Is there anything considered very Buffalo you don’t embrace?

Another Fan

12 hours ago, Gugny said:

Enjoy that Red Baron!

Actually, Red Baron is prolly better than the dreck that comes out of LaNova or Bocce

12 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

It's basic and unpretentious.  That's what makes it good besides being doughy, bready...

Thats what makes it awful and heavy ...New Haven #1, New York #2, Bar Pie#3, Neopolitan#4, Detriot #5(the dough much lighter and airier than Buffalo).. that's it, that's the end of acceptable pizza styles...Buffalo does not make the list

Just now, plenzmd1 said:

Actually, Red Baron is prolly better than the dreck that comes out of LaNova or Bocce

Thats what makes it awful and heavy ...New Haven #1, New York #2, Bar Pie#3, Neopolitan#4, Detriot #5(the dough much lighter and airier than Buffalo).. that's it, that's the end of acceptable pizza styles...Buffalo does not make the list

I have yet to try New Haven pizza, but I’ve heard nothing but amazing things about it. 

• Like (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

I will take a good western New York pizza over any of those choices. Though I think Chicago deep dish is truly disgusting. Soup in a bread bowl, no thank you.

edit: The best pizza I’ve ever had was in north Boston. This little hole in the wall pizza shop that I can’t remember the name of at this time. You have to get there early before they sell out, which is around 3pm, because once it’s gone it closes until the next day. I’ll try to look up the name of the place if anyone is interested.

Edited by Westside
Best pizza I’ve found
  • Like (+1) 1

I don't think anything beats a proper New York style, although I find it doesn't fill me up.

I do like Buffalo style pizza though.  If it is messed up though, it is really bad.  I think you can get away with screwing up a NY style to some degree.

I lived in New Haven for awhile and that stuff didnt impress.

Never tried Detroit.  Going there this fall, Ill make sure I give it a shot.  

I did like Chicago style, but I consider that more of a lasagna than a pizza

Edited by May Day 10
  • Like (+1) 1

On 6/3/2023 at 3:16 PM, That's No Moon said:

Genny Cream Ale.  Genny anything TBH.

I agree re: Mighty Taco.  It's better than Taco Bell, but not much. At least it was the last time I ate it 30 years ago.

i had a cream ale at a hockey game recently. same with genny light.  it's not bad all.  at this point i think people say it just because.   on top of that, it's really more of a rochester thing.

Edited by teef
  • Like (+1) 1

20 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

Buffalo Style Pizza like LaNova sucks...proly the worst style of pizza there is

I agree - wayyyyyyy - too much cheese.

I tend to believe they are too much into their own popularity.  The crust is doughy and wet.  The sauce makes the crust soggy.  

• Like (+1) 1

Duff's.  I don't like 'em.

Koch's Golden Anniversary Beer.  (Guess it's a Rochester thing, but allegedly my grandparents bought them on the cheap by way of coupons back in the day).

'weck rolls.

Dyngus Day.  I actually love the aim of this, but outside of Buffalo you tell people about it, and they look at you like you have two or more heads.

i'm going to defend the beef on weck.  i think people are expecting too much from them.  it's a simple sandwich like a grilled cheese or a turkey sammy.  just solid eats that you know what you're getting.  had one yesterday.  solid.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, teef said:

i'm going to defend the beef on weck.  i think people are expecting too much from them.  it's a simple sandwich like a grilled cheese or a turkey sammy.  just solid eats that you know what you're getting.  had one yesterday.  solid.

Love the beef, hate the roll.  I swear that you could bait deer with it.

• Haha (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, gomper said:

The Goo Goo Dolls. Beyond overrated. 

I prefer to think of Rick James as our contribution to the world of music.

When I went to the Buffalo history museum I was disappointed there was no mention of Slick Rick 

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, Another Fan said:

When I went to the Buffalo history museum I was disappointed there was no mention of Slick Rick 

I tried to talk my wife into having Rick's lyrics as part of our wedding vows in 2008.

She's a very kinky girl

the type that you don't bring home to mother

She will never let your spirits down

once you get her off the streets

Sounded funner in my head.  Oops!

• Haha (+1) 3

29 minutes ago, TheCockSportif said:

That makes sense.  I’m a guy who loves salt, but usually avoids it.  The beef on weck is the perfect vehicle for that. 

26 minutes ago, TheCockSportif said:

I tried to talk my wife into having Rick's lyrics as part of our wedding vows in 2008.

Sounded funner in my head.  Oops!

Go see his grave in Forest Lawn. Not ornate, but have to say 'Cocaine is a helluva drug!" at it. I did.

Edited by Wacka
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, TheCockSportif said:

Duff's.  I don't like 'em.

Koch's Golden Anniversary Beer.  (Guess it's a Rochester thing, but allegedly my grandparents bought them on the cheap by way of coupons back in the day).

'weck rolls.

Dyngus Day.  I actually love the aim of this, but outside of Buffalo you tell people about it, and they look at you like you have two or more heads.

Add Bar-Bill

I thought Koch's was out of Dunkirk, NY. Koch's definitely NOT Rochester. Especially back in the day! Maybe it is now. 

Because it's all in the gravy.

Have you never been to South Bend?

1 hour ago, TheCockSportif said:

Well that's the point, the beef on week was invented to be given away gratis in order to sell more beer from the bar.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, teef said:

i had a cream ale at a hockey game recently. same with genny light.  it's not bad all.  at this point i think people say it just because.   on top of that, it's really more of a rochester thing.

So my opinion is not valid because you disagree. I'm saying it just to say it, not because I feel that way. Got it.

Let me repeat. I've never had a Genesee product I've enjoyed in my life. Not one. Not in cans, not in bottles, not on draft, not regular Genny, not the Cream Ale, not Genny Light, not any of the things that are supposed to be more small batch, not when all I drank was cheap beer and not now when all I drink is expensive beer. In my opinion, Genesee beer sucks. Feel free to drink it yourself, plenty of people do.

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

18 minutes ago, That's No Moon said:

So my opinion is not valid because you disagree. I'm saying it just to say it, not because I feel that way. Got it.

Let me repeat. I've never had a Genesee product I've enjoyed in my life. Not one. Not in cans, not in bottles, not on draft, not regular Genny, not the Cream Ale, not Genny Light, not any of the things that are supposed to be more small batch, not when all I drank was cheap beer and not now when all I drink is expensive beer. In my opinion, Genesee beer sucks. Feel free to drink it yourself, plenty of people do.

Calm down, you're going to be just fine.

• Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.