D-line coach Eric Washington’s comments on Ed Oliver — hoo boy

dave mcbride

,“Just continue to play the game as much as possible from the neck up. When you have the kind of talent Ed has, you have to understand situations that could mean the difference between separating yourself from the opponent (and saying), ‘I have to able to process very, very quickly so I can win my one-on-one so I can play ahead of the play as opposed to playing with the sequence of that particular play.’

“With Ed, from an experience standpoint, we need him to play ahead as opposed to with the tempo of the play so (understanding) situations, certain nuances with certain calls and understanding where he can take advantage based on his position (is important).”

Hooboy. And wow. And yikes.

Reading between the words isn’t required to interrupt what Washington was saying, right?

Understanding situations … Process very, very quickly. … Play ahead of the play.

If it reads to you as if Washington wants Oliver to do more video study and be more committed to during-the-week preparation in order to perform better in games – that was 100% my lean once I transcribed the quote.’

https://buffalonews.com/sports/bills/ryan-ohalloran-to-hear-bills-tell-it-ed-olivers-final-chance-to-earn-long-term/article_cc3f0636-009a-11ee-8d28-c3fb3d9ee3df.html

• Like (+1) 3
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 3
  • Dislike 1

I think "reading between the lines (maybe)" to "interpret" what is being said is that the Coach doesn't believe the player is playing as smart as he wishes based on his physical talent.  That whether the player needs to study and prepare better, or that the player is not smart enough to grasp what must be accomplished.  

• Agree 8

As I read the comments, Washington essentially is saying that Oliver needs to prepare better--or, put simply, do his homework.  It's kind of like reading the textbook in a class you're taking.  It's funny how things are a lot easier and make a lot more sense if one actually bothers to read the book.  Seems like the same concept here. 

• Like (+1) 2

should not surprise anyone.  i mean, he had athletic traits out of control since the day we drafted him, and has had flashes but is simply not very productive.  that more or less leaves his mentality/brains.

I think the comments encapsulate why the draft is a crap shoot. All of these guys are athletically gifted coming out of college and most were that way their entire life. But when they turn professional they don’t all understand what kind of commitment is required to be good at your craft. And as pretty much any employer will tell you, the same can be said for just about every other college major as well.

Edited by SoCal Deek
  • Like (+1) 3

2 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

,“Just continue to play the game as much as possible from the neck up. When you have the kind of talent Ed has, you have to understand situations that could mean the difference between separating yourself from the opponent (and saying), ‘I have to able to process very, very quickly so I can win my one-on-one so I can play ahead of the play as opposed to playing with the sequence of that particular play.’

“With Ed, from an experience standpoint, we need him to play ahead as opposed to with the tempo of the play so (understanding) situations, certain nuances with certain calls and understanding where he can take advantage based on his position (is important).”

Reading between the words isn’t required to interrupt what Washington was saying, right?

Understanding situations … Process very, very quickly. … Play ahead of the play.

If it reads to you as if Washington wants Oliver to do more video study and be more committed to during-the-week preparation in order to perform better in games – that was 100% my lean once I transcribed the quote.’

https://buffalonews.com/sports/bills/ryan-ohalloran-to-hear-bills-tell-it-ed-olivers-final-chance-to-earn-long-term/article_cc3f0636-009a-11ee-8d28-c3fb3d9ee3df.html

What I'm reading is he just doesn't anticipate the play the way he should and think about what to do before the play comes to him.  He can study all he wants, studying won't help if he doesn't react in time or ahead of time.

I'm sure he's also told Oliver the same.

Edited by Ed_Formerly_of_Roch
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, dave mcbride said:

It’s doesn’t appear to be a vote of confidence but you never know why coaches say things publicly.  They often use it as an opportunity to challenge players knowing it will get back to them - so the video study definitely makes sense.  

The most disappointing thing about Oliver is that the three DT’s that we passed on have greatly outplayed him in Lawrence, Simmons and Wilkins.  Unless he breaks out, Ed is going to have to sign a contract that greatly dwarfs what those 3 make.  

At least we didn’t draft Jerry Tillery 😭

• Agree 2

53 minutes ago, eball said:

There’s no question this is Oliver’s year to prove he deserves a big 2nd contract.  We’ll see what he does with it.

If he does have a good year I still don't expect the Bills to pony up the money required to keep him. I think the Bills want to get bigger at that spot moving forward. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, Simon said:

I interpret it as him saying that sometimes he's late to the line and slow off the snap.

Which he is.

If so, seems like that is something you could fix, but it's puzzling it hasn't happened by now.

Sounds like his next contract will have a film study clause…,  it has a certain Arizona QB ring to it, 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.