Let's dump on Saffold a little more

Rubes

7 hours ago, Allen2Diggs said:

Saffold may be one of the worst players to make the probowl. He would have been benched if Boettger was healthy.

I just don’t get how he could even be selected to the pro bowl. It makes me think even less of the pro bowl selections (not that I had a high opinion anyway, but now it’s just garbage). 

8 hours ago, 947 said:

On 2 of those plays, Saffold holds up for 1.3 seconds before getting blown past, which actually makes them 2 of his best pass-pro snaps of the season.

Josh Allen had exactly 2 seconds, 2.4 seconds and 2.75 seconds on each of those plays. Staffold was HORRIBLE on all those plays... all he had to do was block for that extra second and Josh would of had 4-6 seconds to throw the ball. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

You know if you can stomach rewatching the entire game Allen really did all he could against the Bengals. Did he miss a few checkdowns sure but man he was as close to a one man team in that game as any game he played recently.

Ironically he only would get into trouble when he would lock on Diggs cause no one else was getting open. 

I knew this was another backdoor DHop thread....

• Haha (+1) 3

7 hours ago, boyst said:

Was talking about scaffold. 

And it's a big reason I will miss Singleterry. Dude was a process guy. We showed some colors not trying more to keep him. 

I, too, will miss him. But the only colors the Bills showed by not wanting to extend an undersized RB with great lateral agility but no speed and below average pass catching were prudence and vision. Singletary has some undeniable cutback juice. But he also has a documented lack of consistent up-field explosion (his 2nd offseason training program, I think, will google later, was openly devoted to converting his lateral elusiveness into actual yards gained). He admitted on record then that his mindset needed an adjustment to focus more on using his skills to move forward (paraphrasing). That's troubling. 

As a testament to Singletary's growth mindset, I think we saw glimpses of that rookie explosion in years 3 and 4, but it was eventually obvious to just about any objective observer last season that James Cook is a much more dynamic offensive threat. Even Moss had a couple prior moments that flashed elements (physicality/pass catching) lacking in Devin's game. His Houston deal is totally reasonable for a guy of his skillset, but he has limitations and inconsistencies that make him VERY replaceable. 

• Agree 1

10 hours ago, Patrick Duffy said:

Well he's an easy one to "dump" on if you're gona choose somebody. Thing is, was so frustrating because when he got signed we all knew (or most of us did/should have) he wasn't a great pass blocker in Tenn and was better run blocker. However, while we knew his pass blocking needed work giving a general idea what to expect from him, speaking for myself here, I didn't think he would be much, much worse than I thought.

I could be wrong, but I thought he’d been a decent pass blocker in LA and the notion was Kromer would get him back to that

3 hours ago, Chaos said:

Until I read this post, I had completely forgot about Singletary.  His actual production will be fairly easily replaced. 

We'll see.  He was second in the team in yards-from-scrimmage and 1st-downs.  

I don't think that Harris will outperform him.  I suppose together Cook and Harris may outperform what he and Cook did last season.  

first rep was bad

second was ok and third was actually a W imo, understands the front is going to leave his man 1v1, moves him to outside leverage and engages long enough to get the throw off...just couldn't seal him off on the anchor due to bad footing

17 hours ago, Dillenger4 said:

Yes, Our D was pathetic that day. Sad, but true. Any time I felt like we may have a shot at coming back our D just couldn't hold them. We were behind all game.

Agree 100%.  Some facts for those that want to point all the blame at the offense & Allen:

*  In a playoff game AT HOME and in bad weather, a great defense is expected to start the game off strong. Instead the Bills D gave up 2 long TD drives to put the team in a 14 - 0 hole with the offense having only run 3 plays.

*  After the Bills cut the Bengals lead to 14 - 7 the Bills D promptly gave up a 6 minutes FG drive that only avoided being a TD drive by a close replay overturning of a Bengals TD. That drive not only restored the Bengals two score lead but used up most of what was left of the 2nd quarter.

*  The Bills opened the 2nd half with a 7 plus minute FG drive that cut the Cincy lead to 17 - 10. The Bills D responded by allowing the Bengals to use up most of the remaining 3rd quarter on a long TD drive to go back up by 14 points.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Nitro said:

Saffold had a great career but age and injuries caught up.  He should have retired but he signed with the Bills.  This is why I hate signing guys who are over 30.  

no one leaves the NFL before they are offered a 1 year contract by Beane...

• Haha (+1) 1

20 hours ago, GreggTX said:

Saffold had a great career and was one of the top Guards in the NFL, but injuries took their toll. Am I allowed to bring that up here or is only hate allowed?

Everyone loved the signing at the time. So much hindsight. Also, dumping on people who aren’t on the team anymore is super corny. Like the dudes who look at pictures of their ex and just make mean comments. Move forward with the next hot guard. 

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Lost said:

Both the OL and DL were complete dumpster fires and getting blown up the whole game.  We definitely got out-schemed defensively as well.

That's what got me so mad for weeks on end. The Bengals OLine wasn't that good to being with, and had 3 backups that day! Yet they somehow still completely manhandled the Bills DL. I'll never get that part.

Bengals went on their W streak when their coaching staff adjusted for the lackluster pass protection skills of their OL... and it worked. I felt the B ills O schemes were more creative in the beginning of the year and became predictable and more vanilla as the season progressed. Beasley had a few key plays (including a TD) that were basically scheme created so it can be done!

Dorsey better deliver this year. He has all the toys an OC can ask for!

It was plain to everyone, especially the coaching staff, I'm sure, that Saffold was beyond awful, yet McBeane sat on their hands all season. Why not give up trade for a competent guard? They didn't need excellent, only adequate. They brought in Brown and Beasley off the street; why not a guard?

To my knowledge, no reporter ever asked Beane why he let Saffold start all season long. His actions after the season show he realized he messed up. How may guards did he draft and sign? 15? 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.