Let's dump on Saffold a little more

Rubes

You know if you can stomach rewatching the entire game Allen really did all he could against the Bengals. Did he miss a few checkdowns sure but man he was as close to a one man team in that game as any game he played recently.

Ironically he only would get into trouble when he would lock on Diggs cause no one else was getting open. 

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, GreggTX said:

Saffold had a great career and was one of the top Guards in the NFL, but injuries took their toll. Am I allowed to bring that up here or is only hate allowed?

This was my thought too. The dude was really good in his first few years. The type of player you'd want in free agency...the Bills just signed him about four or five years too late. 

Sometimes I felt like it was fair to question his heart and how much he bought into the culture. Too many times we'd see him get beat and then just stand there like, "My bad, homie!" 

At the end of the day he's probably like a lot of other players at his age. His mind and spirit are telling him he can still go while his body been trying to tell him since like 2017, "Yo, we done! Go sit down before you get another quarterback squished by a 330 lb. DT."

Edited by blacklabel

26 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

JT O'Sullivan is not a former Bill and his content is great.

Was talking about scaffold. 

1 hour ago, Rubes said:

Mostly just in the vein of "how did we specifically improve from last year."

I mean, in this one they have Singletary lined up essentially as an OL next to Saffold, probably because they figured he would completely screw up the threatened blitz.

And it's a big reason I will miss Singleterry. Dude was a process guy. We showed some colors not trying more to keep him. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, GreggTX said:

Saffold had a great career and was one of the top Guards in the NFL, but injuries took their toll. Am I allowed to bring that up here or is only hate allowed?

I agree , thought Saffold had a decent career , but on here , its mostly "open mike night" .. who can have the most creative quip.. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Rubes said:

Mostly just in the vein of "how did we specifically improve from last year."

I mean, in this one they have Singletary lined up essentially as an OL next to Saffold, probably because they figured he would completely screw up the threatened blitz.

That's awesome.  Knox is a beast. Add Kinclaid in 2 TE sets and motion him out. It justvadds a whole new dimension to the O. If the D goes nickel,  we can likely run on em all day, or mix it up, Lil play action. 

They go 34 or 43 and we have huge match-up advantages all over the field 

• Like (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

The vids are too painful to watch but, yeah, we all know last season Saffold was a subway turn style masquerading as an offensive lineman. 

But isnt there more blame to go around here ?
Why a run blocking guard on a pass loving team. and the deep routes as well?
what was the plan there to bring him on anyways.

This one really did hurt the team and Josh in particular.

McBeanes to Dorsey to Kromer failed here.

But to be balanced in my post, i really do feel pretty darned good the offseason has been focused on upgrading that Offense especially the line. Very good depth, and heck ! They are still bringing players in to work out 

Go Bills

34 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

The vids are too painful to watch but, yeah, we all know last season Saffold was a subway turn style masquerading as an offensive lineman. 

I couldn't re- watch those plays.
 enough emotional trauma for me already  lol

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

The two new guards, McGovern and Torrence, should make a HUGE difference. Add in the new receivers and Kincaid, plus I read on here Damien Harriss is an even better pass blocker than Motor (who was pretty good), and barring injury, Josh will have a MONSTER year.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

4 hours ago, GreggTX said:

The real issue here is why Beane committed to him going into his age 33 season and after said injuries.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

6 hours ago, GreggTX said:

No you're not allowed to bring that up who cares what he was or did before he came to us.

7 hours ago, GreggTX said:

You would be, but in the words of the Pro Bowl turnstile, “I just kind of feel like we were tired”…”you run out of gas at some point.” 

FnVCWhracAQ9qLv.jpg

3 hours ago, Airseven said:

The real issue here is why Beane committed to him going into his age 33 season and after said injuries.

Beane really relies on Allen to makeup for the shortcomings on offense while he loaded up on defensive personnel.

He shouldn’t have to be going into his 6th year as starter with terrible interior guard play and Beane now knows this only 6 years later. 

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 hours ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

You know if you can stomach rewatching the entire game Allen really did all he could against the Bengals. Did he miss a few checkdowns sure but man he was as close to a one man team in that game as any game he played recently.

Ironically he only would get into trouble when he would lock on Diggs cause no one else was getting open. 

Agreed.  I remember when the game was played live I was slightly disappointed with Allen along with the rest of the team, but after re-watching the game just last week my opinion has changed.   Allen played about as well as he could have.  Both the OL and DL were complete dumpster fires and getting blown up the whole game.  We definitely got out-schemed defensively as well.   

Some other notable players who actually showed up for that game were Matt Milano, Dane Jackson Khalil Shakir and Beasley.  

• Agree 2

15 minutes ago, Lost said:

Agreed.  I remember when the game was played live I was slightly disappointed with Allen along with the rest of the team, but after re-watching the game just last week my opinion has changed.   Allen played about as well as he could have.  Both the OL and DL were complete dumpster fires and getting blown up the whole game.  We definitely got out-schemed defensively as well.   

Some other notable players who actually showed up for that game were Matt Milano, Dane Jackson Khalil Shakir and Beasley.  

I still can’t get over the vaunted defense giving up 30 first downs at home. The Bengals literally did whatever they wanted. 

Edited by 78thealltimegreat
  • Thank you (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.