Will DeAndre Hopklns Next Contract be Higher, Lower or the Same as OBJ's contract?

Chaos

Will DeAndre Hopklns Next Contract have a value Higher, Lower or the Same as OBJ's contract?  

145 members have voted

1. 1. Will DeAndre Hopklns Next Contract have a value Higher, Lower or the Same as OBJ's contract?

• Higher
    • Lower
    • Same

4 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Y05nRm2.png

Here are the OBJ details.

1yr/$15M, but spread out over 5 years for a cap hit of ~$3M/yr

I'd bet Hopkins will get more since he has been healthy and playing, and probably more than 1 year, but it will be structured with void years as well.

I am glad you know about google. 

2 hours ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

Thing is there isn’t a single team in that division you can say Cleveland is better than even if they add him. 
I think a team like the Lions could be in play though they seem like they are on the come up and he’s in a much easier conference. 

I'd put them over the Steelers, but yeah it's a tough division.  

I thought about the Lions as well.  I like what they're building.  

OBJ already has a ring thanks to the Rams. He was looking for a payday, plain and simple. He would have signed with Houston or Arizona if they offered 20 mil. 

DHop will sign a 10-12 mil incentive laden 2 year deal with a contender who has an elite level QB in the hopes of a championship. All the while at the same time boosting his stats to show future potential suitors he can still play.

Of course it's JMHO....

20 minutes ago, billsbackto81 said:

OBJ already has a ring thanks to the Rams. He was looking for a payday, plain and simple. He would have signed with Houston or Arizona if they offered 20 mil. 

DHop will sign a 10-12 mil incentive laden 2 year deal with a contender who has an elite level QB in the hopes of a championship. All the while at the same time boosting his stats to show future potential suitors he can still play.

Of course it's JMHO....

It seems like a fair compromise. Hopefully Beane is willing to get close enough….

5 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Slight correction they account for the full 11 and change in 2024. The money is paid already.

Yes, I meant they were paying for the dead cap hit, my wording sucked.

1 hour ago, NoSaint said:

Split it as a June 1 cut. So 3 years impact 

I’m almost ALMOST, sure, they don’t have any salary tied to 2024, so they can’t spread it because it’s automatically voided at the beginning of the year.  So without OBJ agreeing to a deal or essentially a payoff if he’s not staying, I think they take the full dead cap hit in 2024.

• Agree 1

He's clearly WORTH more but the most important ability is availability...........and that applies to free agency as well.

He wasn't available when teams had a lot more cap flexibility and weren't as committed to their plan/players than they are now.

If he doesn't get paid more than OBJ then NFL agents should use this as a prime example of why you don't f*ck with the team that's paying you even if you want out.    Their decision to wait until now to release him was pretty clearly punitive.

• Agree 1

My understanding is that DHop cannot seperate,  is pretty slow, is banged up and hardly ever practices.   Has great hands and just wins at the catch point.   But we already have a guy like that, Gabe Davis, on a much more favorable contract.   Why do I want another , albeit better one , who will trash my salary cap.?    He looks like another aging, injured shiny object looking to cash one more giant contract.  

13 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Y05nRm2.png

Here are the OBJ details.

1yr/$15M, but spread out over 5 years for a cap hit of ~$3M/yr

I'd bet Hopkins will get more since he has been healthy and playing, and probably more than 1 year, but it will be structured with void years as well.

Imagine having OBJ on your team giving that contract they don’t win the Super Bowl checks out and they’re sitting there with $3 million cap. Hits with no player as a Fanbase we would be so pissed.

3 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

Imagine having OBJ on your team giving that contract they don’t win the Super Bowl checks out and they’re sitting there with $3 million cap. Hits with no player as a Fanbase we would be so pissed.

exactly why you don't pay DHop.  Josh is going to be good/great for 10 years.   No more shiny, old, bangedup  objects Beane.  Keep building your roster.  The SB chances will come.  Trust the process.  

On 6/1/2023 at 11:56 AM, Chaos said:

Will DeAndre Hopklns Next Contract have a value Higher, Lower or the Same as OBJ's contract?

There are reports that a Chiefs deal with Cardinals was almost complete, and was derailed by the OBJ contract, because DHOP believes  he should be paid more.  The poll question is not asking is DHOP worth more or less.  The question is strictly on where you think DHOPs contract value ends up vs. OBJs.

Baltimore overpaid for OBJ.  No team wanted to give him that deal.  Even KC was rumored to be waiting for the price to drop.  Much like Cleveland signing Watson to guaranteed money, the OBJ overpay messed up the veteran WR market for the time being 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.