A.J. Klein: "This Defense Will Be More Aggressive" | One Bills Live | Buffalo Bills

Punching Bag

18 minutes ago, JohnBonhamRocks said:

Maybe the single worst look by a Bill on a given play I ever watched live. Making Chad look like he had any sort of moves is just… no. Haha

Yep.  The only other contender I can think of is Josh Norman getting tossed like a rag doll by Derrick Henry.  Truly embarrassing not only for him, but for Bills fans forced to watch that replay ad infinitum with their non-Bills fan friends😅  At least Henry is a beast, Chad....nah!

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, HurlyBurly51 said:

Yep.  The only other contender I can think of is Josh Norman getting tossed like a rag doll by Derrick Henry.  Truly embarrassing not only for him, but for Bills fans forced to watch that replay ad infinitum with their non-Bills fan friends😅  At least Henry is a beast, Chad....nah!

Plus Pennington’s play was I believe a game-winning TD while Henry’s play didn’t count IIRC. 

2 hours ago, arcane said:

the WRs you want to mangle at the line with press man coverage would burn our DBs so quick

I watched the Chiefs rookie CBs press the Bengals WRs in the AFCCG. It kept the WRs occupied long enough for the Chiefs pass rush to take advantage of the Bengals banged up OL. You don't think our more experienced CBs and the press man CB that we drafted in the 1st round could have handled that responsibility?

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

59 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

You think Miami and Cinci defenses in last year's playoff games were aggressive or passive? 

I will take this one on. I spend time on different teams popular podcasts "know thy enemy". I show my respect on these pods and over the years they have given me mods on these pods.. So just from them talking, I have a stronger idea on how their teams a run.

Just to start out, some on these boards feel this team has not been aggressive. Defense that seems to Blitz are teams that struggle on the defensive line a ton. Buffalo was per pff (https://www.pff.com/news/team-blitzing) the 4th most Blitzing team in the NFL. I think 4th most Blitzing team in the NFL... That number may shock some of you. But to be honest. Blitz is not the only thing that makes a team aggressive. It is how you go about doing it. 

That being said let's talk Miami. Miami was the 6th leading Blitzer last year... but it was how they did it. Many times, when Miami Blitz, they love to play bump and run. this is VERY aggressive because if that blitz is picked up, but even more was how they Blitzed. Miami loved Delayed Bitz, going around or inside Chubb or Phillips. and when they did that, they ran a tight (within 15 yard) zone forcing you to sit in the pocket a little longer to find that open man. 

Cinci is different. way different. Ranked 26th in the league in blitzing. They love to bump and run all day long and get physical at the line of scrimmage on most downs. 

They also loved being sneaky with their safety's, spying on QB's and at times... played lots of 3 safety packages that just made it difficult to pass in. In that way of play? Very aggressive. 

In short, I feel Buffalo was trying to be aggressive last year, but how they were going about it was all wrong. On top of all that? The massive DB Injuries destroyed what this team liked to run. We have a physical at line of scrimmage guy named Elam. We need to use and abuse that ability more often. Our problem is.. Tre White is not that aggressive type of player at the line. For this team to be aggressive, we need to scheme better. We need to do more of what the 49'ers do. Same play a mix of zone and man. It is not our play calling that lacks aggression, it is our scheme. 

IF it is the same scheme then we will still have that team that destroys teams that do not have a top 5 QB, and struggle with the rest. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

24 minutes ago, DJB said:

Dorsey is a 100% taking the fall if we falter 

But what if the defense is good and the offense is still looking like the second half of the season last year?

Is that not a valid reason  If he's the HC and DC and is giving Dorsey weapons and protection in the off season and letting him run his offense then what's the complaint.  Giving Dorsey too much control?

Edited by The Wiz

It always has made sense to be aggressive af during the Allen era.  

Give up a big play - who cares.   Gets us the ball back quicker.  Gets our D off the field.  

No long drives bc we were good with bending that only may tire us out at the end of games.  

You can play like that situationally like when you can’t give up a big play late in games or when we go up 2 scores early in the 4th and don’t want to give up a big play too allow them to get back in it.  

Aggressive early.  Safe when necessary.  Being aggressive all the time is as dumb as being safe all the time.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

Still having nightmares of Burrow carving up the Bills defense.  Safeties are aging, MLB gone, mediocre D-Line,  and White and Miller huge question marks entering 2023.  With Dabol gone and D in transition, Cinncy and Miami legit threats, feel Super Bowl window has closed.

39 minutes ago, PrimeTime101 said:

I will take this one on. I spend time on different teams popular podcasts "know thy enemy". I show my respect on these pods and over the years they have given me mods on these pods.. So just from them talking, I have a stronger idea on how their teams a run.

Just to start out, some on these boards feel this team has not been aggressive. Defense that seems to Blitz are teams that struggle on the defensive line a ton. Buffalo was per pff (https://www.pff.com/news/team-blitzing) the 4th most Blitzing team in the NFL. I think 4th most Blitzing team in the NFL... That number may shock some of you. But to be honest. Blitz is not the only thing that makes a team aggressive. It is how you go about doing it. 

That being said let's talk Miami. Miami was the 6th leading Blitzer last year... but it was how they did it. Many times, when Miami Blitz, they love to play bump and run. this is VERY aggressive because if that blitz is picked up, but even more was how they Blitzed. Miami loved Delayed Bitz, going around or inside Chubb or Phillips. and when they did that, they ran a tight (within 15 yard) zone forcing you to sit in the pocket a little longer to find that open man. 

Cinci is different. way different. Ranked 26th in the league in blitzing. They love to bump and run all day long and get physical at the line of scrimmage on most downs. 

They also loved being sneaky with their safety's, spying on QB's and at times... played lots of 3 safety packages that just made it difficult to pass in. In that way of play? Very aggressive. 

In short, I feel Buffalo was trying to be aggressive last year, but how they were going about it was all wrong. On top of all that? The massive DB Injuries destroyed what this team liked to run. We have a physical at line of scrimmage guy named Elam. We need to use and abuse that ability more often. Our problem is.. Tre White is not that aggressive type of player at the line. For this team to be aggressive, we need to scheme better. We need to do more of what the 49'ers do. Same play a mix of zone and man. It is not our play calling that lacks aggression, it is our scheme. 

IF it is the same scheme then we will still have that team that destroys teams that do not have a top 5 QB, and struggle with the rest. 

Fantastic post! Great insight and breakdown. 

Agree the coaching schemes have been problematic. Seems to work well in the regular season but not so much come playoff time. 

I really wanted Fangio to get hired by the Bills. I think he will instantly make the Dolphin defense much better. 

I really wanted Sean Payton hired as the head coach and take on OC duties. 

I just have a hard time thinking McD and Dorsey can get this team over the hump. We will find out soon. 

38 minutes ago, DJB said:

Dorsey is a 100% taking the fall if we falter 

No doubt. 

56 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I watched the Chiefs rookie CBs press the Bengals WRs in the AFCCG. It kept the WRs occupied long enough for the Chiefs pass rush to take advantage of the Bengals banged up OL. You don't think our more experienced CBs and the press man CB that we drafted in the 1st round could have handled that responsibility?

Like another poster talked about its scheme related. The Bills coaching staff doesn't put the players in the best position to succeed. Fraizer and Dorsey were poster boys for this. 

5 minutes ago, Mr. Wonderful said:

Still having nightmares of Burrow carving up the Bills defense.  Safeties are aging, MLB gone, mediocre D-Line,  and White and Miller huge question marks entering 2023.  With Dabol gone and D in transition, Cinncy and Miami legit threats, feel Super Bowl window has closed.

I feel very similar. Imho, it's not closed but the missed opportunities are mounting. As each year passes with disappointment my confidence fades. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, HurlyBurly51 said:

SMH......................

14 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

Fantastic post! Great insight and breakdown. 

Agree the coaching schemes have been problematic. Seems to work well in the regular season but not so much come playoff time. 

I really wanted Fangio to get hired by the Bills. I think he will instantly make the Dolphin defense much better. 

I really wanted Sean Payton hired as the head coach and take on OC duties. 

I just have a hard time thinking McD and Dorsey can get this team over the hump. We will find out soon. 

I think you have to look at this more cup half full. Our old DC and Current HC worked out a scheme that both agreed to. This is going to be a new defensive scheme especially with no Edmunds. Have some faith. Last year our defense was beat up.

On the offensive side of the ball and O line needed to be fixed and a good weapon added. I think we got both done. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, PrimeTime101 said:

I think you have to look at this more cup half full. Our old DC and Current HC worked out a scheme that both agreed to. This is going to be a new defensive scheme especially with no Edmunds. Have some faith. Last year our defense was beat up.

On the offensive side of the ball and O line needed to be fixed and a good weapon added. I think we got both done. 

That's fair. I hope you are correct. 

• Like (+1) 1

53 minutes ago, PrimeTime101 said:

Lorenzo Alexander was the puzzle piece defense was based on in 2017. 

🥳Happy 40th Birthday Zo! 🥳

He demonstrated his abilities in 2016 showing so many things he could do while getting pro bowl nomination.

In 2018 Edmunds was signed and defense was altered to have Edmunds take away larger area of field than normally done.

Bills defense are going to need to find a new base for their defense and it will be a different scheme than we used last 5 years.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

Lorenzo Alexander was the puzzle piece defense was based on in 2017. 

🥳Happy 40th Birthday Zo! 🥳

He demonstrated his abilities in 2016 showing so many things he could do while getting pro bowl nomination.

In 2018 Edmunds was signed and defense was altered to have Edmunds take away larger area of field than normally done.

Bills defense are going to need to find a new base for their defense and it will be a different scheme than we used last 5 years.

This is what I have been trying to say, but some people lol 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.