Leslie Frazier: Hopefully I’ll have a chance to interview for head coaching jobs in 2024

JohnNord

4 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

No it doesn’t … it starts when it’s touched AND you’re allowed to give yourself up killing zero time 

I'm almost positive the Chiefs squibbed the last kickoff vs Eagles in the Super Bowl and a couple seconds ran off the clock before the guy fell on it

• Disagree 1

7 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

You can fall on a squib kick without killing any time… they could’ve had it at the 25 with no time lost 

that’s a fact … it’s not a guarantee you kill 5 seconds and hold them behind the 25

they could fall on it at the 25-30

We will never know what happened, but it appeared to be a major major mistake and coat Farwell his job.

Odds are in your favor to take at least some time off the clock...

Great example, week 6 vs Chiefs...we score a TD with 16 seconds left.  Guess what happened next: squib kick (not even a great one), picked up at the 20 and returned to the 28, took 4 seconds off the clock.

That's about as comparable as we'll ever get/prediction as to what would gave occurred.  That would have, in most likelihood, been enough to win

Just now, GoBills808 said:

I'm almost positive the Chiefs squibbed the last kickoff vs Eagles in the Super Bowl and a couple seconds ran off the clock before the guy fell on it

I’m 100% positive the clock doesn’t start until it is touched 

If that Happened it’s a clock error … 

im 100% sure of the rule 

1 minute ago, MasterStrategist said:

We will never know what happened, but it appeared to be a major major mistake and coat Farwell his job.

Odds are in your favor to take at least some time off the clock...

Great example, week 6 vs Chiefs...we score a TD with 16 seconds left.  Guess what happened next: squib kick (not even a great one), picked up at the 20 and returned to the 28, took 4 seconds off the clock.

That's about as comparable as we'll ever get/prediction as to what would gave occurred.  That would have, in most likelihood, been enough to win

And the chiefs went down and scored… and it wasn’t a life or death playoff … if it was they might of fell on it

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

I’m 100% positive the clock doesn’t start until it is touched 

If that Happened it’s a clock error … 

im 100% sure of the rule 

And the chiefs went down and scored… and it wasn’t a life or death playoff … if it was they might of fell on it

They scored with 1 second (week 6 game), which would have been time expired in the playoff game.

And yes, perhaps they fall on it in playoff game at the 20.  That sets them back 5 yards and might have been the difference. 

Point is you squib 100x out of 100.  And the prior poster is correct, that was the more aggregious blunder of the infamous 13 seconds 

That also doesn't exonerate Frazier/defense.  I'm glad he's taking a year off, we needed a change...hopefully Coach can get this defense to be more clutch.

Edited by MasterStrategist

Just now, MasterStrategist said:

They scored with 1 second (week 6 game), which would have been time expired in the playoff game.

And yes, perhaps they fall on it in playoff game at the 20.  That sets them back 5 yards and might have been the difference. 

Point is you squib 100x out of 100.  And the prior poster is correct, that was the more aggregious blunder of the infamous 13 seconds 

They could’ve got the squib at the 30…. Point is Nobody knows how a squib woulda worked in the playoff 

BECAUSE you can fall on it at the 25-30… even 35… it’s not a guarantee you pin them behind the 20

thats true devils advocate … squib kick doesn’t guarantee a win

• Eyeroll 1

7 hours ago, wppete said:

He will definitely get interviews. Highly doubt anyone hires him as a Head Coach….. BTW I thought he was taking a year off and coming back as the Bills DC? 😂 

A return to the Bills was one of several possibilities for Frazier.   It is still a possibility until either the Bills or Frazier rule it out, but it may never have been the most likely possibility.  Frazier has always hoped for another crack at a head coaching gig, and the Bills may well decide to go in a different direction anyway after McDermott tries his hand at calling defensive plays.

2 hours ago, holla83 said:

The Chiefs had all three timeouts left. The Bills played off and protected the sidelines. Middle of the field was wide open. It was garbage coaching. Not even up for debate. Squib kick and play your normal defense, the Bills win the game!

Yep, and everyone recognized that and then went on with their lives. They didn't dwell on it like Bills fans continue to do.

1 hour ago, Chaos said:

25 years from now, there is some reason to discuss the Bills under Sean McDermott during the week break between the championship games, and the Super Bowl.  What do you think headlines this NATIONAL TV discussion. (This assumes there is still a nation, TVs, the NFL, and the Super Bowl. all of which is questionalble) 

I don't understand your question. Are you asking if people will be discussing those couple of plays 25 years from now?

• Disagree 2
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, StHustle said:

I gotta say I hate this argument. McD has a headset on and overhears the play calls and at the late stage of the game should have been right next to Leslie discussing the strategy. Furthermore it’s HIGHLY unlikely he makes that mistake again. You can’t judge a man’s whole value as a coach based on one series. Leslie as HC with a good defensive coordinator can do we’ll. Definitely better than a number of current HCs.

With all that said, enjoy retirement Leslie.

You do realize that Leslie literally made the same mistake against the Chiefs last year, letting them score w/ 15 seconds before the half.  Excited to see what Sean can do with the Def.  

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I think only way Frazer gets a head coach job if a team is falling apart and they need someone to help fix the relationships in it.

It is something he has shown he can do well.  All of the players respect him.

As part of agreement signing him team front office may dictate to him he needs to keep a promising coach who needs seasoning and is promised to be next head coach position.

11 hours ago, JohnNord said:

Former Bills Defensive coach Leslie Frazier spoke to Albert Breer of Si.com.  He is saying that he’s optimistic to get a HC job in 2024, and his plan to step away this season was to “re-charge” to prepare for a HC position.  

Most interesting quote was:

”Hopefully, an owner will give me a chance to talk to him about an opportunity,” Frazier said. “If that doesn’t happen, I’m good. I’ve had a good career. I’m good. My goal is to be a head coach. I know I don’t have much time left, I’m at an age where it seems like owners are going younger and younger, but I think I have some things I can bring to the table. We’ll see what happens.”

Does this mean that Les is retired unless he can find a HC spot?

Contrary to what some may say, his defenses always rank at the NFL.  Believe it or not,  If you look at the totality of his defensive rankings the past few years, he has a stronger resume than Vic “the genius” Fangio.  

With that being said, if HC is his goal, it’s going to ridiculously tough to catch on after the way the 2022 season ended.  

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2023/05/30/leslie-frazier-hopefully-ill-have-a-chance-to-interview-for-head-coaching-jobs-in-2024/

Good for him... don't let the door hit him in the **** on the way out. 13 seconds. As Chef Ramsey would say

The Fish is Raw... Our new defense is going to crush Miami. :D BILLIEVE!

giphy.gif 

5 hours ago, TheWeatherMan said:

You do realize that Leslie literally made the same mistake against the Chiefs last year, letting them score w/ 15 seconds before the half.  Excited to see what Sean can do with the Def.  

I'd argue the rest of the game was his greatest performance as defensive coordinator.  Effectively blitzing Mahomes which is a feat in itself.  Playing a 3-2-6 dime package they rarely showed before confusing Mahomes and Reid.  Playing different coverage concepts on both sides of the field on the same play.  Where was this ingenuity when it mattered?  I get not having Von hurt them in that regards against the Bengals but still....that game plan against them was just awful.

12 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

A power house who have won all of 0 SBs and 0 conference championships… He’d have more respect had his(and Sean’s)defenses not ***** the bed in every elimination game since coming here.

Held the Jaguars to 10 points in 2017 season.  Held the Ravens to 3 points in 2020.  Held the Patriots to 17 points (seven of them in garbage time) in 2021.  All elimination games.  Average defensive performance against the Texans, Colts, and Fish.  All elimination games.  If your point was they were awful against elite offenses in the playoffs then I'd agree with that.

• Agree 2

9 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

You can fall on a squib kick without killing any time… they could’ve had it at the 25 with no time lost 

that’s a fact … it’s not a guarantee you kill 5 seconds and hold them behind the 25

they could fall on it at the 25-30

good point... I meant to say kick it in the field of play force them to return it.   like Bass had been doing all season..  just a complete failure of coach to player communication.   I still cannot understand why no one in the media has not pressed to get to the bottom of this.  

16 hours ago, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

He certainly deserves another coordinator spot. He’s had a top 10 unit every year in BUF. 13 seconds is squarely on McDermott who has authority over everyone. 

I mean yes and no. 

Frazier called those 2 defensive plays not McD

I still think Hill taking it to the house on their previous possession got into Fraziers head and he went super conservative to avoid something like that 

11 hours ago, Beck Water said:

The man was born in a town of 25,000 people nicknamed "Possum City".  He didn't know his father.  His grandmother raised him while his mother struggled with substance abuse.  "I'm going to college"  Probably someone told him, "You're delusional"

Went to a HBCU in Mississippi.  "I'm going to play in the NFL"  Probably someone told him,  "You're delusional"

Especially after he tore his hammy his Jr year then skipped his Sr season and declared for the draft.

Wasn't drafted - it woulda been long odds with the injury and from a small school. 

Signed as an UDFA with the Bears.  "I'm going to be a starter" Probably someone told him, "You're delusional"

Became a starter.  Played in the Superbowl on what may have been one of the greatest defenses ever.  Injured during the Superbowl, couldn't come back from it.

"I'm going to be a football coach".  Probably someone told him "You're delusional".  First HC for Trinity College, built the program from the ground up.

Jumped to an assistant position in a big college program 1 year, then to the NFL.  Rest is easily discoverable.

I can't tell you if Frazier will be given the chance to become a HC in the NFL, but I can tell you for sure he's overcome pretty steep odds to his previous achievements.

I think he probably looked methodically at what he thought he needed to do to get the HC gig he wanted, and that he wasn't going to be able to do that while giving his full attention as DC of the Bills.

Personally, I wouldn't bet against him.  Wouldn't bet on him, either of course - there are only a few of those gigs up for grabs each year.

I wasn't commenting on his character at all.  But he is delusional if he thinks at his age and with his record that he would get another job as an NFL HC.

His chance to become one has been given to him  since he was fired as a HC years ago---mainly that was as DC for the Bills.  While he certainly can now give it his full attention, I don't know how being unemployed looks methodically like what one would need to do to get a HC gig...

20 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

I wasn't commenting on his character at all.  But he is delusional if he thinks at his age and with his record that he would get another job as an NFL HC.

His chance to become one has been given to him  since he was fired as a HC years ago---mainly that was as DC for the Bills.  While he certainly can now give it his full attention, I don't know how being unemployed looks methodically like what one would need to do to get a HC gig...

Nor me. He has had 5 interviews I think while he has been the Bills DC. His best chances were Indy after McDaniels bailed when they chose Frank Reich and Houston when they were in chaos and they chose Culley. Because his skillset is perfectly suited to dealing with turmoil. Where actually a team need someone to calm things down rather than fire them up. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.