D-line coach Eric Washington’s comments on Ed Oliver — hoo boy

dave mcbride

this is nothing new - and what many expected from him in college. he has all of this talent and it was limited by other factors. his ceiling was obvious but he will have a long career in the nfl as long as he doesn't get lazier

• Agree 2

This is why there’s a Hall of Fame.  You can have all the physical talent and all the playbook knowledge, but if you don’t have the instincts, you’re JAG. 

It doesn’t sound like Ed has the instincts to be great. 

6 hours ago, Your Brown Eye said:

So he's an idiot who rely's on his physical skills...great

And here I was thinking most of the NFL was filled with a bunch of high intellects that went to college for their scholastic aptitudes. 

Who knew?

• Haha (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

49 minutes ago, boyst said:

this is nothing new - and what many expected from him in college. he has all of this talent and it was limited by other factors. his ceiling was obvious but he will have a long career in the nfl as long as he doesn't get lazier

He was more of a late-2nd or 3rd-round pick.  

I've never seen the fire from Oliver that you see from the top tier players. Aaron Donald isn't just an athletic specimen, he is known to have an almost psychotic workout routine even in the offseason. For some guys the NFL season ends in February. For Donald it never stops. That's how a guy with his size became an all time great. I don't think Oliver is a total slacker like Dareus turned into, but he also hasn't fully committed himself to being great. Hopefully this being a contract year will incentivize him to give it his all, and then I don't care what sort of effort he gives in 2024 and beyond because it won't be with us.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

9 hours ago, eball said:

There’s no question this is Oliver’s year to prove he deserves a big 2nd contract.  We’ll see what he does with it.

Even if he has a good season I still want him gone. Just proves his true motivations by performing well in a contract year. If Tre Edmunds wasn't good enough for a new deal then why should Ed Oliver get one? One is a top 5 player at his position and the other is a top 30.

Hated the pick then and still do.

He's at best a solid starter. For a top 10 pick that is not good enough. 

I will give a caveat to my post. He did have a bad ankle injury last year after starting the year well. 

Truly hope he can offer some inside pass rush. If he could get 8-10 sacks with 20 or so QB hurries he can make a big difference. 

Edited by Ethan in Cleveland
  • Agree 3

5 hours ago, Dr.Mantis_Toboggan said:

When was the last time this team hit a DL pick out of the park? I guess Kyle for a DT, almost 20 years ago…

I mean going back to 2000 this franchise has been woefully bad at selecting DL. Looking through 23 years worth of drafts, they really only hit on three DL draft picks.

Aaron Schobel in 01

Kyle Williams in 06

Harrison Phillips 18 (serviceable, nothing to brag about not retained obv)

*Marcell Dareus 11- Asterisk bc he was legit on his rookie deal, but as soon as he got the pay day he stopped trying and flamed out, so not exactly what you hope for out of the 3rd overall pick in the draft.

So 23 years of drafts, and one legit edge rusher, one HOF caliber DT, one serviceable DT, one who had all the talent in the world but gave up on himself… and then two decades plus of JAGS and busts like Flowers, Denney, the human epitomization of “mid” Chris Kelsay, Maybin, McCargo, Troupe, Lawson, Ed, Epenesa, Basham, Rousseau… I get it’s a hard position to draft, but this has to be like historically bad. Not one legit edge rusher drafted in 20+ years…

When was the last time, not including Josh, that the BIlls knocked ANY first round pick out of the park? We've had some decent first rounders but not a lot and few great ones. I have to think Eric Moulds.. but maybe someone will remind of another great first rounder. 

6 hours ago, TheBrownBear said:

Reading between the lines, I think he's saying we should trade him for Aaron Donald.

Close - to Dallas for picks and ultimately used for DHop.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/this-cowboys-bills-trade-proposal-sends-intriguing-defender-to-dallas/ar-AA1c2AGM?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=1cb4a97a5bcc40d6b77558faee3a4e1a&ei=26

11 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

I think the comments encapsulate why the draft is a crap shoot. All of these guys are athletically gifted coming out of college and most were that way their entire life. But when they turn professional they don’t all understand what kind of commitment is required to be good at your craft. And as pretty much any employer will tell you, the same can be said for just about every other college major as well.

Isn't this an indictment of the scouting department? Aren't they supposed to interview said prospect to see what makes them tick? Speak with college coaches about their work habits? 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Ed is a dud. He’s either going to continue his meh play and get paid by another team or he’s going to have a monster contract year and get paid by another team.

Can anyone tell me if Washington is any good? Has this guy developed anyone to their perceived potential? Is Beane that bad at evaluating DT/DE talent or is Washington unable to bring the best out of these guys? One of those has to be true

• Like (+1) 2

It is amazing that this guy can't get motivated.  It almost seemed if his play really tanked when Von got injured too.  I don't know if this is a coincidence but it had something to do with playing with Von on the field and off.  It was a lot easier with Von for Ed.   Just seems that he is not willing to put the extra effort in.  So much for Von being the super bowl whisperer.

1 hour ago, Nephilim17 said:

When was the last time, not including Josh, that the BIlls knocked ANY first round pick out of the park? We've had some decent first rounders but not a lot and few great ones. I have to think Eric Moulds.. but maybe someone will remind of another great first rounder. 

Yup,  outside of Josh and the 1st round pick we used on Diggs, it's been awhile.  Dareus and Oliver were real disappointments.  I say spend the majority of your cap money on offense and build a competent D with hungry lower tier players.  Unless a sure thing DE drops in our lap it's full steam ahead surrounding JA with talent. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Nephilim17 said:

Josh is like a grand-slam.  Not sure how you would define "knocked out of the park," but White I'd put there.  Gilmore maybe?  

48 minutes ago, Solomon Grundy said:

Isn't this an indictment of the scouting department? Aren't they supposed to interview said prospect to see what makes them tick? Speak with college coaches about their work habits? 

And ultimately of the GM if we want to be fully honest.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, RunTheBall said:

Can anyone tell me if Washington is any good? Has this guy developed anyone to their perceived potential? Is Beane that bad at evaluating DT/DE talent or is Washington unable to bring the best out of these guys? One of those has to be true

Who knows, this will be his 4th season with us.  He's another Carolina dragover that coached under McD.  

I guess if you think he's overachieved with the talent we have on the DL, then he's good.  If he's underachieved, then I guess he's not good.  

If the playoffs is any indication ... 

25 minutes ago, Toyo321 said:

It is amazing that this guy can't get motivated.  It almost seemed if his play really tanked when Von got injured too.  I don't know if this is a coincidence but it had something to do with playing with Von on the field and off.  It was a lot easier with Von for Ed.   Just seems that he is not willing to put the extra effort in.  So much for Von being the super bowl whisperer.

The play of the D in general was notably worse with Miller out.  Our averages plummeted and against far worse offensive talent too.  Jones twice, Fields, White, and Thompson which makes the downturn worse than it actually was.  

Edited by PBF81

13 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

,“Just continue to play the game as much as possible from the neck up. When you have the kind of talent Ed has, you have to understand situations that could mean the difference between separating yourself from the opponent (and saying), ‘I have to able to process very, very quickly so I can win my one-on-one so I can play ahead of the play as opposed to playing with the sequence of that particular play.’

“With Ed, from an experience standpoint, we need him to play ahead as opposed to with the tempo of the play so (understanding) situations, certain nuances with certain calls and understanding where he can take advantage based on his position (is important).”

Hooboy. And wow. And yikes.

Reading between the words isn’t required to interrupt what Washington was saying, right?

Understanding situations … Process very, very quickly. … Play ahead of the play.

If it reads to you as if Washington wants Oliver to do more video study and be more committed to during-the-week preparation in order to perform better in games – that was 100% my lean once I transcribed the quote.’

https://buffalonews.com/sports/bills/ryan-ohalloran-to-hear-bills-tell-it-ed-olivers-final-chance-to-earn-long-term/article_cc3f0636-009a-11ee-8d28-c3fb3d9ee3df.html

Well...It's not an endorsement... B-)

• Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.