New stadium official groundbreaking - Monday morning (6/5/2023)

Draconator

43 minutes ago, AlCowlingsTaxiService said:

Groundbreaking:  a gaggle of local and state politicians tripping over themselves to take some credit for something they realistically hand very little if anything to do with because it will garner breathless wall to wall media coverage 😂

Closer than you know: They’re used to be a cartoon that showed the various stages of a construction project. This particular stage, along with the final ribbon cutting, was titled “The Congratulations for the Non Participants” and we’d all say ‘who the heck is that?’ when the long line of these guys/gals would step up to the podium and proclaim to the crowd how they were so essential to the process. 😂

• Haha (+1) 2

13 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

Breaking ground…again!!

At least they're out of the Breaking Wind phase.  

I'd like to know when more detailed "renderings" are coming.  Every other NFL stadium that's gone up has posted far greater details at this, and past, stages of progress.  

Edited by PBF81
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, PBF81 said:

I'd like to know when more detailed "renderings" are coming.  Every other NFL stadium that's gone up has posted far greater details at this, and past, stages of progress.  

Its a fluid situation, in other words they are making them up as they go along. They don't want to show the special surprise dome

Edited by Mike in Horseheads
  • Haha (+1) 2

6 hours ago, BUFFALOBART said:

People should never forget this.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

6 hours ago, BUFFALOBART said:

I really don't know that Bon Jovi and Rogers would have moved the team.

I suppose he could have, but even years after (when there was no benefit for him to continue lying) he continuously said the plan was to keep the team in Buffalo and he was planning on buying a house here, etc.

Perhaps he is just a pathological liar who continues to lie when there is nothing left for him to gain, but evidence points toward the "Bon Jovi will move the team" rumors to be an orchestrated public relations campaign by another bidder.

There was a report that one of the other bidders hired Michael Caputo, a Buffalo public relations consultant, and told him to start the rumor that Bon Jovi would move the team. Caputo was apparently the one who started the initial email list of over 15,000 names to push back on Bon Jovi.

• Disagree 1
  • Dislike 1

Bon Jovi was moving the team.  He was in with mlse (Maple Leafs sports and entertainment) and Tim lieweke,  whose career is essentially relocating teams.

Bon Jovi at the time said he didn't want to move the team in order to minimize pushback.  He claims that now to continue to be the good guy everybody likes and not admit to a lie.

People like us, who were paying attention were onto bon Jovi the second his name was thrown into the ring (which was even before wilson passed away).  We didn't need any phony pr campaign (the fliers and all that came way later).

https://nationalpost.com/sports/football/nfl/wheels-quietly-in-motion-to-move-buffalo-bills-to-toronto

There is just no way mlse, rogers, and Tannenbaum would put up a billion dollars and keep the team in a city like 10% the size of their home city an hour away.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, May Day 10 said:

Bon Jovi was moving the team.  He was in with mlse (Maple Leafs sports and entertainment) and Tim lieweke,  whose career is essentially relocating teams.

Bon Jovi at the time said he didn't want to move the team in order to minimize pushback.  He claims that now to continue to be the good guy everybody likes and not admit to a lie.

People like us, who were paying attention were onto bon Jovi the second his name was thrown into the ring (which was even before wilson passed away).  We didn't need any phony pr campaign (the fliers and all that came way later).

https://nationalpost.com/sports/football/nfl/wheels-quietly-in-motion-to-move-buffalo-bills-to-toronto

There is just no way mlse, rogers, and Tannenbaum would put up a billion dollars and keep the team in a city like 10% the size of their home city an hour away.  

Absolutely accept people forget Ralph specifically had a clause that wouldn’t allow a potential owner to even discuss relocation

Whoever was awarded the bills with the purchase would not have been able to move them easily if at all

There was the one time chance they could break the lease for a lot of money… But they still weren’t allowed to discuss relocation per Ralph’s clause 

Edited by Buffalo716

On 6/2/2023 at 3:43 PM, Gregg said:

Have to think with the new stadium on the way and the Sabres looking like they are going to be a very good team starting next year that another outdoor winter classic game will be coming to OP soon.

You can bet on it.  The NHL loves Buffalo and showcasing a new stadium in that manner will be great for the crowd and TV as well.

9 minutes ago, May Day 10 said:

Bon Jovi was moving the team. 

That article literally shared 0 proof. Not a single quote, insider tip, nothing. 

It was even published while Ralph was ALIVE!

You also completely ignore the no-move clause in the Bills lease that ran another half decade after Ralph died.

• Agree 2

51 minutes ago, Einstein said:

That article literally shared 0 proof. Not a single quote, insider tip, nothing. 

It was even published while Ralph was ALIVE!

You also completely ignore the no-move clause in the Bills lease that ran another half decade after Ralph died.

I don't ignore it.  

It's the fact that bon jovi's group was in every way a Toronto group with or without Caputo hanging a few fliers and getting some local businesses to publicy refuse to play bon jovi songs.  The article shows that bon jovi was considered a Toronto bidder/entity long in advance and it was not an invention by trump/Caputo in order to turn buffalo against him, somehow making his bid lower.

In terms of the bills remaining in buffalo, Ralph Wilson passed away at essentially the perfect time.  Just got the new lease and the paint wasn't even dry on the renovations.  A few years earlier or later could have been a different story.  The Toronto group (or any out of town group) needed to bake purchase price + relocation fee + new stadium/land + either another $800 million or 5-6 lame duck seasons in Buffalo.  I do wonder if the nfl would have waived the relo fee to move the bills to Toronto though

Edited by May Day 10
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

11 hours ago, BUFFALOBART said:

the real reason BonJovi's bid failed to compete was because of Bon Jovi unwilling to give up controlling interest. NFL rules require controlling partner to have a certain % of the money in the bid. Bon Jovi was only worth about 450 to 500 million so his group was limited in how much they could bid in order to keep Bon Jovi as controlling partner. So Pegula outbid them easily.

The other partners were Billionaires. They could have possibly outbid Pegula who was not completely enamored with owning an NFL team and only got into it late. And also due to Kim's WNY connections/desire.

7 hours ago, PBF81 said:

Because the Bills are a rinky dink operation compared to real nfl franchises. 

• Eyeroll 1

Just now, mrags said:

Because the Bills are a rinky dink operation compared to real nfl franchises. 

Perhaps, in some respects.  I will say, we're quickly becoming America's team however, I suspect that lasts while Allen is here, but not so much after that.  

It's interesting, because I don't see how our fanbase can support the projected forthcoming ticket prices.  But someone here explained that ticket sales are now more national and less regional, with companies specializing in putting together packages (tix, travel, hotel, etc.) that cater to the wealthier cross-section of sports fandom.  

IDK, maybe it was you, I wish I could remember.  But that makes sense.  If true, in that sense the rinky dink only applies to some things.  

Not sure whether that has to do with The Stadium.  LOL  But rinky-dink or not, they either know what they're building in detail or they don't.  I don't understand the lack of detailed visuals other than showing a bar from within the bar for example.  

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.