Chuck Pollock retiring from Olean Times Herald after 50 years

I liked occasionally reading his columns. He has an old-school style and perspective that I'll miss, as the internet void gets filled by barely-literate, glorified bloggers with no particular inside information and opinions passed on as "knowledge."

Now get off my lawn!!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Given that his stuff wasn't behind a paywall (at least most of it), I have read his column a number of times in recent years.  I thought his stuff was solid, particularly his Sabres articles.  Nothing earth-shattering one way or another, but good, solid, old school sportswriting.  I thought his writing was fairly high caliber, considering the size of the market he was operating out of.  I wish him well in retirement.  I hope that this was a planned retirement and not a forced one.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, BigAl2526 said:

I remember reading his articles in the Times Herald when I was in college.  I'm 71 now.

Likewise, he was my source of Bills' news in my youth (not in my 70's yet 😀) as that was my family's newspaper down in that area. Unlike today's internet age with a plethora of info at your finger tips, one back then was dependent on a decent reporter to get any depth of football news.

Edited by JaBu

Had the privilege of working with this man for a time before I ran hard and fast for the newsroom door and left the industry behind. He is a genuinely nice man and deserves better than that dying old newspaper (he says he’s not retiring).

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

All the very best on your retirement,  Chuck.  I've enjoyed reading your articles for many years now. 

As others have mentioned, Chuck had an "old school" style of writing that you don't see often anymore. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.