Leslie Frazier: Hopefully I’ll have a chance to interview for head coaching jobs in 2024

JohnNord

Leslie won't get a Head Coaching job. 64 year old, low key personality, defensive minded, retread is not a profile an owner can sell to a fanbase. 

That's it. 

If he doesn't want to be a DC anymore then he is retired. If he misses it and is willing to be a DC in 2024 expect every hotshot offensive coordinator who is a potential HC candidate to want to add Leslie's name to his ticket for DC. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, Rigotz said:

My goal is to be CEO of Tesla but Elon Musk is slightly more qualified.

Maybe you can convince him to let you be CEO of Twitter…his Tesla shareholders would love you for it, and you… and 90% of the country for that matter… are probably more qualified than he is. 

• Vomit 2
  • Eyeroll 1

Here's the thing. There is absolutely a place in the NFL for a guy like Frazier to have seen another HC job. It just never materialized the way he hoped.

Teams that are coming off turmoil filled seasons often look to an older, mature steady coach as a transitional coach to get the franchise smooth again.

I honestly believe his best shout was a couple years ago when he interviewed with the Texans after the Bill O'Brien tenure. Would have been an ideal guy to come in and be basically the opposite of O'Brien. And the Texans hired that kind of coach as well, reaching for Dave Culley.  That was likely his last real shot. 

I don't see him getting a HC job now, at his age after taking a year off but stranger things have happened. I do think he ends up somewhere as a consultant or some other such title.  You can say all the negative things you want...but the man has a wealth of knowledge and football experience on his resume. 

13 minutes ago, boco357 said:

I don't know if he turned them down the Texans, but he lost out to David Culley if not.

IIRC, he was a finalist for that job along with Culley and someone else. Frazier ended up pulling his name pretty late in the process and the job went to Culley.

My gut feeling was always that he was getting that one and pulled out because of the way the Texans leadership was structured at that time. It was a job that was set up to fail and Frazier couldn't afford that at his age. I think they were just looking for a "yes man". Seeing how they dealt with Culley, Frazier made the right call.

Edited by BuffaloBillyG

Leslie has a problem, and it reflects poorly as a HC candidate, and it is his well known reticence to make meaningful adjustments during games when his game plan doesn’t work,  he has said as much, iirc in a post game interview, when I saw it I was stunned.  Leslie basically said the players would lose faith in him/his game planning if he did so, no really, and the thing is, every GM, has a staffer that has seen that short interview. Leslie is a good guy, there can be no argument there, but he has virtually no chance at being a head coach.

Retire Les, buy a metal detector and enjoy the time at the beach…, 

Being successful as a head coach isn't about scheme. I think people are misunderstanding that a lot. McDermott himself said on Pat McAfee that his role as a head coach is basically to let the coordinators coach and he is there to make sure he is coordinating things across the organization basically...a CEO sets expectations, sure, but they're not in implementation meetings talking about the tactical steps required to hit those expectations if that makes sense...McD said he is going to have to delegate a bunch of responsibilities in order to be able to take on the d coordinator position...he wasn't a quasi headcoach d coordinator, McD was solely a head coach.

Frazier seems like a person who would actually be a better head coach than d coordinator in a lot of ways.

• Agree 1

He might be able to land a HC position at a decent college program, but not a powerhouse school, nor an NFL team. Over age 60, the only guys who get hired for those gigs are the ones with long track records of success at HC - Andy Reid, Pete Carroll, etc. But you never know, he certainly has the credentials. 

25 minutes ago, MJS said:

Nobody cares about that besides Bills fans.

That would be true if he had shown the ability to adapt in other elimination games, bit alas, it was not to be.

Les a good guy, and there is no argument in that, but his time is over, retirement beckons…,

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

He certainly deserves another coordinator spot. He’s had a top 10 unit every year in BUF. 13 seconds is squarely on McDermott who has authority over everyone. 

I agree but Frazier is still not the guy to lead a real championship caliber defense. His soft tendencies work well statistically over the course of a long regular season, but not against the cream of the crop in the playoffs. Much respect to Leslie, but I'm glad he is gone

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

A power house who have won all of 0 SBs and 0 conference championships… He’d have more respect had his(and Sean’s)defenses not ***** the bed in every elimination game since coming here.

Narrow thinking IMO. But go with it. Judge every coach and player on how they play in their biggest game alone and not all games.

I get it. If you’re 3rd or 4th you’re no different than 32nd.

3 hours ago, TheWeatherMan said:

I can think of 13 solid reasons why he will never be a HC again in the NFL.  

I gotta say I hate this argument. McD has a headset on and overhears the play calls and at the late stage of the game should have been right next to Leslie discussing the strategy. Furthermore it’s HIGHLY unlikely he makes that mistake again. You can’t judge a man’s whole value as a coach based on one series. Leslie as HC with a good defensive coordinator can do we’ll. Definitely better than a number of current HCs.

With all that said, enjoy retirement Leslie.

• Like (+1) 2

17 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Solid coach. Great regular season coach. Was absolutely taken to the wood shed in the playoffs against good/elite QBs not named Lamar Jackson…. Helped bring the Bills from a laughing stock to respectability…. But those are low standards IMO.

Low standards? They aren’t the Marvin Lewis Bengals that never won a playoff game but made it every year. I’m very happy with current results. Maybe I just have more respect for what it takes to win a Super Bowl. It’s the goal but I won’t criticize a coach for not getting there.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.