Nyheim Hines gets it, better than the coaches, better than the GM.

Chaos

13 hours ago, JerseyBills said:

Allen refuses to check it down. Been saying this since his rookie year. The check downs would negate his reason to run

The NFL network re-aired the Bills-Ravens game from last year, yesterday.  Josh ran several times, very effectively, and took a couple of tough hits.  But the commentators also mentioned clearly how he was willing (last year) to take the checkdowns, to hit a short distance receiver for a good gain if the deep throw wasn't there. 

There were only a few plays with a designed run for Josh -- most of his best runs came from the defense leaving the middle of the field unguarded to cover the receivers spread across the field.  Josh's runs in that situation bedevil the DCs around the league, forcing them not to guard any part of the Bills offense too heavily.  When the Ravens left people in the middle, the Bills receivers were more open.  THAT'S the main reason Josh's running is so important -- it forces the defense to make unappealing choices, leaving more openings elsewhere.

Hines is right, and the coaches are also right.  There are opportunities to improve how Josh is protected, but it's still part of the Bills offense to let him run if the defense begs him to do so.

4 hours ago, AlCowlingsTaxiService said:

Honestly, checking down doesn’t seem to be his strength here.  I have no statistical evidence of course 😂, but I seem to recall mor than the usual number of errant passes on the check down attempts 

I'm just saying,  watching a guy like Mahomes get 100+ yards a game on easy check downs n dump offs is something I'd love to see incorporated in Josh's game more. 

So many plays a RB or TE is sitting underneath for easy yards and he doesn't try

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

12 hours ago, julian said:

17 is the current NFL QB Ironman while many fans and media types are using his physical play style and rushing abilities as reasons for fear and trepidation.

You’re watching an absolute unicorn beast, the likes of which has never been seen with his combination of physical gifts. 

Sorry to break it to those who insist he change, not gonna happen. I for one hope he never does.

I watched closely how RG3 was tearing up the league and then he tore up his knee.  Never the same and his career essentially was over.  Allen takes too many hits.  It's that simple.

12 hours ago, julian said:

17 is the current NFL QB Ironman while many fans and media types are using his physical play style and rushing abilities as reasons for fear and trepidation.

You’re watching an absolute unicorn beast, the likes of which has never been seen with his combination of physical gifts. 

Sorry to break it to those who insist he change, not gonna happen. I for one hope he never does.

Cam Newton & Andrew Luck...both broke down.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, eball said:

Josh has sustained two “significant” injuries in his tenure as Bills’ QB.  Both to his arm, and both in the pocket.

Yes, he suffered a mild concussion against the Pats*** in 2019 when running, but in the three years since he has not been injured running the ball.

When Josh says he needs to adjust his style of play, he’s talking about not taking unnecessary hits (i.e., not running out of bounds or sliding) and not being careless with the football.  That’s exactly what McD is saying as well.  It’s not about “not running the football.”

Beane knows the OL didn’t do Josh any favors last year, and he went about improving the offense around him.  If the OL improves, and if Josh has confidence in the added pieces, he won’t need to run as much as he has in the past, but his running will still be a weapon the Bills should not be afraid to utilize.

The OP, in my opinion, completely misses the mark in yet another not-so-subtly veiled attempt at criticizing the organization.

I could not agree more, especially with the last.  I would also add, that when you have a player of Josh’s unique skill set, you do not choose to utilize only half of it, or attempt to neuter that natural ability and play making instinct that makes him what he is.  If McD did that, then I would be calling for him to be fired, because he would be an idiot.  You try to harness that ability and utilize it as efficiently as possible.  There will come a day when Allen is no longer a threat on the run.  They are a long way off from there.  While he is, that threat makes Buffalo’s offense more dangerous to any team.  

11 hours ago, julian said:

That’s speculative at best, there seems to be many opinions as to why Allen had a lull in play.

I totally understand people’s fears, during every Allen run I’m yelling “get down get down” I share the fear of injury but it’s into year 6 now and this is who this man is. It’s just funny listening to people have these takes about his risky play at the same time as he’s the leading Ironman.

Allen’s past five years  style of QBing is not likely to win him the big prize, he, (and Dorsey) like it or not need to incorporate the short pass into his QBing style, it’s the most lacking part of his game, short chunks mixed in all the way down the field demoralizes, and tires defenses, it also keeps the opposing offense off the field longer, reducing the opponents opportunities to score points. As we all know, Allen is a damn good QB but he does need to mature on the cognitive side of playing the position, should he do this he becomes unstoppable in the post season.  All of the above, and a functioning O-line puts us over the top. The D just needs to be top ten, and we are good to go. 

go ahead, disagree with me, you’ll just be wrong. 😂

13 hours ago, julian said:

Age will eventually force Allen to modify his game. 

• Agree 1

29 minutes ago, In Summary said:

Age will eventually force Allen to modify his game. 

Of course it will and for the next 5-6 years people will be scared and insisting he must change until his age does what he will not.

• Like (+1) 1

He can run all he wants. He just needs to slide or get out of bounds. Able all, he needs to wrap up the ball a lot better than he has been. There's no excuse for all those fumbles. I understand that some will happen, especially in the pocket when he's holding the ball up and looking downfield. Once he takes off though, he needs to hold that ball against his body like a RB would.

40 minutes ago, Bobby Hooks said:

I want Allen to take less punishment, that’s for sure. A better o-line should help with that. 

Do I want Allen to run less? Kinda. Maybe take out some of the designed runs unless we absolutely need them. 

But when the play breaks down and he has a hole, I want him to take it. That part of his game is what separates him from the others imo. Dudes a Mac truck truck with moves. Utilize that. 

It would be refreshing to have a more balanced offense.  Our RBs collectively ran fewer times than those on any other team.  Why, particularly when they have among the highest YPC averages of any RB tandem in the league.  

3 hours ago, JerseyBills said:

I'm just saying,  watching a guy like Mahomes get 100+ yards a game on easy check downs n dump offs is something I'd love to see incorporated in Josh's game more. 

So many plays a RB or TE is sitting underneath for easy yards and he doesn't try

Brady buttered his bread and made his living on the shorter higher-percentage stuff.  

1 hour ago, julian said:

Of course it will and for the next 5-6 years people will be scared and insisting he must change until his age does what he will not.

He will, he's one of the brightest players in the league, he knows it already.  

• Like (+1) 1

He doesn't get it. Josh Allen is a weapon when he runs. He WANTS to run. He is an elite running QB, one of the best in the history of the game.

This narrative is silly. Is anyone saying Lamar Jackson shouldn't run? Did anyone say that about Vick? Of course not.

There is NO REASON to take away that aspect of his game. The only thing he needs to do is avoid contact a little better and slide a little more. That's all.

4 hours ago, HardyBoy said:

Cam Newton & Andrew Luck...both broke down.

Not from running the ball.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, PBF81 said:

It would be refreshing to have a more balanced offense.  Our RBs collectively ran fewer times than those on any other team.  Why, particularly when they have among the highest YPC averages of any RB tandem in the league.  

Brady buttered his bread and made his living on the shorter higher-percentage stuff.  

He will, he's one of the brightest players in the league, he knows it already.  

I hope you’re wrong, watching him be who he is as a competitor is exhilarating. I know for many it’s all about winning a title,  but for me it’s about the journey and enjoying this once in a lifetime talent use all his gifts.

I focused on the end results in the late 80s and 90s and never really enjoyed and appreciated the team.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, julian said:

I hope you’re wrong, watching him be who he is as a competitor is exhilarating. I know for many it’s all about winning a title,  but for me it’s about the journey and enjoying this once in a lifetime talent use all his gifts.

I focused on the end results in the late 80s and 90s and never really enjoyed and appreciated the team.

Wrong about what in particular?  

1 hour ago, PBF81 said:

Wrong about what in particular?  

Just wrong about Josh changing his aggressive physical running style.

Don’t get me wrong, I don’t wanna see a single designed QB until the playoffs, but I wanna see him rolling out and taking off using his god given size and mobility.

10 hours ago, Utah John said:

The NFL network re-aired the Bills-Ravens game from last year, yesterday.  Josh ran several times, very effectively, and took a couple of tough hits.  But the commentators also mentioned clearly how he was willing (last year) to take the checkdowns, to hit a short distance receiver for a good gain if the deep throw wasn't there. 

There were only a few plays with a designed run for Josh -- most of his best runs came from the defense leaving the middle of the field unguarded to cover the receivers spread across the field.  Josh's runs in that situation bedevil the DCs around the league, forcing them not to guard any part of the Bills offense too heavily.  When the Ravens left people in the middle, the Bills receivers were more open.  THAT'S the main reason Josh's running is so important -- it forces the defense to make unappealing choices, leaving more openings elsewhere.

Hines is right, and the coaches are also right.  There are opportunities to improve how Josh is protected, but it's still part of the Bills offense to let him run if the defense begs him to do so.

Having Kinccaid should help as he would be the guy clearing out the middle of the field.   Tge question is - Will Josh trust him more than he did with Singletary, Cook or Moss

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, julian said:

Just wrong about Josh changing his aggressive physical running style.

Don’t get me wrong, I don’t wanna see a single designed QB until the playoffs, but I wanna see him rolling out and taking off using his god given size and mobility.

I was just commenting on the running game in general.  For some balance, particularly when the running game is working, it makes sense to use the RBs to run the ball.  Our RBs have been underutilized the entire time that Allen's been here.  

I wouldn't harness his scrambling or improv abilities, but I would say I'd really love to see a '90s caliber OL giving him more time back there to convert some of the necessity for him to scramble into greater passing.  He can lead the league in passing easily.  

I'm of the mind that this season's offense has the potential to be the Air Coryell of 2023.  It's really going to depend upon whether the OL is really improved and then on Dorsey and McD.  We'll see.  Right now it's just potential.  

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.