Let's dump on Saffold a little more

Rubes

21 hours ago, 947 said:

On 2 of those plays, Saffold holds up for 1.3 seconds before getting blown past, which actually makes them 2 of his best pass-pro snaps of the season.

I noticed this too.  For any other starting lineman in the NFL a few these plays would be categorized as “bad” reps.  For Saffold, they are “decent.” 🤣

22 hours ago, Rubes said:

This guy has been tweeting today about Josh's work in the Bengals playoff game, but all I see is Saffold getting repeatedly embarrassed. I don't know if there was something going on with him that game, like an injury or something, but this is just brutal.

Gives me hope for next year, since the others on the line seem to be doing a pretty decent job in pass blocking, even Brown.

I’ve long said that given Star Lotulelei the big five-year contract was Brandon Beane’s worst FA signing.

However Saffold might be a close second.  His saving grace was that he was only signed to a one-year deal.  But this was a HUGE year for Buffalo and he almost single-handedly made the line worse 

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

Nah DHOP is history this was an observation of the continuous pressure Allen was under particularly from the jnterior part of the line and when he would throw it his receiver would drop it anyway. 

breaking news…

4 hours ago, finn said:

It was plain to everyone, especially the coaching staff, I'm sure, that Saffold was beyond awful, yet McBeane sat on their hands all season. Why not give up trade for a competent guard? They didn't need excellent, only adequate. They brought in Brown and Beasley off the street; why not a guard?

To my knowledge, no reporter ever asked Beane why he let Saffold start all season long. His actions after the season show he realized he messed up. How may guards did he draft and sign? 15? 

Good offensive linemen are either on rookie deals, or are paid well.  We had no cap room to acquire anyone mid-season last year, and barely had enough just for practice squad elevations.  

• Like (+1) 1

On 6/1/2023 at 2:20 PM, GreggTX said:

Saffold had a great career and was one of the top Guards in the NFL, but injuries took their toll. Am I allowed to bring that up here or is only hate allowed?

He should have been on a PS for a year while he worked on getting healthy.

It is one thing to pass the physical and another to play 17+ games sometimes only 4 days apart,

On 6/1/2023 at 2:07 PM, Patrick Duffy said:

Well he's an easy one to "dump" on if you're gona choose somebody. Thing is, was so frustrating because when he got signed we all knew (or most of us did/should have) he wasn't a great pass blocker in Tenn and was better run blocker. However, while we knew his pass blocking needed work giving a general idea what to expect from him, speaking for myself here, I didn't think he would be much, much worse than I thought.

I think it was a combination of Aaron Kromer and the fact that Buffalo tried to sign him in 2018.  He was signed to a one-year so he was never going to be a long term answer, but I think they expected a lot more.  He was the weakest link on a pretty average OL

Someone made a thread about Beane's biggest off-season blunder. Well, this is it right here. You're offensive line is only as strong as it's weakest link. This proves it right here. SafFOLD folded in the biggest game of the year. That was a surefire TD to Diggs that would've greatly swayed the momentum of this game. So glad both Saffold & Frazier are history. Addition by subtraction. 

2 hours ago, Bleeding Bills Blue said:

Good offensive linemen are either on rookie deals, or are paid well.  We had no cap room to acquire anyone mid-season last year, and barely had enough just for practice squad elevations.  

Yeah, but Saffold was a five-alarm fire. You could argue he cost the Bills the season, with his play against the Bengals. By then, it was too late to do anything, but his incompetence was clear from the start. Restructure contracts, trade a player, even snag a warm body off another team's practice squad, if the backups were even worse than Saffold. (Another indictment of Beane, by the way.)

Well, it's all water under a dead horse at this point...

On 6/2/2023 at 6:02 PM, finn said:

Yeah, but Saffold was a five-alarm fire. You could argue he cost the Bills the season, with his play against the Bengals. By then, it was too late to do anything, but his incompetence was clear from the start. Restructure contracts, trade a player, even snag a warm body off another team's practice squad, if the backups were even worse than Saffold. (Another indictment of Beane, by the way.)

Well, it's all water under a dead horse at this point...

Ideally u have options to bench him

On 6/2/2023 at 8:27 AM, finn said:

It was plain to everyone, especially the coaching staff, I'm sure, that Saffold was beyond awful, yet McBeane sat on their hands all season. Why not give up trade for a competent guard? They didn't need excellent, only adequate. They brought in Brown and Beasley off the street; why not a guard?

To my knowledge, no reporter ever asked Beane why he let Saffold start all season long. His actions after the season show he realized he messed up. How may guards did he draft and sign? 15? 

McBeane since 2019 usually had attempted to get good depth along the O-line but going into 2022 the depth on the O-line was really bad. Even if you felt like you could get one decent season out of Saffold and Brown would take a leap up the bench was atrocious. Queese was the only decent backup O-line player on the roster. 

In 2019 they signed Ty Neshke as a swing tackle and to push Cody Ford at RT, they also signed Mongo, Spain and Spencer Long to help with depth. They also found Bates and Ike to develop behind more proven players. 

In 2020 they had signed Darryl Williams to push Cody Ford to the bench, still had Ty Neshke as a swing tackle, signed Brian Winters when Mongo got hurt, brought back Spain to take snaps at guard and had Bates as a super sub and Ike there at guard. 

In 2021 they kick Ford inside for depth, and resigned D.Williams then drafted Spencer Brown in the third round while also having Bates backup Mongo. They shifted things around with Brown taking over the RT spot and D.Williams and Bates kicking inside to guard which put Mongo and Ford to the bench. 

2022 they had Queese a decent RT/G backup and no one else really. They signed Greg Von Rotten and Manc both of whom were pretty bad players even in terms of backups. They had kicked Bates to the starting lineup which hurt the team's depth and only Queese was a capable backup when the team usually had at least 3 decent backups on the bench the pervious seasons. 

2023 seems to be different, assuming Torrence starts that puts Bates back to the bench as a super sub, Queese is back, Edwards was added to the bench and is a starting guard with a lot of experience and they recently added Snell a RT with a moderate amount of experience and some success. They are also kicking the tires on Ike and Doyle.

I am really glad McBeane learned their lesson going into 2023 at least attempting to have more quality O-line depth while improving the guard positions. 

Edited by billsfan89
  • Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.