Anyone own a blackstone griddle?

Miyagi-Do Karate

40 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

Just got one for an early Father’s Day present for our lake cottage. Loving it so far!

Made bacon, eggs, and pancakes this morning, and smash burgers this evening for a mess of people. 

anyone else have one of these? Any advice or tips? 

I don’t have one, so I can’t add anything specific.

But I have to say that sounds like a centerpiece for great times with great friends. Few things are better than fun than a big old cookout with family and friends! Cooking out at the lake cottage with the right people sounds awesome! 

• Like (+1) 1

I used to sell these and the 2 bits of advice I can give is that if you have the 17" tabletop version it would be easier on your wallet if you bought the adaptor so you can use the 15-20 lb propane tank... those little screw on tanks get pricey if you use it a lot plus it sucks to run out when you suddenly have a bigger crowd than you first thought.

Other thing is they take a bit of time to get seasoned right, sort of like cast iron pans, so use some sort of cheap shortening like Crisco over your cooking surface when not in use. Get a couple of 6" drywall knives (stainless steel) and the lid off of any 10-12 inch pan to steam/melt, etc. Blackstone accessories are stupidly over priced so just avoid their stuff if possible. Enjoy...

• Thank you (+1) 1

17 hours ago, T&C said:

I used to sell these and the 2 bits of advice I can give is that if you have the 17" tabletop version it would be easier on your wallet if you bought the adaptor so you can use the 15-20 lb propane tank... those little screw on tanks get pricey if you use it a lot plus it sucks to run out when you suddenly have a bigger crowd than you first thought.

Other thing is they take a bit of time to get seasoned right, sort of like cast iron pans, so use some sort of cheap shortening like Crisco over your cooking surface when not in use. Get a couple of 6" drywall knives (stainless steel) and the lid off of any 10-12 inch pan to steam/melt, etc. Blackstone accessories are stupidly over priced so just avoid their stuff if possible. Enjoy...

I agree with this!  Hit Amazon for accessories.  Also, season the hell out of the thing to get it to that cast iron level of crust on it.  I think I did the seasoning process 4-5 times one Saturday and got it just right.  It is much easier to clean once it has the seasoned layer on it.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

18 hours ago, Augie said:

I don’t have one, so I can’t add anything specific.

But I have to say that sounds like a centerpiece for great times with great friends. Few things are better than fun than a big old cookout with family and friends! Cooking out at the lake cottage with the right people sounds awesome! 

I sort of took my time trying to figure out what I wanted at the lake. Had a little charcoal grill, and then got a mini-egg smoker (Kamado joe Jr.). But then I realized when we have a boatload of people over, I just need the space to really go at it. 

this seems perfect. I got the biggest one- 36 inches. Tons of grill top space. I can easily cook for 15-20 people. 

We have the 36” and use it often. I prefer it to our regular propane grill, although it doesn’t completely take the place of it. A few favorites:

Breakfasts:

- eggs, bacon (with press), sausage potatoes, French toast, pancakes, hash browns…not all at one but different combos on different days.

Hibachi:

- fried rice and veggies, usually with chicken but have done steak strips once

Fajitas:

- peppers onions chicken generally

Burgers:

- smash and 1/2 pounders

We’ve tried a few other items (pork chops, etc) but I like to use my other grill for certain cooks, like a steak. 

Our next adventure is going to be pizza. I’ve heard great things.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

I got one for my birthday in May as well.  I love it.  Seasoned it 5-6 times with the blackstone seasoning stuff they sell but I'm sure you can use any type of fat to do it.  I bought the cheaper accessories off Amazon and they're great.  Also, I suggest buying a bulk pack of the tin grease traps.  I'm on #3 already I think.  Cleaning it can be a pain, but I've found that if you clean it right after with the burners still on, it is so much easier.  

My favorites so far:

-Bacon, eggs, corned beef hash obviously

-Steak and cheese hoagies were amazing

-Smash burgers

-Perfect pancakes

I've tried other things like pork chops and chicken but definitely think those are best left to a regular grill. 

3 hours ago, Wooderson said:

I got one for my birthday in May as well.  I love it.  Seasoned it 5-6 times with the blackstone seasoning stuff they sell but I'm sure you can use any type of fat to do it.  I bought the cheaper accessories off Amazon and they're great.  Also, I suggest buying a bulk pack of the tin grease traps.  I'm on #3 already I think.  Cleaning it can be a pain, but I've found that if you clean it right after with the burners still on, it is so much easier.  

My favorites so far:

-Bacon, eggs, corned beef hash obviously

-Steak and cheese hoagies were amazing

-Smash burgers

-Perfect pancakes

I've tried other things like pork chops and chicken but definitely think those are best left to a regular grill. 

Try smashed potato's... boil some red potato's (can do it a day or two in advance) and just smash them on the griddle with your bacon press. Garlic butter and cracked pepper to grill with. Rosemary is good too but it's just a matter of what you like. Add cheese over the top if you want... they are always a hit. I do them in a cast iron frying pan, they are great with eggs, steak, etc. or just as a stand alone.

Edited by T&C
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

54 minutes ago, BillnutinHouston said:

Isn't the Blackstone just a cooking surface?  Other than the cool factor, how is it better or different than a pan on a stove?

Yeah, similar to a cast iron pan. For me, I love the ease of it and the huge cooking space. I cooked like 16 pieces of bacon, 12 scrambled eggs, and a bunch of pancakes at the same time. 

On 5/29/2023 at 1:24 PM, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

I sort of took my time trying to figure out what I wanted at the lake. Had a little charcoal grill, and then got a mini-egg smoker (Kamado joe Jr.). But then I realized when we have a boatload of people over, I just need the space to really go at it. 

this seems perfect. I got the biggest one- 36 inches. Tons of grill top space. I can easily cook for 15-20 people. 

I just saw the 32” one at Costco for $399. I’m tempted to get it.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.