PSA For Men of TSW

The Avenger

OK, not exactly the type of LAMP I want to make, but I feel this is important.

Gentlemen, do your shower self-checks for testicular lumps/abnormalities. 

This is something I have not been good at remembering. This week I found a lump - a huge lump and it was scary as s%¡+. Immediately called my primary care doctor and they gave me an appointment the next day. Doc asked all kinds of questions including how long since I noticed the issue. I felt absolutely awful that my lack of checking could have allowed a serious issue grow until it was a major growth.

Got an ultrasound at the hospital the next day (not painful at all) and within hours got the report that it was a cyst and not anything scarier like a tumor or unknown mass - WHEW!

A couple of anxious days and restless nights and now I'm all about reminding guys to be diligent - we're usually not so great at self care but you don't want a situation like this. The women in your life probably do their self checks - we need to follow suit.

Edited by The Avenger
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Been there, in 2005/6, and glad that you're okay.

My *****, like out of nowhere, swelled to the size of a grapefruit.  My doctor (PCP) saw me first and I was sent immediately to a surgeon.  The surgeon's eyes grew wide, and next thing you know they're shining a flashlight through my *****, in a dark room.  I had an x-ray if memory serves, and then I definitely remember the ultrasound.

It turned out to be a hydrocele, and I had surgery for it in January 2006.  I had to wear this scrotal strap for two weeks, and standing up wasn't the best for at least a week.

But I second the opinion of the OP: if something is amiss, see a doctor right away.

Edited by TheCockSportif

16 minutes ago, TheCockSportif said:

My *****, like out of nowhere, swelled to the size of a grapefruit.  My doctor (PCP) saw me first and I was sent immediately to a surgeon.  The surgeon's eyes grew wide, and next thing you know they're shining a flashlight through my *****, in a dark room.  I had an x-ray if memory serves, and then I definitely remember the ultrasound.

It turned out to be a hydrocele, and I had surgery for it in January 2006.  I had to wear this scrotal strap for two weeks, and standing up wasn't the best for at least a week.

But I second the opinion of the OP: if something is amiss, see a doctor right away.

Glad YOU'RE OK - stuff is scary and seems like there are plenty of things that are not life threatening, but it just shows how you have keep tabs on what's up and sound the alarm immediately if something isn't right. 

• Like (+1) 1

Had a large hydrocele (got hit with a racquetball) back in 1980.Had to take it easy for about a week but was fine. 

In addition , get a PSA test yearly. A friend  told me he had no symptoms whatsoever (sexual or urinary) but his PSA test came up sky high.  His doc said he was stage 3 close to stage 4  and the prostate was just full of cancer when they ran all the tests. He had the surgery  and is cancer free still 3 years later.

Edited by Wacka
  • Like (+1) 2

59 minutes ago, TheCockSportif said:

And another screen name is explained.  "Paul Harvey..............good day!"

Edited by Ridgewaycynic2013
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

Had a scare same as OP on the second day of spring semester classes at uni, freshman year. Appointment was three days later. I ended up taking a leave of absence for the semester because it really shook me up. It was / is huge so I had convinced myself it was Bad News, but yes, “just” a cyst so I guess one could say I have big balls. 

• Haha (+1) 1

Was clicking on one of those click bait sites today and it said if a man pees on a pregnancy test  and it is positive, he should get checked for testicular cancer. Some testicular tumors can produce  HCG (human chorionic gonadotropin) which is what the test detects.

Aside;  The HCG was discovered by a prof in the Biology deptartmet at UB). That reminded me when I had the hydrocele back in 1980. Get the blood tests from the doctoe's visit and see a pregnancy test  listed that insurance didn't pay at first. That's when the doc told me about the HCG. Of course the test was negative. That was before the pee stick test was developed.

Nearly 30 years ago, I detected a "third testicle" in my *****; it was a bit smaller than the regular balls, but also somewhat harder to the touch. It turned out to be a cyst, and removal was a simple outpatient surgery. There was a slight problem after the surgery as there was some liquid build-up and my ***** swelled. The suture decided to burst while I was at work, but I managed to get home without attracting anybody's attention. The operation did not have any negative effect on the natural function: our two kids were born several years after this incident.

Young guys, this advice isn't just for the old folks. Testicular cancer is most common in men in their late 20s-early 30s, and the rate really starts spiking around 19-20. If you're a teenager you probably can't stop touching yourself anyway so you might as well do something useful while you're down there.

• Like (+1) 1

On 5/28/2023 at 2:38 PM, Wacka said:

Had a large hydrocele (got hit with a racquetball) back in 1980.Had to take it easy for about a week but was fine. 

In addition , get a PSA test yearly. A friend  told me he had no symptoms whatsoever (sexual or urinary) but his PSA test came up sky high.  His doc said he was stage 3 close to stage 4  and the prostate was just full of cancer when they ran all the tests. He had the surgery  and is cancer free still 3 years later.

There is a lot of literature out there now about PSA testing and whether or not it makes sense to even get tested if you are under age 70. I guess there is a strong view that prostate cancer is very contained and also over-diagnosed, and so people might consider not getting tested and the. being stressed about it and getting unnecessary treatment. 

I am not saying that is the right thing. But my doctor told me to really read up on it before making a decision as to whether to get periodic screening. 

https://www.uspreventiveservicestaskforce.org/uspstf/recommendation/prostate-cancer-screening

PSA is just a blood test and can be done when you have a blood draw for other periodic tests.Friend had it done  and the year before it was normal. If he would have skipped that year, he probably be dead now.

• Like (+1) 1

On 5/30/2023 at 11:45 AM, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

There is a lot of literature out there now about PSA testing and whether or not it makes sense to even get tested if you are under age 70. I guess there is a strong view that prostate cancer is very contained and also over-diagnosed, and so people might consider not getting tested and the. being stressed about it and getting unnecessary treatment. 

I am not saying that is the right thing. But my doctor told me to really read up on it before making a decision as to whether to get periodic screening. 

https://www.uspreventiveservicestaskforce.org/uspstf/recommendation/prostate-cancer-screening

My family (thankfully) does not have a cancer history (it's heart issues instead), but when the body tells you something, it's wise to listen and to go to a doctor.

Thank goodness you’re OK.  Self care is greatly underrated with men.  It doesn’t hit home usually unless something happens.  About a year ago one day I woke up and couldn’t pee.  Like it took a half hour for a dribble.  Took me two friggin days to tell my wife-and I’m in Healthcare for Christ sakes. 
Was a basic prostate infection but scared the crap

out of me

Thanks for posting it’s highly important!

Edited by Behindenemylines
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.