woman in the state of New York. Probably the most influential state in the entire country. A woman that probably speaks at events like these on average more than 1 every day. A woman in the  political national spotlight almost all the time. Gets nervous at an event as easy and non-stressful as this one? And you believe that?

Sure thing. Whatever you gotta tell yourself. 

• Eyeroll 2

10 hours ago, mrags said:

So you’re telling me that the governor, possibly the most powerful woman in the state of New York. Probably the most influential state in the entire country. A woman that probably speaks at events like these on average more than 1 every day. A woman in the  political national spotlight almost all the time. Gets nervous at an event as easy and non-stressful as this one? And you believe that?

Sure thing. Whatever you gotta tell yourself. 

Yes.  That’s exactly what I’m telling you.  I’m sorry you don’t understand it.  It’s actually extremely common.

Donning my pop psychologist hat, I think your own dislike of Hochul is coloring your comments.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

12 hours ago, eball said:

I don’t think it was nerves. It’s just that she has more important things to do than sit around rehearsing old football quotes. I don’t even think she’s as big as a fan as she claims to be, but does understand the meaning of the Bills to WNY. She showed up for the FaceTime (groundbreaking is just a performance) like she’s scheduled to do, then probably went on to deal with more important things. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, eball said:

Yes.  That’s exactly what I’m telling you.  I’m sorry you don’t understand it.  It’s actually extremely common.

Donning my pop psychologist hat, I think your own dislike of Hochul is coloring your comments.

No, I don’t like Hochul. Didn’t like Cuomo before her either. But that doesn’t mean I have to believe that a career politician gets nervous at a ceremony like this. Not after public speaking her entire life. I just call it like I see it.

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Plano said:

is anyone in here doing any of the work on the stadium? via GC or sub'?

I have a friend who’s wife works for Turner and another friend that works for Nyseg. Both are and will be in the project. 

On 6/3/2023 at 1:02 AM, I am leaving for good said:

First as Buffalo Bills fan the tiny new Bills stadium scoreboard sucks big time for $1.5 billion dollars stadium we get a minor league scoreboard why? Is that something Bills Mafia is also excited about? Does the Bills Mafia has no standards or any Buffalo pride to not call PSE out on stuff like that? The potential Bills Mafia nonsense like that staying quiet in meetings with Bills marketing people are potentially going to run the Buffalo Bills team out of town someday? For not calling out the Buffalo Bills on stuff like that because Bills Mafia think it’s going to save the Bills long term going all cheap in every way like the Buffalo Bills organization wants just telling them what they want to hear type of thing? And it is actually going to do the opposite when Buffalo Bills fans feel ripped off and tire of the lack of amenities yet paying sky high prices at the new Bills stadium. The tiny scoreboard is ridiculous in my opinion. Go Bills! Let’s Go Buffalo 

found something new to gripe about huh? This time it’s the scoreboard? 

guess that screen name change was just an idle threat and not a promise. Disappointing.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.