D-line coach Eric Washington’s comments on Ed Oliver — hoo boy

dave mcbride

2 hours ago, PBF81 said:

Josh is like a grand-slam.  Not sure how you would define "knocked out of the park," but White I'd put there.  Gilmore maybe?  

And ultimately of the GM if we want to be fully honest.  

Yes, forgot White. Very good pick for the bottom of the 1st at a highly paid position. Still,, I think the Bills for the past 20 years have had too many midling players chosen in the first and not enough difference makers. Lots of regimes to blame for that.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, HurlyBurly51 said:

That's some honest feedback from the boss.  If it were a performance review it reads like a "needs improvement."  If I got that at work I'd be sweating bullets.  Can't say he wasn't warned.

Precursor to a 3-month PIP (performance improvement plan) for the corporate crowd.

• Haha (+1) 2

16 hours ago, Tom Donahoe, GM said:

Obviously Ed needs to continue improving and that is what he's saying Ed needs to improve.

No hoo boy's needed IMO

My goodness.

A coach could grab a megaphone and scream into a homers ear “the player sucks”, and some of you will find a way to make it sound good.

• Haha (+1) 3

Marcel Dareus v.2

Talented DT taken high in the draft.  Inconsistent performance, no better overall than the JAGs available off the street.

And the attitude that he's deserving of a huge paycheck. Nah.  Dareus got his money and still didn't come through.  Not only that, but Dareus contributed to the team morale-killing laziness that defined the Bills for more than a decade.  The Bills don't have Kyle Williams and Lorax anymore to take this guy out back and tell him the news.  Who's the leader on D now?  Milano is outstanding on the field but seems quiet by nature.  Dr Poyer and Mr Hyde?  I'm not sure Poyer's deeply committed after not getting the big paycheck he was expecting.  Von Miller?  Could be but until he gets on the field again, I'm not sure the youngsters are giving him his due.

The Bills absolutely can't afford to let the cancer back into the building.  If it takes an Oliverectomy to get the team back to having its head on straight, do what needs to be done.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, GreggTX said:

My concern is that he might play much better for a fat contract, then hit the snooze button once he gets paid. Will he be the next Darius?

I think he already IS the next Dareus.  Ship him out ASAP before the rookies get the idea that his lazy, unproductive performance is acceptable.

2 hours ago, Nephilim17 said:

Yes, forgot White. Very good pick for the bottom of the 1st at a highly paid position. Still,, I think the Bills for the past 20 years have had too many midling players chosen in the first and not enough difference makers. Lots of regimes to blame for that.

Agreed, but also not sure why Beane gets a pass while Allen carries his water.

As I always say, imagine if some of our former teams had had Allen.  

52 minutes ago, Einstein said:

My goodness.

A coach could grab a megaphone and scream into a homers ear “the player sucks”, and some of you will find a way to make it sound good.

Let's not forget, it's all about "The Process."   Amen!

40 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

As I always say, imagine if some of our former teams had had Allen.  

Interesting thought experiment.

One could make the argument that this current roster (outside of Allen) is not much better than some of our playoff-drought teams.

Put Josh Allen with Lee Evans, Eric Moulds, Travis Henry, Pat Williams, Aaron Schobel, London Fletcher, Takeo Spikes, Nate Clements, Terrence McGee, Lawyer Milloy, etc.

I may pick that squad to beat our current team.

Or put Josh Allen with Fred Jackson, Sammy Watkins, Robert Woods, Kyle Williams, Prime Jerry Hughes, Mario Williams, Stephon Gilmore, Aaron Williams, Preston Brown, Darby, etc. 

Thats a playoff squad. Even without Allen they were only 1 game out of the playoffs.

But whatever - Beane isn’t the first GM to ride the coat tails of one homerun pick.

• Thank you (+1) 1

18 hours ago, TheFunPolice said:

Nobody who owns and rides horses is dumb, it's just not possible. It's true, Google it. 

Hopefully Oliver will be motivated by the prospect of a new contract, but I don't see it happening here. 

This isn’t 1870. What could possibly parallel owning a huge animal, many acres of land, years of concerted effort to maintain it just so you can ride it make a person smart?

Ridiculous. 

PS Good luck in FA, Ed.

Edited by Chandler#81
  • Agree 1

Maybe Eric Washington should look in the mirror.  The Bills haven't had a lot of pay back for all the draft investment they have put into the DL.  At least part of that responsibility has to go to the guy who is suppose to be developing the those high draft choices.

8 minutes ago, Billy Claude said:

Maybe Eric Washington should look in the mirror.  The Bills haven't had a lot of pay back for all the draft investment they have put into the DL.  At least part of that responsibility has to go to the guy who is suppose to be developing the those high draft choices.

Riiight, cuz 3 straight Division titles and routinely among the Top 5 Defensive rankings means more work needs to be done.🤦‍♂️

On 6/2/2023 at 9:12 PM, Tom Donahoe, GM said:

Obviously Ed needs to continue improving and that is what he's saying Ed needs to improve.

No hoo boy's needed IMO

Yeah, I think it's legit to say they're firing a warning shot off Ed's bow, that he's got to keep improving, and that one area where he's got to improve is playing faster. Working on nuances.

Beyond that, the News writer made assumptions that appear completely unsupported. There's no mention of problems with preparation. That's only one possible cause of not being fast enough and having problems with nuances and subtleties. There are several things that could cause those kinds of problems.

But he went out of his way to point out areas of improvement. They didn't have to take that public. They were trying to send a message for Ed, no doubt about it.

1 hour ago, Chandler#81 said:

Riiight, cuz 3 straight Division titles and routinely among the Top 5 Defensive rankings means more work needs to be done.🤦‍♂️

Do you think Beane is just bad at evaluating DL talent then? Oliver is meh, Basham is a dud. Epenessa is meh, Rousseau was a solid pick at the end of the first. Just curious because I don’t think our defensive has lived up to the resources we’ve poured into it and either Beane or Washington owns that. They shouldn’t need a first ballot HOF DE to make it a dominant unit with all the picks/money poured into it (obviously Von’s health is the key to our D-line this season)

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

8 hours ago, Einstein said:

My goodness.

Maybe. But on the other side, Beane can specifically go out of his way to support a guy like Edmunds, to say that they wanted to keep him but couldn't make it work reasonably, and some of you would (and have over and over) found a way to not believe it and try desperately to make it sound bad.

The coach here specifically went out of his way to point to specific but solveable problems, and for you that's apparently "the player sucks."

If anyone's running on confirmation bias it's guys trying to pretend a megaphone was used here, and then trying to pretend that when Beane actually did use a megaphone we shouldn't pay attention because he clearly didn't mean it as it doesn't line up with the posters' narratives.

My goodness indeeed.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.