A.J. Klein: "This Defense Will Be More Aggressive" | One Bills Live | Buffalo Bills

Punching Bag

Milano demonstrates leadership by action and AJ by being a leader in knowledge. Bills did not want to lose him but had salary cap issues. Now that Edmunds is not on defense it will not be designed around physical attributes (wing span) other LBs can not match. I can see AJ starting season as QB of the defense and I think a player who can communicate well and explain to rest of player what needs to be done will help defense.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Sad 2
  • Shocked 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 4

45 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

Milano demonstrates leadership by action and AJ by being a leader in knowledge. Bills did not want to lose him but had salary cap issues. Now that Edmunds is not on defense it will not be designed around physical attributes (wing span) other LBs can not match. I can see AJ starting season as QB of the defense and I think a player who can communicate well and explain to rest of player what needs to be done will help defense.

Klein sounds like he would make a great coach down the line if he decides he wants to do that.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 4

Let's assume it is more aggressive which I doubt. 

Why the wait? Why would the HC allow the DC to run a less passive scheme than what the HC wants?

Again, I want McD calling the plays so there is no doubt who is in charge of the defense. If he truly is more aggressive then great. 

Keep in mind arguably the greatest play in Bills history was a pick six by Taron Johnson paying zone coverage in the red zone with a four man rush. 

• Vomit 1
  • Eyeroll 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

22 minutes ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Why the wait? Why would the HC allow the DC to run a less passive scheme than what the HC wants?

Again, I want McD calling the plays so there is no doubt who is in charge of the defense. If he truly is more aggressive then great. 

Keep in mind arguably the greatest play in Bills history was a pick six by Taron Johnson paying zone coverage in the red zone with a four man rush. 

Because more aggressive = more mistakes.  

• Disagree 2
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

I'm really looking forward to seeing this defense ran by McD. A healthy Hyde and Poyer. White bouncing back a bit. The return of Von. Year 2 of the young CBs. And new look ways to get pressure on the QB...this defense has potential to be really solid.

McD. should've taken the reins years ago!! 

15 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Because more aggressive = more mistakes.  

No riskit, no biskit!!! 

50 minutes ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

And why did he allow Frazier to run it for the last 3 years while KC & Cincy dismantled us in the playoffs. In theory McD should be more aggressive and willing to call more press coverage opportunities. But assuming it happens and actually seeing it are 2 different things.  Sean has no one left to take the fall (Farwell, Frazier).

• Like (+1) 3

53 minutes ago, JohnBonhamRocks said:

From 12 yard to 8 yard cushions? Gasp!

This is honestly such bad football talk 

hurr durrr, da bills isnt aggressive enough!! They, er, don't blitz enough, and they use soft zone coverage! Ha! 

Do you have any data that shows the Bills are "soft" more than other teams? Do you have data that shows teams use press coverage in more situations, resulting in better outcomes, than the Bills D? Because statistically, the Bills D gets better outcomes than the vast majority of the league. Statistically, more 'aggressive' defense against the top flight QBs brings WORSE results for that defense. This is why teams never play man against Josh, or Mahomes. It's why they never blitzed Brady or Manning. This is a huge reason why our screen game is bad - all eyes in the backfield, rare blitzing (which screens can torch). The QBs you want to pound into submission have mastered avoiding that and destroying defenses that try it, and the WRs you want to mangle at the line with press man coverage would burn our DBs so quick (because you can't have Allen, and Diggs, and Miller, and Milano, and Sauce, and Ramsey etc.) that you and he would again be the first person in the thread bitching about the coaching and how terrible the Bills are. How many times did the Bills blitz Mike White? they change their formula based on their opponent, and their reasoning is on a level so far beyond the fans that throw tomatoes it's embarrassing

I'd love Einstein or you to teach me something about these defensive splits for the Bills and the league, but it's all vague complaining and screenshots of the same play against cinci which was by definition the most aggressive defensive call in the book (and backfired). It's not the critique, it's that it's dumb critique for the sake of critiquing 

• Disagree 1
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 6
  • Thank you (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Because McDermott’s seat is getting warmer (even if people don’t want to believe it).

• Vomit 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Dr. Who said:

Klein sounds like he would make a great coach down the line if he decides he wants to do that.

1 hour ago, Limeaid said:

His fellow players call him "coach Klein" including Micah Hyde.

I remember when Eddie Robinson was our coach on the field, and Chad Pennington dunked on him with the ‘ol dead leg😂 

• Vomit 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

I think that while McDermott and Frazier start with the same basic defensive scheme, they have never been in philosophical lockstep with each other.  Since McDermott hired him to coordinate the defense, and Frazier is certainly competent in doing that job, McDermott trusted him and allowed him to run the defense in the way that he (Frazier) wanted to run it.   I would be shocked if the defense wasn't more aggressive.

• Agree 3

1 hour ago, arcane said:

This is honestly such bad football talk 

hurr durrr, da bills isnt aggressive enough!! They, er, don't blitz enough, and they use soft zone coverage! Ha! 

Do you have any data that shows the Bills are "soft" more than other teams? Do you have data that shows teams use press coverage in more situations, resulting in better outcomes, than the Bills D? Because statistically, the Bills D gets better outcomes than the vast majority of the league. Statistically, more 'aggressive' defense against the top flight QBs brings WORSE results for that defense. This is why teams never play man against Josh, or Mahomes. It's why they never blitzed Brady or Manning. This is a huge reason why our screen game is bad - all eyes in the backfield, rare blitzing (which screens can torch). The QBs you want to pound into submission have mastered avoiding that and destroying defenses that try it, and the WRs you want to mangle at the line with press man coverage would burn our DBs so quick (because you can't have Allen, and Diggs, and Miller, and Milano, and Sauce, and Ramsey etc.) that you and he would again be the first person in the thread bitching about the coaching and how terrible the Bills are. How many times did the Bills blitz Mike White? they change their formula based on their opponent, and their reasoning is on a level so far beyond the fans that throw tomatoes it's embarrassing

I'd love Einstein or you to teach me something about these defensive splits for the Bills and the league, but it's all vague complaining and screenshots of the same play against cinci which was by definition the most aggressive defensive call in the book (and backfired). It's not the critique, it's that it's dumb critique for the sake of critiquing 

I was making a joke. But I do actually believe the defense will be more aggressive under McDermott than under Frazier, and that my expected increase in aggression is a needed development for the defense and the team.

Regardless, I have presented as many statistics as you - zero - regarding the Bills defense and aggression. Repeating agreed upon truths - like top QBs beat the blitz - isn’t really making a point. And I have no clue what you’re saying about people complaining - is it don’t try to challenge top QBs? Someone should have told that to the Jets, Dolphins, and Bengals last year.

But yeah, the defense has been good in the season and then too soft and frankly lost in the clutch games and playoffs. So, their overall stats look good, but personally I want to get to and win a Super Bowl which is usually done by teams with aggressive defenses that can disrupt and dictate what those top QBs and offenses do. It’s not just blitzing more, but includes jamming WRs at the line, stacking boxes, and generally abandoning the bend-but-don’t-break mindset. 

9 minutes ago, HurlyBurly51 said:

I remember when Eddie Robinson was our coach on the field, and Chad Pennington dunked on him with the ‘ol dead leg😂 

Maybe the single worst look by a Bill on a given play I ever watched live. Making Chad look like he had any sort of moves is just… no. Haha

Edited by JohnBonhamRocks

2 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

And why did he allow Frazier to run it for the last 3 years while KC & Cincy dismantled us in the playoffs. In theory McD should be more aggressive and willing to call more press coverage opportunities. But assuming it happens and actually seeing it are 2 different things.  Sean has no one left to take the fall (Farwell, Frazier).

It’s going to happen.  For sure.  

He has Dorsey to take the next fall

• Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.