Leslie Frazier: Hopefully I’ll have a chance to interview for head coaching jobs in 2024

JohnNord

Frazier seemed inflexible as a DC. It was the same stale scheme lacking any sort of innovation that the Bengals called basic. He had an over reliance on his front four and aside from Von no one could get back there with regularity. The Eagles were the model for how this scheme was supposed to be ran, their front set records. Look what happened once a gimpy Mahomes figured them out. I’ll take a Lou Anarumo type over a Leslie Frazier type any day of the week. He seems to scheme opponent specific. Let’s see how McD does calling the shots. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Don Otreply said:

That would be true if he had shown the ability to adapt in other elimination games, bit alas, it was not to be.

Les a good guy, and there is no argument in that, but his time is over, retirement beckons…,

He is a good coach. I would not want him as my head coach for sure. And I thought it was the right time to move on from him as defensive coordinator as well.

If I had a young team just starting out with a new regime and QB, etc., he would be an excellent candidate for defensive coordinator. But it sounds like he is not interested in a coordinator position anymore.

But I don't think "13 seconds" is a major decider for anyone but Bills fans. Yeah, it would be one thing that might be considered, along with other failures, and they would consider all of his successes as well. Nobody obsesses about "13 seconds" like that besides Bills fans. For everyone else, it was just an exciting moment in an exciting game and spoke more about Mahomes and the Chiefs.

4 hours ago, DCbillsfan said:

If this is all true, this is a bizarre way to attract a HC opportunity.  Would have been way better off staying as the Bills DC and get over the hump.  That's how you create demand for yourself.

I don’t think Frazier had that option IMO.  The year off narrative was the Bills being respectful and giving him a story to tell to fight again another day.

Thank you for your service and enjoy retirement.

1 hour ago, ScottLaw said:

Solid coach. Great regular season coach. Was absolutely taken to the wood shed in the playoffs against good/elite QBs not named Lamar Jackson…. Helped bring the Bills from a laughing stock to respectability…. But those are low standards IMO.

Agreed!

1 hour ago, MJS said:

He is a good coach. I would not want him as my head coach for sure. And I thought it was the right time to move on from him as defensive coordinator as well.

If I had a young team just starting out with a new regime and QB, etc., he would be an excellent candidate for defensive coordinator. But it sounds like he is not interested in a coordinator position anymore.

But I don't think "13 seconds" is a major decider for anyone but Bills fans. Yeah, it would be one thing that might be considered, along with other failures, and they would consider all of his successes as well. Nobody obsesses about "13 seconds" like that besides Bills fans. For everyone else, it was just an exciting moment in an exciting game and spoke more about Mahomes and the Chiefs.

The Chiefs had all three timeouts left. The Bills played off and protected the sidelines. Middle of the field was wide open. It was garbage coaching. Not even up for debate. Squib kick and play your normal defense, the Bills win the game!

• Agree 1

48 minutes ago, MJS said:

I can only consider how I view it from my window as it were, but his apparent inability to flex his game plans stands out like the proverbial sore thumb, and every GM and owner is cognoscente of this. It is not just us first word sports fans, 😁👍

• Agree 2

4 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Leslie won't get a Head Coaching job. 64 year old, low key personality, defensive minded, retread is not a profile an owner can sell to a fanbase. 

That's it. 

If he doesn't want to be a DC anymore then he is retired. If he misses it and is willing to be a DC in 2024 expect every hotshot offensive coordinator who is a potential HC candidate to want to add Leslie's name to his ticket for DC. 

Would have to be a Lovie Smith in Houston type of hire.  And really - who wants to see that?

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

God bless him, but he's delusional.  

The man was born in a town of 25,000 people nicknamed "Possum City".  He didn't know his father.  His grandmother raised him while his mother struggled with substance abuse.  "I'm going to college"  Probably someone told him, "You're delusional"

Went to a HBCU in Mississippi.  "I'm going to play in the NFL"  Probably someone told him,  "You're delusional"

Especially after he tore his hammy his Jr year then skipped his Sr season and declared for the draft.

Wasn't drafted - it woulda been long odds with the injury and from a small school. 

Signed as an UDFA with the Bears.  "I'm going to be a starter" Probably someone told him, "You're delusional"

Became a starter.  Played in the Superbowl on what may have been one of the greatest defenses ever.  Injured during the Superbowl, couldn't come back from it.

"I'm going to be a football coach".  Probably someone told him "You're delusional".  First HC for Trinity College, built the program from the ground up.

Jumped to an assistant position in a big college program 1 year, then to the NFL.  Rest is easily discoverable.

I can't tell you if Frazier will be given the chance to become a HC in the NFL, but I can tell you for sure he's overcome pretty steep odds to his previous achievements.

I think he probably looked methodically at what he thought he needed to do to get the HC gig he wanted, and that he wasn't going to be able to do that while giving his full attention as DC of the Bills.

Personally, I wouldn't bet against him.  Wouldn't bet on him, either of course - there are only a few of those gigs up for grabs each year.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, MJS said:

For Bills fans.

25 years from now, there is some reason to discuss the Bills under Sean McDermott during the week break between the championship games, and the Super Bowl.  What do you think headlines this NATIONAL TV discussion. (This assumes there is still a nation, TVs, the NFL, and the Super Bowl. all of which is questionalble) 

6 hours ago, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

He certainly deserves another coordinator spot. He’s had a top 10 unit every year in BUF. 13 seconds is squarely on McDermott who has authority over everyone. 

13 is 1000% on d bag Heath Farwell for not getting the squib kick call in to Bass.   

Credit to McD for not throwing him under the bus publicly and letting him leave quietly.   

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

A power house who have won all of 0 SBs and 0 conference championships… He’d have more respect had his(and Sean’s)defenses not ***** the bed in every elimination game since coming here.

Have to agree with it...

Bills dropped a 17-0 lead against the Texans....When your linebackers are standing 20 feet beyond LOS  on a 3rd and 18

Chiefs drop 30+ points in AFC Championship game

13 seconds - enough said 

Allowed Joe Mixon and friends to run rough shod in our own back yard

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, Don Otreply said:

That would be true if he had shown the ability to adapt in other elimination games, bit alas, it was not to be.

Les a good guy, and there is no argument in that, but his time is over, retirement beckons…,

Not just elimination games.  He let the chiefs score with 15 seconds before the half in last years regular season game.  

• Agree 1

27 minutes ago, ProcessTruster said:

13 is 1000% on d bag Heath Farwell for not getting the squib kick call in to Bass.   

Credit to McD for not throwing him under the bus publicly and letting him leave quietly.   

You can fall on a squib kick without killing any time… they could’ve had it at the 25 with no time lost 

that’s a fact … it’s not a guarantee you kill 5 seconds and hold them behind the 25

they could fall on it at the 25-30

Edited by Buffalo716

6 hours ago, DCbillsfan said:

If this is all true, this is a bizarre way to attract a HC opportunity.  Would have been way better off staying as the Bills DC and get over the hump.  That's how you create demand for yourself.

Seems like he basically is saying either I'll get a head coaching shot again or I'm done coaching.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

You can fall on a squib kick without killing any time… they could’ve had it at the 25 with no time lost 

that’s a fact … it’s not a guarantee you kill 5 seconds and hold them behind the 25

they could fall on it at the 25-30

pretty sure the clock starts as soon as the ball hits the ground

1 minute ago, GoBills808 said:

pretty sure the clock starts as soon as the ball hits the ground

No it doesn’t … it starts when it’s touched AND you’re allowed to give yourself up killing zero time 

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.