Is there anything considered very Buffalo you don’t embrace?

Another Fan

5 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

That’s been the old wives tale but idk 

Seeing as most Buffalo pizzerias use straight up tapwater… which is nothing special 

What I think does make a difference… is the flour to water ratio in the dough and the humidity level 

pizza dough seems to proof better in certain conditions better than other …

You can take your recipe in New York and make the pizza… Bring it down to the driest town in Arizona …. And I don’t think it will proof the same

or it could just be my homer taste buds 🙂  But not all tap water is the same trust me. Even WNY tap water tastes better to me than out of the tap Cali water. People here go out of their way not to drink it.  There are likely other reasons for the taste also Im not privey to that.

Just now, muppy said:

or it could just be my homer taste buds 🙂  But not all tap water is the same trust me. Even WNY tap water tastes better to me than out of the tap Cali water. People here go out of their way not to drink it.  There are likely other reasons for the taste also Im not privey to that.

Absolutely… I’m sure the East Coast does have better tap

But I’ve seen what humidity can to dough so I know that’s also a factor

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Add Bar-Bill

I thought Koch's was out of Dunkirk, NY. Koch's definitely NOT Rochester. Especially back in the day! Maybe it is now. 

Because it's all in the gravy.

Have you never been to South Bend?

Well that's the point, the beef on week was invented to be given away gratis in order to sell more beer from the bar.

Yeah, Bar-Bill.  Heard a ton about it then meh.

Maybe it's a different Koch's?  https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/302/4942/

I was introduced to 'weck when I was 7 or 8, so that was long before getting something "suitable" to wash it down.  Maybe that colored my impression, trying to wash it down with a water (my parents would rarely allow us to drink "pop")?  HAHA.

I prefer light salt and massive spice, so the latter definitely goes with a nice Buffalo horsey sauce, sriracha, Marie Sharp's etc.

2 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

Sprya Gyra is the real contribution from Buffalo for us old timers!

tons of bad pizza everywhere, i am just saying when people say"damn, i miss Buffalo pizza" i think damn, you miss awfulness😜

Gamalon had a moment (or series of moments) too.

2 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

While I’ve had terrible pizza in New York City I’ve had great pizza… same with Detroit and most places 

but I’ve also had Great pizza in Buffalo… Like, Technically speaking Buffalo is the pizza capital of America…. There are more pizzerias here per capita than anywhere else in America

Buffaloes a lot more than Lenova or bocce club… There are a lot of really good small mom and pop pizzerias

You can get Neopolitan and brick oven in Buffalo… you can get specialties … You can get thick crust medium crust thin crust

The variety in the buffalo pizza game is big

I'm still such a fan of Bocce's, but...

Having grown up in NT, Pizza Junction was a family go-to.  I guess that it's long gone and that some of the folks started Good Guys or something like that?

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, TheCockSportif said:

Maybe it's a different Koch's?  https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/302/4942/

I was introduced to 'weck when I was 7 or 8, so that was long before getting something "suitable" to wash it down.  Maybe that colored my impression, trying to wash it down with a water (my parents would rarely allow us to drink "pop")?  HAHA.

I prefer light salt and massive spice, so the latter definitely goes with a nice Buffalo horsey sauce, sriracha, Marie Sharp's etc.

Having grown up in NT, Pizza Junction was a family go-to.  I guess that it's long gone and that some of the folks started Good Guys or something like that?

Definitely heard of pizza junction but I’m not up in NT often so I don’t know what became of it or it’s recipes 

49 minutes ago, TheCockSportif said:

Genesee bought Koch's out in 1990s.

53 minutes ago, TheCockSportif said:

Say Cheese! On Grand Island is decent...

http://www.saycheesepizza.com/menu.html

1 hour ago, Buffalo716 said:

Definitely heard of pizza junction but I’m not up in NT often so I don’t know what became of it or it’s recipes 

If memory serves they appeared on a Guy Fieri show on Food Network and went out of business at some point thereafter.  Great pizza, though.  And then I believe that led to this: https://goodguyspizzeria.com/

Could be wrong tho.

On 6/5/2023 at 8:15 AM, Wacka said:

Helluva Good is from WNY. It's made in Cuba, NY, just NE of Olean and where Cayuga Greek originates.

Aren't they from the Sodus Bay region?

I could've sworn they were from around that part.  (That said, I moved away a long time ago.)

51 minutes ago, Bad Things said:

Aren't they from the Sodus Bay region?

I could've sworn they were from around that part.  (That said, I moved away a long time ago.)

I thought same here.  Sodus... IIRC now... Has Massachusetts on the container now. 

Maybe @Wacka is getting it confused with another brand?

Bison and Upstate Cooperative:

https://buffalonews.com/business/local/made-in-wny-why-buffalos-expats-cant-find-bison-french-onion-dip-on-shelves/article_37e0f118-2ec5-11ed-a504-4770fd12e718.html

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heluva_Good!

"Heluva Good! is an American company specializing in cheeses, chip dips, sour cream and condiments. It has been a subsidiary of dairy company HP Hood LLC since the acquisition of Crowley Foods in 2004. The primary offices for the company are in Lynnfield, Massachusetts.  Heluva Good! products are sold in grocery stores throughout much of the United States and Canada. A Heluva Good! Country Store was located in Wallington, New York, just east of the village of Sodus which first opened in 1980.  All cheese products were packaged at a plant in Sodus, New York.  Both locations closed on June 26, 2015."

27 minutes ago, Bad Things said:

Apart from being made in Buffalo... what makes a pizza a "Buffalo style pizza"?

As I’ve explained a few times … and Buffalo foodies and cuisine experts would agree 

the “house” buffalo pizza would be considered a medium to thicker crust with a sweet style sauce and cup and char pepperoni… with generous amounts of cheese and toppings to the edges 

There are slight exceptions like I believe bocces is more traditional and not as sweet sauce … but the other parts (cup and char… medium to thick and generous cheese and toppings to edge ) are consistent 

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Wacka said:

Bison is made in West Seneca. My nephew  works on the line.

You're right! Outside Cuba, NY in Arkport, NY... HeluvaGood:

"On April 19, 2015, HP Hood confirmed that both the cheese packaging plant in Sodus and the Heluva Good! Country Store in Wallington would be closing on June 26, 2015. Warehouse and delivery operations would continue through the end of July. Heluva Good! cheese products are currently manufactured by Schreiber Foods, Inc. of Green Bay, Wisconsin. Packaging operations would be moved there. Heluva Good! chip dips and condiments will still be manufactured and packaged at a facility in Arkport, New York which is owned and operated by HP Hood.[5] Some New York State consumers have already complained about the change as a result of Heluva Good! cheese products no longer being produced locally, citing corporate greed.[13] According to the Wayne County Economic Development Department, HP Hood stated that market conditions were the primary reason for the closure."

12 minutes ago, Bad Things said:

Apart from being made in Buffalo... what makes a pizza a "Buffalo style pizza"?

Cupped pepperoni. 

3 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

As I’ve explained a few times … and Buffalo foodies and cuisine experts would agree 

the “house” buffalo pizza would be considered a medium to thicker crust with a sweet style sauce and cup and char pepperoni… with generous amounts of cheese and toppings to the edges 

But some aren't sweet. I hate the sweet. Not a fan of Bocce's

Doughy bread I think is the main think. They don't get fancy with it.

7 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

You're right! Outside Cuba, NY in Arkport, NY... HeluvaGood:

"On April 19, 2015, HP Hood confirmed that both the cheese packaging plant in Sodus and the Heluva Good! Country Store in Wallington would be closing on June 26, 2015. Warehouse and delivery operations would continue through the end of July. Heluva Good! cheese products are currently manufactured by Schreiber Foods, Inc. of Green Bay, Wisconsin. Packaging operations would be moved there. Heluva Good! chip dips and condiments will still be manufactured and packaged at a facility in Arkport, New York which is owned and operated by HP Hood.[5] Some New York State consumers have already complained about the change as a result of Heluva Good! cheese products no longer being produced locally, citing corporate greed.[13] According to the Wayne County Economic Development Department, HP Hood stated that market conditions were the primary reason for the closure."

Cupped pepperoni. 

But some aren't sweet. I hate the sweet. Not a fan of Bocce's

Doughy bread I think is the main think. They don't get fancy with it.

I believe bocces is known for a thick traditional sauce actually , I haven’t been in years

But out of the majority 600 mom and pop pizzerias in the city.. The majority are sweet sauces as the house 

And then make a traditional sauce for people who don’t like it

There’s not a lot of pizzerias in the city that I know of that use a traditional sauce as the house sauce… a few but not majority 

Edited by Buffalo716

12 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

I believe bocces is known for a thick traditional sauce actually , I haven’t been in years

But out of the majority 600 mom and pop pizzerias in the city.. The majority are sweet sauces as the house 

And then make a traditional sauce for people who don’t like it

There’s not a lot of pizzerias in the city that I know of that use a traditional sauce as the house sauce… a few but not majority 

My Italian MiL adds sugar to her sauce. I am not crazy for it but pretend to love it. Wife taught me how to pull that off! She actually dislikes it more than me... lol...

• Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

There are slight exceptions like I believe bocces is more traditional and not as sweet sauce … but the other parts (cup and char… medium to thick and generous cheese and toppings to edge ) are consistent 

This is a good explanation. Based on the recipes I've seen, its a lower hydration dough than a sicilian style and the crust has a smaller crumb structure but similar in thickness.  Shallow pans so you dont get the totally deep fried crust effect of a good square pie and like you said theres no real cornicione. Toppings all the way to the edge.  

https://www.pmq.com/buffalo-style-pizza/#:~:text=But Buffalo has made another,that Buffalo residents swear by

If anyone is missing Buffalo style pizza and wants to make their own, this is a great resource.  Some former Bocce's employees and current Buffalo area pizzaiolos lend their insights.

https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=30764.0

Edited by Jauronimo
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.