Why did Isaiah McKenzie fail as starting Slot WR?

JohnNord

Like many here and many in the media, I thought we would see big things from Isaiah McKenzie.  After signing a multi-year contract with Buffalo, it seemed like he was going to be the heir apparent to Cole Beasley.  Even when the Bills signed Jamison Crowder, McKenzie routinely hyped as one of the most impressive WR’s in training camp.  I believe he was called “uncoverable” several times by beat reporters.  

But last season was not the step forward we thought he would take.  While he still put up decent numbers there were times when he seemed invisible in the offense - a far cry from when Cole Beasley’s role.  

I’m wondering why… did he struggle with getting open and reading defenses in the way that Beasley did?  Did Allen not trust him?  Was Dorsey unable to utilize his skills and find advantageous matchups for him, the way that Daboll did the season before?

Or did McKenzie simply prove that he is not a starting caliber WR…and is instead more of a gadget/role player?   I know there were issues with drops this season too which didn’t help.  

I know on Ty Dunne’s podcast he said he was getting open but wasn’t getting the ball.  Is this true?  I can’t say that I completely buy that.  

If anyone has theories why or has watched his film, let me know. 

McKenzie is a fine player. He does have the skillset to play in the NFL. He however IMO is better suited as a role player. He can be a fun player to watch on an up and coming team...which he was here for years. And I believe he will be for Indy.

I just don't believe he has the talent to be a full time NFL WR on a contending team. I do wish him luck and will be rooting he does well. 

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 1

10 minutes ago, NickelCity said:

Man he was just awful last year. Truly bad situational performance. 

He made some big mistakes…I wouldn’t call him awful.  They just needed more from him at slot WR and he didn’t deliver.  Not sure why

2 minutes ago, Dave_Bills said:

Dropped so many balls. Just not a natural receiver 

I think Josh lost some trust in him which could account for him not getting more targets

29 minutes ago, DJB said:

Because he couldn’t catch the ball lol

That week 1 drop/int. against the Rams kinda set the tone for Isaiah.  He just never settled into the slot role. He was just a gadget guy who would have a rare outlier big game.  No consistency. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

We don't really know how hard he trained and studied but I suspect he wasn't very focused and/or smart, didn't have great hands, and lacked the fearlessness great slot guys have.

He had a hell of shot to do it and simply didn't. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Einstein said:

What those clips actually showed is how valuable Brian Daboll is.

I forgot how well he would scheme players open.

Like night and day from last season.

Daboll did not catch the balls and a lot of the balls were in very difficult places to catch.

11 minutes ago, Aussie Joe said:

I think it’s interesting they have paid Harty twice as much as Dirty,,,

They must be quite high on him..

yes. IF if if Harty can stay healthy, his analytics have been elite when on the field and given opportunities. Explosive player who plays bigger than his size

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

30 minutes ago, Einstein said:

What those clips actually showed is how valuable Brian Daboll is.

I forgot how well he would scheme players open.

Like night and day from last season.

Yup, as we experienced last season Daboll is worlds ahead of Dorsey.  It just felt like no one was schemed up last year. Just a "go out and get open" gameplan.  

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.