Reasons for optimism, pessimism

finn

7 hours ago, finn said:

Reasons to be optimistic about the season:

--Many key players are in their prime, including Allen, Diggs, Davis, Dawkins, Harris, Knox, Oliver, Milano, and White.

--Oliver is in his contract year, so he may finally live up to his draft status. 

--Allen, Davis, Poyer, Hyde, and Brown are all healthy, and White is another year past his ACL injury.  

--Knox has had a year to recover from losing his brother, and the team has had the offseason to recover from Hamlin, Tops, etc. 

--Beane has done a good job upgrading the depth, adding Poona, Edwards, Sherfield, Harty, Murray, and Shell, as well as bringing back key veterans like Lawson and Martin.

--McDermott takes over DC duties. Conceivably, this could be a negative, but he won the head coach job because he was a very effective DC, so odds are he'll do great. 

--Dorsey, Kromer, Smiley, Babich, and Brady all have a year's worth of experience with their respective charges, which can only help. 

--Last year's rookies all look ready to contribute more than last year, especially Elam, Cook, Benford, and Shakir. 

--This year's rookies should make valuable contributions, and Kincaid, Torrence, and Williams may end up starting. 

--They are no longer the media darlings anymore, which might take some of the pressure off. 

Reasons for pessimism:

--Diggs' prima donna act may get worse and become a distraction.

--They now need to get past not just the Chiefs, but also the Bengals, Dolphins, Jets, and maybe Ravens. 

--They have no real backup for Dawkins. 

--Their pass rush will likely continue to be mediocre until Miller returns. 

--The offensive line may have two new starters and will take time to jell. 

--Kincaid, Harty, Shorter, and Sheffield might not add enough juice, even taken together. 

As you see, reasons for optimism outnumber reasons for pessimism. But it's only May!

That was well thought out and right on the money. Anyone who is a serious Bills observer would have to agree with your assessment. The most concerning point you made is the ? mark hanging over the D-line without Miller and his effectiveness when he returns. I still think the addition of an Ingram, Houston or Floyd would be the answer to our defensive shortcomings. I have no worries about our receiving room or any doubt that Kincaid and Sherfeld  will add a positive dimension to our offense. With the interior line upgraded and depth added to the tackle position , look for Josh to have a better conventional running game and better protection. Dorsey’s evolution is also concerning until it isn’t.

I have many reasons for optimism.  My main reason for pessimism is that the Bills may not be able to adequately replace the unique combination of size and athleticism that they had at middle linebacker with Tremaine Edmunds.  I'm a little concerned that if Von Miller is not 100% to start the season the defensive ends could struggle again to get pressure on opposing QBs.   I think the offensive line is going to be fine, maybe not the best in the league, but better than they have been.   I think the running game will be more dependable on offense.  I think the offense is going to cut down on turnovers.  Barring injury I think the defensive secondary is going to be much better. I expect marginal improvement from the interior defensive line in run stopping.

12 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

I've gotten beyond optimism and pessimism.   Winning a Super Bowl is difficult.  The Bills have enough on offense and defense to do it.  They either will do it, and people's optimism will be justified, or they won't, and people's pessimism will be justified.

I watched the Celtics lose last night, and kept thinking that they are a team that just doesn't have the toughness, including the winner's attitude, to win the championship.  As I watched, I worried that that could describe the Bills, too.    It would break McDermott's heart to admit that his team isn't tough enough to win, and it's up to him to prove that they are. 

I agree with my old friend about "toughness" on the Bills.  Too many tacklers and not enough hitters.  

9 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

That is your view. It isn't mine. The Bills sucked that day. I don't know the reason. They just had a stinker. It can happen. It does happen. No excuses. But it's life. You ever fluffed a job interview? Ever blown a first date? Humans screw up sometimes even in big moments.

That game is not a referendum on the state of the Bills. This wasn't "finding a way to lose a playoff game" it was not turning up to one.

You’re right! That game was not a referendum on the state of the Bills. The annual failure in the playoffs is. 

14 hours ago, Nephilim17 said:

Yes, I don't know if he got sloppy at times in the past out of overconfidence ("arm arrogance," if you will) but he doesn't always play 60 minutes without a couple bad decisions. You're right: stack good decision and smart throw after another and another. Then he can challenge anyone. 

Not-so-consistent Josh won't beat KC or Cinci otherwise.

You and Shaw are correct, Josh needs to make the next required step if he is to punch his ticket for a championship, he very much needs to incorporate the short passes into his game, and start using his RBs more, this is as well on Dorsey to insist on this in Joshes actions on the field, jmo. We shall see,

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

I’m obviously thrilled that the Bills are at least relevant once again, but I’m beginning to understand how some NBA teams have evolved to just treading water through the regular season in order to be ready come playoff time. I felt that last season the Bills were desperate to win the regular season and then were pretty much spent when the playoffs finally came around (it’s a long season). This year I’m far less concerned about the regular season. The schedule is a challenge for sure but I’ll be perfectly fine with going on the road for the playoffs so long as the Bills still have something left in the tank come January and February. 

• Like (+1) 1

You may be right, but how do you interpret Diggs behavior as anything but a self-indulgent pout? Is it a form of leadership? If so, how does that work? Allen and McDermott say he's just showing that losing isn't ok, but I don't see how posting snark does anyone any good. (To be fair, I don't recall what exactly he said, but it wasn't positive.)

To put it another way, what exactly does Diggs want the Bills to do? Apologize? 

5 minutes ago, finn said:

You may be right, but how do you interpret Diggs behavior as anything but a self-indulgent pout? Is it a form of leadership? If so, how does that work? Allen and McDermott say he's just showing that losing isn't ok, but I don't see how posting snark does anyone any good. (To be fair, I don't recall what exactly he said, but it wasn't positive.)

To put it another way, what exactly does Diggs want the Bills to do? Apologize? 

His behaviour at the end of last season, storming out after the game without changing etc was unacceptable and it was a self-indulgent pout. And I say that as the biggest Diggs fan going. He always holds those around him to high standards but on that occasion he failed to uphold them himself and I would hope he has in some form apologised to the team and the coaches. 

Not turning up for OTAs however is par for the course. He only came to one last year too. I don't think that is a show of anything other than Stef keeps himself in top shape and doesn't feel he needs the OTAs.

On 5/30/2023 at 9:47 AM, Shaw66 said:

I've gotten beyond optimism and pessimism.   Winning a Super Bowl is difficult.  The Bills have enough on offense and defense to do it.  They either will do it, and people's optimism will be justified, or they won't, and people's pessimism will be justified.

I watched the Celtics lose last night, and kept thinking that they are a team that just doesn't have the toughness, including the winner's attitude, to win the championship.  As I watched, I worried that that could describe the Bills, too.    It would break McDermott's heart to admit that his team isn't tough enough to win, and it's up to him to prove that they are. 

I've been saying the celtics are the Bills for the past 2 years.

• Like (+1) 1

My concern is not the Cincinnati game it's the second half of the season looking very vulnerable. They made wins look harder than they should have been. I know they had some mental challenges and things happening but that last half they looked underwhelming for what people expected in my opinion.

On 5/30/2023 at 7:02 AM, GreggTX said:

Still, I remember a year when Joe Namath threw 6 interceptions against the Bills at War Memorial Stadium. It was the only game we won and the only one the Jets lost as they went on to defeat the heavily favored Colts in SB3.

That was the first regular season Bills game my Dad took me to - we had 3 pick sixes

Reasons for optimism:

Bills have the most gifted QB in the NFL

Reasons for pessimism:

Coaching staff has never figured out how to win a playoff game past the divisional round. 

Hyde, Miller, Poyer, White all likely have their best seasons in the past. 

Reasons for neutraility:

Rest of Roster: Some good, some bad, in summary NFL Average. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.