Is there anything considered very Buffalo you don’t embrace?

Another Fan

21 minutes ago, That's No Moon said:

So my opinion is not valid because you disagree. I'm saying it just to say it, not because I feel that way. Got it.

Let me repeat. I've never had a Genesee product I've enjoyed in my life. Not one. Not in cans, not in bottles, not on draft, not regular Genny, not the Cream Ale, not Genny Light, not any of the things that are supposed to be more small batch, not when all I drank was cheap beer and not now when all I drink is expensive beer. In my opinion, Genesee beer sucks. Feel free to drink it yourself, plenty of people do.

lol!  we're you crying when you typed this?   i made the comment because so many people just parrot it out without actually trying the product.  i hadn't had one in years, thought it was solid and wondered what the problem was.  

5 minutes ago, T&C said:

Calm down, you're going to be just fine.

i'm not sure he is.

6 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

Actually, Red Baron is prolly better than the dreck that comes out of LaNova or Bocce

Thats what makes it awful and heavy ...New Haven #1, New York #2, Bar Pie#3, Neopolitan#4, Detriot #5(the dough much lighter and airier than Buffalo).. that's it, that's the end of acceptable pizza styles...Buffalo does not make the list

I’ve had tons of terrible pizza in New York city

And Detroit

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, gomper said:

The Goo Goo Dolls. Beyond overrated. 

I prefer to think of Rick James as our contribution to the world of music.

Sprya Gyra is the real contribution from Buffalo for us old timers!

1 minute ago, Buffalo716 said:

I’ve had tons of terrible pizza in New York city

And Detroit

tons of bad pizza everywhere, i am just saying when people say"damn, i miss Buffalo pizza" i think damn, you miss awfulness😜

• Like (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, That's No Moon said:

Let me repeat. I've never had a Genesee product I've enjoyed in my life. Not one. Not in cans, not in bottles, not on draft, not regular Genny, not the Cream Ale, not Genny Light, not any of the things that are supposed to be more small batch, not when all I drank was cheap beer and not now when all I drink is expensive beer. In my opinion, Genesee beer sucks. Feel free to drink it yourself, plenty of people do.

Would you drink one in a boat?  Would you drink one with a goat?

image.thumb.png.c2d4bf67602f6094fd9e38a74328b5fc.png

4 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

Sprya Gyra is the real contribution from Buffalo for us old timers!

tons of bad pizza everywhere, i am just saying when people say"damn, i miss Buffalo pizza" i think damn, you miss awfulness😜

While I’ve had terrible pizza in New York City I’ve had great pizza… same with Detroit and most places 

but I’ve also had Great pizza in Buffalo… Like, Technically speaking Buffalo is the pizza capital of America…. There are more pizzerias here per capita than anywhere else in America

Buffaloes a lot more than Lenova or bocce club… There are a lot of really good small mom and pop pizzerias

You can get Neopolitan and brick oven in Buffalo… you can get specialties … You can get thick crust medium crust thin crust

The variety in the buffalo pizza game is big

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, teef said:

i had a cream ale at a hockey game recently. same with genny light.  it's not bad all.  at this point i think people say it just because.   on top of that, it's really more of a rochester thing.

Light is okay but Cream Ale, ick no thank you.

1 hour ago, Buffalo716 said:

While I’ve had terrible pizza in New York City I’ve had great pizza… same with Detroit and most places 

but I’ve also had Great pizza in Buffalo… Like, Technically speaking Buffalo is the pizza capital of America…. There are more pizzerias here per capita than anywhere else in America

Buffaloes a lot more than Lenova or bocce club… There are a lot of really good small mom and pop pizzerias

You can get Neopolitan and brick oven in Buffalo… you can get specialties … You can get thick crust medium crust thin crust

Franco's, Imperial, Bocce Club, Picasso's and La Nova my current ranking. Yet I will say I'm not into the cup and char pepperoni instead give me mushroom, black olives and Italian sausage.

Edited by The Jokeman

7 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

Light is okay but Creme Ale, ick no thank you.

Franco's, Imperial, Bocce Club, Picasso's and La Nova my current ranking. Yet I will say I'm not into the char pepperoni instead give me mushroom, black olives and Italian sausage.

All 5 are staples.. Some of the biggest names in Buffalo And make good pie 

But it’s the hundreds of small mom and pop shops which really keep the pizzeria game afloat in Buffalo

you can have 3-4 pizzerias within a few blocks … competition is fierce 

Edited by Buffalo716

Just now, Buffalo716 said:

All 5 are staples.. Some of the biggest names in Buffalo And make good pie 

But it’s the hundreds of small mom and pop shops which really keep the pizzeria game afloat in Buffalo

True hell I remember when there was just one Franco's and Bocce as grew up in Kenmore. I also like Bob and John's on Hertel growing up but had them recently and was missing something. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

Light is okay but Cream Ale, ick no thank you.

trust me...i was completely with you.  i had once of those moments where someone asked if i wanted a beer and of course that's what they came back with.  i wasn't not going to drink it, but it was solid.  i had it in my head it was the worst beer on the market, and it really wasn't.  the name alone is enough to stay away though.

1 minute ago, The Jokeman said:

True hell I remember when there was just one Franco's and Bocce as grew up in Kenmore. I also like Bob and John's on Hertel growing up but had them recently and was missing something. 

Haven’t been to Bob and Johns in a while …

my new jam is Rocco’s wood fired pizza in Williamsville 

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Absolutely some great pizza in Buffalo, but i am talking about "Buffalo Style" like LaNova.

Heard these folks are doing great NY Style ...always stay over that way for Bills game, look forward to trying them home opener weekend

https://www.extraextrapizza.com/

34 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

Absolutely some great pizza in Buffalo, but i am talking about "Buffalo Style" like LaNova.

Heard these folks are doing great NY Style ...always stay over that way for Bills game, look forward to trying them home opener weekend

https://www.extraextrapizza.com/

Unless You’re getting a Neapolitan or woodfired pizza or deep dish

Technically every pizzeria in Buffalo serves buffalo style

Cup and char + sweet sauce + cheese to edge = buffalo … 

and that is 95% of the 600 pizzerias lol

a sweet house sauce + cup and char + cheese piled to the edge is buffalo pizza … whether thicker or medium crust 

image.jpeg.5d125b57cd30ec27d60bec7403f5ceb6.jpeg

I would classify this pizza from extra extra pizza as buffalo style

Not thin crust… Cup and char… And cheese and toppings piled to the edge

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Re: Genessee Beer:  'Genny' was my father's beer of choice when I was a mere pratt of a lad, so over the years I would very occasionally buy a case of pounders just for the hell of it.  Also bemused the Canada customs staff when I would declare a case coming home to Canada.  I did notice that Genessee was probably the worst beer I ever drank that promoted 'cotton mouth'.  Finish a Genny, 15 minutes later your mouth is like the middle of the Mojave Desert.  The only solution was either water, or more Genny pounders.

• Haha (+1) 1

regarding the pizza debate. I contend that dough consisting of flour,salt,  yeast and water is so basic that it should taste the same in WNY as it does in California

I beg to differ. I have said this many times in the past. IMO what makes WNY pizza superior is the water used in the dough.

When I come home the pizza I eat (traditional BFLO style ) from "Pontillos" aka Batavias Best Pizza the crust just tastes Better.

It's my story and I'm sticking to it. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, muppy said:

regarding the pizza debate. I contend that dough consisting of flour,salt,  yeast and water is so basic that it should taste the same in WNY as it does in California

I beg to differ. I have said this many times in the past. IMO what makes WNY pizza superior is the water used in the dough.

When I come home the pizza I eat (traditional BFLO style ) from "Pontillos" aka Batavias Best Pizza the crust just tastes Better.

I didn't know you were from Batavia Muppy...were you still living in the area when Planes, Trains, and Automobiles was filmed?  I forget which pizzeria it was but one night the owner invited John Candy in after hours(and apparently a lot of beers from the story I was told lol) and he was back in the kitchen whipping up his own pizzas.  One of those WNY Urban Legends but I have been in there once and they do have photo evidence hanging on the walls! 

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, BillsPride12 said:

I didn't know you were from Batavia Muppy...were you still living in the area when Planes, Trains, and Automobiles was filmed?  I forget which pizzeria it was but one night the owner invited John Candy in after hours(and apparently a lot of beers from the story I was told lol) and he was back in the kitchen whipping up his own pizzas.  One of those WNY Urban Legends but I have been in there once and they do have photo evidence hanging on the walls! 

No. I left the area in 1978.

haha I hadn't heard that one. I went to high school with Lizzie Pontillo and knew her parents and siblings dating back to early 70's. I thought their pizza was superb!

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, muppy said:

That’s been the old wives tale but idk 

Seeing as most Buffalo pizzerias use straight up tapwater… which is nothing special 

What I think does make a difference… is the flour to water ratio in the dough and the humidity level 

pizza dough seems to proof better in certain conditions better than other …

You can take your recipe in New York and make the pizza… Bring it down to the driest town in Arizona …. And I don’t think it will proof the same

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.