Nyheim Hines gets it, better than the coaches, better than the GM.

Chaos

Listening to Nyheim Hines on XM radio NFL channel today was very encouraging.  He was asked about whether or not Josh Allen should be running less.  And his response was perfect. (paraphrasing here).  Hines said : Its the job of the coaches and the rest of the offense to protect Allen and play better, so there is no reason for him to run.    The correct response and far more on point the McDermotts and Beanes off-season whining on this subject. 

• Like (+1) 13
  • Eyeroll 4
  • Sad 1
  • Disagree 3
  • Agree 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Chaos said:

Listening to Nyheim Hines on XM radio NFL channel today was very encouraging.  He was asked about whether or not Josh Allen should be running less.  And his response was perfect. (paraphrasing here).  Hines said : Its the job of the coaches and the rest of the offense to protect Allen and play better, so there is no reason for him to run.    The correct response and far more on point the McDermotts and Beanes off-season whining on this subject. 

McDermott:

"Yeah, we want to evolve," McDermott told NFL Network's Judy Battista during an interview at the Annual League Meeting. "We're always trying to evolve -- on the field, off the field, schematically -- and in this case with Josh's running or the amount of times that we run him, we have to continue to evolve that way and making sure we're doing right by him by doing right by our team. So, we are going to keep a close eye on that. But the one thing we will never take from Josh is his competitive nature and spirit. So, he's gonna do it when he's gonna do it."

Beane:

General Manager Brandon Beane says it’s his job to make sure that Allen is getting the protection and targets he needs in order to stay in good condition throughout the season. Beane also acknowledged that there are going to be moments when Allen has to go for it before adding that he’s happy to hear the quarterback thinking more strategically about when he’s going to take risks in the future.

So not sure what you are talking about. There are some times when Allen does not HAVE to take the punishment he does. Minimizing those risks, are not whining, thats smart. Think Hines would say the same.

Edited by What a Tuel
  • Like (+1) 16
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 3
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

19 minutes ago, What a Tuel said:

McDermott:

Beane:

So not sure what you are talking about. There are some times when Allen does not HAVE to take the punishment he does. Minimizing those risks, are not whining, thats smart. Think Hines would say the same.

Was gonna say I've heard both of them say this a dozen times 

29 minutes ago, Chaos said:

Those are not the only comments from the coaches.  

I'd rather see Allen run with the ball as a last resort.

However, if the opportunity is there, say on a blitz, and Allen has 15-20 yards in front of him, then by all means, take off!

Same goes for when the Bills are at or inside the 5 yard line. If Allen can get a touchdown on his own, do it.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

17 is the current NFL QB Ironman while many fans and media types are using his physical play style and rushing abilities as reasons for fear and trepidation.

You’re watching an absolute unicorn beast, the likes of which has never been seen with his combination of physical gifts. 

Sorry to break it to those who insist he change, not gonna happen. I for one hope he never does.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

45 minutes ago, julian said:

17 is the current NFL QB Ironman while many fans and media types are using his physical play style and rushing abilities as reasons for fear and trepidation.

You’re watching an absolute unicorn beast, the likes of which has never been seen with his combination of physical gifts. 

Sorry to break it to those who insist he change, not gonna happen. I for one hope he never does.

I  love it too.  But, just to play devil’s advocate, he never seemed the same last season after taking that hit against Green Bay in the 1st half at the tail end of a run.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, RiotAct said:

I  love it too.  But, just to play devil’s advocate, he never seemed the same last season after taking that hit against Green Bay in the 1st half at the tail end of a run.

That’s speculative at best, there seems to be many opinions as to why Allen had a lull in play.

I totally understand people’s fears, during every Allen run I’m yelling “get down get down” I share the fear of injury but it’s into year 6 now and this is who this man is. It’s just funny listening to people have these takes about his risky play at the same time as he’s the leading Ironman.

1 hour ago, julian said:

I’m right there with you 100%. Well, more like 99%. There’s always that 1% of me that worries every time he takes off. But I don’t care. I want to watch the most electrifying player in the game and 17 is it when he’s doing superhero things. I’ll just trust that he’s good and getting better at minimizing his hits when he takes off and be happy with that. 

• Like (+1) 5

10 minutes ago, mrags said:

I’m right there with you 100%. Well, more like 99%. There’s always that 1% of me that worries every time he takes off. But I don’t care. I want to watch the most electrifying player in the game and 17 is it when he’s doing superhero things. I’ll just trust that he’s good and getting better at minimizing his hits when he takes off and be happy with that. 

Not that you're saying this but my issue isn't that he runs when he feels the timing is right or to make a play or that he even runs when there's a target he didn't see open.

It's that he does that and then the coaches call additional run plays for him.  Ridiculous,  IMO.  That's where I get frustrated with their comments and some posters here.

16 minutes ago, mrags said:

Yeah I always fear for his health when he’s running and trucking people, but ***** I’m jumping outta my seat and going nuts after those highlight plays.

It’s a competitive sport but it’s also entertainment and 17 is the most entertaining player in the league.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Hines ... he's that pass-catching running back that Beane coveted so much after McKissick threw the screws to the Bills.

He's also that pass-catching running back who Father McDermott and his altar boy Kenny Dorsey turned into a special teamer.

Hines knows the deal ...

• Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

13 hours ago, Chaos said:

This is stupid. “No reason for him to run”.  It’s crazy that you think this is the best response. As if Andy Reid and Nick sirianni failed too…. As if Patrick Mahomes and Jalen Hurts didn’t run en route to the Super Bowl.  If you have a QB that can run, your QB should run when he has to.  “There’s no reason to run” is 💩 there’s reason.  

The correct response should be what mcdermott and Beane have been saying all along.  They need to protect him better, they need to give him more playmakers and they need to alleviate some of the pressure while Josh has to make better decisions and slide more.  

There’s nothing wrong what they are saying.  What’s been wrong is the acquisitions along the OL and lack of investment in WRs in past seasons. 

Edited by NewEra
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Gugny said:

Hines ... he's that pass-catching running back that Beane coveted so much after McKissick threw the screws to the Bills.

He's also that pass-catching running back who Father McDermott and his altar boy Kenny Dorsey turned into a special teamer.

Hines knows the deal ...

Priest and Boy by Lawrence Carmichael Earle.jpg

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Chaos said:

... whined the whiner, whiningly, in his whining OP.

Edited by Thurman#1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.