D-line coach Eric Washington’s comments on Ed Oliver — hoo boy

dave mcbride

My perspective is he's not processing the game fast enough and anticipating the play.

The more notable aspect given the Bills' culture is Washington publicly making these statements.   I have to believe there's been a lot of coaching effort and now a lot of frustration with Ed's ability to play the game at a high enough level.

I'm not sure the Bills should even award the big contract if he has a monster year.  I would question his motivation after getting it.

Edited by GaryPinC
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 3

1 hour ago, Augie said:

Sure, finally figure it out and go get paid the mega-deal elsewhere. I can live with that if it means he tore it up this year on his way to a special season. Rinse and repeat. 

I agree with this for a few reasons.

1. Ed seems like the type that is motivated by a payday to me. I think he will have an amazing season. We sure could use it this year. 

2. Better he plays the higher his next contract will be and there's a chance that won't come from Bills. Beane seems to be leaning into the comp pick game and Ed could fetch a high one with a great year.

3. I'm not 100% sold on Oliver being the type that gets a big deal and plays up to it. I think there's a good chance he's one of the ones that gets paid and gets complacent. I predict that whatever and wherever he lands his 2nd contract...he won't live up to the price.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Tom Donahoe, GM said:

Obviously Ed needs to continue improving and that is what he's saying Ed needs to improve.

No hoo boy's needed IMO

"needs to improve?"  He's not a rookie you know!

Move on from this guy if possible, especially if we can fool someone into giving us something for him.

Sounds like he's an incredibly unintelligent person, which wouldn't exactly be unique in the NFL.

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 1
  • Dislike 1

2 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

Move on from this guy if possible, especially if we can fool someone into giving us something for him.

Sounds like he's an incredibly unintelligent person, which wouldn't exactly be unique in the NFL.

He didn’t get a big contract from the bills for a reason 

you want to move on now? In a contract year lol

Everything that made Kyle Williams a very good player is what is holding back Ed. Kyle learned how to read the key indicators being presented by the opponent and use them to his advantage. Things like what kind of stance an opponent is in, if he leaning forward or back or tilted slightly in a direction, what a man in motion means on the play and how that changes where the ball might go, etc. etc. It's not that Ed is too dumb to pick that up, and its not that he's not studying film (he wouldn't play if he didn't), its more that he has not made it to the advanced levels of studying film that give some of these guys an edge. Being "late" when you're "light" more often than not spells trouble post-snap.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, eball said:

There’s no question this is Oliver’s year to prove he deserves a big 2nd contract.  We’ll see what he does with it.

Wouldn't be the first time a player puts it all together in a contract year and then goes back to his prior production after 

2 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

,“Just continue to play the game as much as possible from the neck up. When you have the kind of talent Ed has, you have to understand situations that could mean the difference between separating yourself from the opponent (and saying), ‘I have to able to process very, very quickly so I can win my one-on-one so I can play ahead of the play as opposed to playing with the sequence of that particular play.’

“With Ed, from an experience standpoint, we need him to play ahead as opposed to with the tempo of the play so (understanding) situations, certain nuances with certain calls and understanding where he can take advantage based on his position (is important).”

Hooboy. And wow. And yikes.

Reading between the words isn’t required to interrupt what Washington was saying, right?

Understanding situations … Process very, very quickly. … Play ahead of the play.

If it reads to you as if Washington wants Oliver to do more video study and be more committed to during-the-week preparation in order to perform better in games – that was 100% my lean once I transcribed the quote.’

https://buffalonews.com/sports/bills/ryan-ohalloran-to-hear-bills-tell-it-ed-olivers-final-chance-to-earn-long-term/article_cc3f0636-009a-11ee-8d28-c3fb3d9ee3df.html

I’m not sure what he’s saying about Oliver.  That is some really awful coach-speak. Impenetrable, to me, at least.

• Disagree 1

50 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

If so, seems like that is something you could fix, but it's puzzling it hasn't happened by now.

He's absolutely gotten better at it but there are still instances where he's late getting into and out of his set and it puts him behind the play.

I don’t think it’s that bad. He should be called and he should want to be. He is playing for major money. He should welcome any advice that can help him reach his goal.

personally, I think he is just too undersized and his physical tools that got him to nfl just aren’t elite enough to make him special. He is a gap stopping, rotational DT. Plenty of value but not worth that much to use and certainly doesn’t live up to his draft selection. Not a bust but a disappointment for sure.

17 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

Love when posters on a message board question the intelligence of a person they have never met. Very smart. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, JohnNord said:

It’s doesn’t appear to be a vote of confidence but you never know why coaches say things publicly.  They often use it as an opportunity to challenge players knowing it will get back to them - so the video study definitely makes sense.  

The most disappointing thing about Oliver is that the three DT’s that we passed on have greatly outplayed him in Lawrence, Simmons and Wilkins.  Unless he breaks out, Ed is going to have to sign a contract that greatly dwarfs what those 3 make.  

At least we didn’t draft Jerry Tillery 😭

I really doubt he said this as a method to motivate the guy.

if my HC’s motivational methods included thinly disguised shots at his players during public press comments…I would fire him because he’s a bad coach. 

• Agree 1

42 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

Reminds me of when Frazier said Edmunds needs to make more impact plays.

I imagine we won’t be paying Ed if he’s more of the same next season.

Consistency is how biggest issue.  He'll pay two, maybe three fantastic games every season, then he plays mediocre ball for half of the rest and disappears altogether for the others.  

I would think that he would have to play an absolutely monster season for us to pay him what some other team will otherwise.  Who's sees that happening.  

I guess Oliver becoming the next Aaron Donald has officially been put to bed.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.